Throttle actuator motor noise

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Ski_911
Current bike(s): 2010 Vulcan Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Throttle actuator motor noise

Post by Ski_911 »

Hello all, I'm a new member just getting familiar with my new (to me) 2010 Voyager.

Liking the bike so far, but I noticed an odd noise and I don't know if it's normal operation or not. When I turn the key to the RUN position, the throttle actuator motor makes a continuous whining sound. Even if the kill switch is in the OFF position. I expected it to do a system check and then hush up until it's actually running, but this thing just keeps on with the annoying whine. Is that par for the course or is mine on it's way out or something?

I pulled the right side cover and the throttle plates operate (open and close) while turning the the back and forth, and all seems fine... other than the noise. I can't hear the noise if I start the bike as the engine and exhaust drown it out.

Thanks for any insight! :thanks:
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 205 times
Been liked: 550 times

Re: Throttle actuator motor noise

Post by Nails »

That motor is under the right fairing. I has a limited range of movement, so how do you know that's actually where the noise is coming from/ Does your CC actually work?

Perhaps you're just hearing the fuel pump.

The CC is a complicated affair, and I don't remember many details now (there are many). But it's described in the manual (the supplemental section) along with checks. I've spent significant time wrapping my head around it, and I've fixed it several times only to have something else go south. Maybe I'll figure out what's wrong this time during an upcoming major repair task.

All I'm trying to say is that you should spend some quality time with the manual and fussing with what's under the right fairing. The noise you describe might be coming from that motor; and it might even be something you can adjust away. Good luck.

Or search "fuel pump" here for a lot if information that will likely answer your question.
--
Nails

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”