New progressive front rebuild and my new seals are pouring fluid please advise

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

New2Voyagers
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1991 Voyager XII 47k miles
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0

New progressive front rebuild and my new seals are pouring fluid please advise

Post by New2Voyagers »

I just rebuilt the front fork 100% new bushings, new seals, new progressive, new Orings and brass washers. As soon as I hit the first bump I looked down to see fork oil everywhere. I'm wondering If I was given the wrong seals. When installing them the they kind of just "fell into" place. I thought it was weird how easily they went in with no force at all and essentially just the c clip holding them in place. Is this normal for the seals to fit this way or should they have to have some sort of "press" to them to seat properly. Thank you in advance! I also filled the tube in a compressed state to 145mm or 5.709 inches from the top as specified before inserting the springs. This took roughly between 8-12oz of fluid per fork. On a positive not the springs ride phenomenally now, just leak like a siv.
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 547 times

Re: New progressive front rebuild and my new seals are pouring fluid please advise

Post by Nails »

New2Voyagers wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:52 pmI looked down to see fork oil everywhere.
You don't actually come out and say that the seals leaked.
New2Voyagers wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:52 pmI thought it was weird how easily they went in with no force at all
Are the new ones the same size as the ones you took out?

You normally need to gently tap them in, taking care to keep them square. There are drivers, or use the old seal as a driver if it isn't too mangled.
New2Voyagers wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:52 pmtook roughly between 8-12oz of fluid per fork.
The manual says 391ml, which works out to 13.75oz.
--
Nails
New2Voyagers
Streetster
Streetster

Re: New progressive front rebuild and my new seals are pouring fluid please advise

Post by New2Voyagers »

Nails wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:32 pm
New2Voyagers wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:52 pmI looked down to see fork oil everywhere.
You don't actually come out and say that the seals leaked.
New2Voyagers wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:52 pmI thought it was weird how easily they went in with no force at all
Are the new ones the same size as the ones you took out?

You normally need to gently tap them in, taking care to keep them square. There are drivers, or use the old seal as a driver if it isn't too mangled.
New2Voyagers wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:52 pmtook roughly between 8-12oz of fluid per fork.
The manual says 391ml, which works out to 13.75oz.

Yes the seals are leaking like there isn't even a seal there. They seemed the same size when I compared them, however the old ones remained in place even without the c clip in place, the new ones would slide in and out of place with just the movement of the inner fork, no tapping or pushing necessary. The manual measurement you refer of 391ml is that with the oem springs or the progressive swap out?
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

It's in the service manual. I recommend that you download it.
--
Nails
New2Voyagers
Streetster
Streetster

Post by New2Voyagers »

Nails wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:39 pm It's in the service manual. I recommend that you download it.
I appreciate the help, I have it downloaded as well as the supplemental manual, however in this particular instance it does me no good since the manual doesn't cover the progessive spring swap out, or the required amount of oil for the new setup. I printed out and followed the guide from the tech write up on the forum which specifies to fill the tube without the spring installed in a compressed state until the level reaches 145mm below the top of the inner fork tube.
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 809 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

The new seals should take some force to install,not just a" fall in place" fit :hmm:
When I replaced my seals I found piece of tubing that fit to drive the seal in,it did not take much force just a lite tap with a small hammer. :thmup:
These users liked cushman eagle's post:
New2Voyagers (Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:56 am)
Rating: 12.5%
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
New2Voyagers
Streetster
Streetster

Post by New2Voyagers »

cushman eagle wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:18 am The new seals should take some force to install,not just a" fall in place" fit :hmm:
When I replaced my seals I found piece of tubing that fit to drive the seal in,it did not take much force just a lite tap with a small hammer. :thmup:
That's what I thought. So here's what I did so I could confirm I'm not losing my mind. I busted out the dusty old micrometer and measured the old seals. They measured 41mm Inside diameter 54mm outside diameter and 11mm thickness. The seals that's I was sent as part of the kit that was supposed to be specific for this bike measure 41mm ID 53mm OD and 8mm thick. I can only conclude I was sent the wrong seals. 1mm doesn't sound like a lot, but in terms of holding in fork oil that's a grand canyon. I have ordered another set of seals with the correct measurements and assured that it had the correct collar spring to seat properly. I will post an update if this resolves it.
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 809 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

I am hoping you find that to be the fix. :hmm:
In my GS850GL days,my forks started leaking so I got a set of 'money-saving' after-market seals,and installed them,and the first ride,they leaked :bat:
When I removed them I saw they had no garter spring :-O but they were cheaper :laughing:
Yes I got to do the job the 2nd time.
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

New2Voyagers wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:25 pmit does me no good since the manual doesn't cover the progessive spring swap out, or the required amount of oil for the new setup.
I don't think the brand of spring has much to do with the fork oil level; but lots of opinions about the best level, anyway. https://www.amervoyassoc.org/forum/view ... 338#p91338 describes some prevalent ones and the manual citations.
--
Nails
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
1996 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 98 times

Post by VoyKimmer »

I suggest you purchase a Motion Pro fork seal driver and not use a pipe. I went thru so may seals and leaks until I brought the proper tools for the job, also watch Carl Leo’s video when he was at the Santa Fe rally and did a very good video on forks . I watch it every time I do my forks . Get the proper seals from a reputable company or get then from Carl. The proper amount of fluid for progressive s is 145 mm.
Also make sure you remove the filter and the spacer before putting the cap on. The cap sits right on top of the spring.
These users liked VoyKimmer's post:
Stew (Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:51 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Van Voyager »

Use an appropriate sized piece of ABS tubing, and putting the old seals upside down on top of the new seals, drive them home. Been doing it that way for 50 years. The only time I've ever had a leak was when I once used crappy 'Leak Proof' seals which were too small and leaked right away (just like the OP). I always use OEM seals, if available, and if not, I get a high quality industrial match from a hydraulic seal retailer.

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”