Voyager XII shifting issues

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

drewdavis
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Voyager XII shifting issues

Post by drewdavis »

I can't shift up.Shifts into 1st gear smooth & normal,clutch works fine,takes off fine,but can't shift up.It just goes into neutral.Then the only way I can shift after that is back into 1st.

Does anyone know what this could be?
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 392 times

Re: Voyager XII shifting issues

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Kawasaki has a couple of cool features that other bikes don't. One is that unless you're moving you can't shift into 2nd. Makes it very very easy to find neutral. Another is, when the bike is cold, for the first mile or two (depending upon how cold it is) it won't shift into 2nd until about 3200 rpm.

So, my question is, are you having trouble shifting into 2nd whilst moving, or when sitting still?
These users liked GrandpaDenny's post:
cushman eagle (Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:26 am)
Rating: 12.5%
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 1500 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

drewdavis wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:06 am I can't shift up.Shifts into 1st gear smooth & normal,clutch works fine,takes off fine,but can't shift up.It just goes into neutral.Then the only way I can shift after that is back into 1st.

Looking at your post again, I see you say it's when you're moving. So, my guess is that it's cold out, the bike's cold, and once it warms up a little it'll be fine. Try running her up to about 3200rpm or so, she should shift then. Kinda weird, ain't it? I'm guess that's probably due to the same feature - the Kawasaki Positive Neutral Finder I think it's called - why you don't have to hunt around between 1st and 2nd trying to find neutral. When stopped, click up, right into Neutral, nowhere else. I like that.
These users liked GrandpaDenny's post:
Stew (Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:16 pm) • cushman eagle (Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:36 pm)
Rating: 25%
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 1500 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Manuals:
Conrad
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 93 kawasaki voyager xii
89 yamaha venture royale
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Conrad »

I concour, when i started riding my voyager the "won't shift to 2nd" thing threw me for a bit, especially with a cold engine. It does like to wind up a bit more before shifting until it's warmed up, but fine once you get used to it.
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 809 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:30 pm
drewdavis wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:06 am I can't shift up.Shifts into 1st gear smooth & normal,clutch works fine,takes off fine,but can't shift up.It just goes into neutral.Then the only way I can shift after that is back into 1st.

Looking at your post again, I see you say it's when you're moving. So, my guess is that it's cold out, the bike's cold, and once it warms up a little it'll be fine. Try running her up to about 3200rpm or so, she should shift then. Kinda weird, ain't it? I'm guess that's probably due to the same feature - the Kawasaki Positive Neutral Finder I think it's called - why you don't have to hunt around between 1st and 2nd trying to find neutral. When stopped, click up, right into Neutral, nowhere else. I like that.
I agree Grandpa,when I first tried riding my VXII,I thought I had a trans problem,as I tried shifting at a low engine speed with a cold engine,and it would not go past 2nd.I tried revving it higher and it worked.
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 547 times

Post by Nails »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:04 pmOne is that unless you're moving you can't shift into 2nd.
I found out that "moving" does not mean just coasting. (I was trying to bump-start down a hill that wasn't very steep. It's also good to check the kill switch once in a while. A brain-dead circumstance after a long day in the saddle.)
--
Nails
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Nails wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:03 am I found out that "moving" does not mean just coasting. (I was trying to bump-start down a hill that wasn't very steep. It's also good to check the kill switch once in a while. A brain-dead circumstance after a long day in the saddle.)
I was never able to bump-start Gertrude, no matter how fast I was going.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 1500 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Manuals:

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”