od and mileage

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

tiredofbs4
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1985 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

od and mileage

Post by tiredofbs4 »

Ok from what i read on mileage im getting considerably less but most of what i read seems everyone went from the onboard readout. Mine will readout 31 to 33 but i keep log on app and it consistently calculates to in the 24 to 28 mpg actually. Does anyone actually track their mileage besides onboard display? And i see the overdrive light on alot is there possibility this causing my mileage? Is there way to not go into overdrive?
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): '82 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre
'82 Kawasaki KZ1100D Spectre
'84 Kawasaki Voyager 1300 with
'79 Vetter Terraplane sidecar
'85 Kawasaki Voyager 1300
2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager XII
Been liked: 1 time

Re: od and mileage

Post by trikebldr »

Well, let's get on the same page in terminology first.
There is no "overdrive", but rather, a "cruise" mode, where the fuel injection system slightly leans out the mixture for better mileage. I've never noticed any difference on any of my three Voyagers using the Cruise mode, but then I have always pulled a sidecar, so who knows how well it worked!
However, getting only 24 to 28 would worry me. I still get around 34mpg average on the highway when pulling the sidecar with a passenger and doing between 70mph and 80mph.
There is a fuel pressure regulator in the system that instantly increases the pressure to the injectors when the vacuum drops, as when turning up the wick. If that regulator sticks open, you may be running at the higher pressure all the time, and not just when the engine needs it. At idle, it should read 33psi, and at the instant you turn the throttle up it should increase pressure to 36psi. If you have a cracked vacuum line going to the regulator, it will look to the regulator like a vacuum drop and the pressure will be higher, killing your fuel mileage. If you are running a high pressure fault, then your plugs should show a very dark brown, if not black. Same for the ends of the tail pipes. mine show a nice light tan.
If you don't already have one, you need to get a manual, especially the supplemental, and read up on the procedure to test that pressure regulator for function. Pages 3-22 through 3-26. If it's bad, they are a "dime a dozen" on eBay, used, and in working condition.
A lot of guys think they can replace it with an after market adjustable regulator, but those don't adjust "on the fly" according to the vacuum signal like the stock one, so they lose performance when cranking on the throttle.
Another issue that has happened to one of my Voyagers is the fuel return line going into the tank was plugged enough to not let all of the pressure-bleed-off fuel return from the regulator, causing an extremely high pressure at the injectors, making the engine run rich. You might want to check for any blockage in the regulation system.
What year is your Voyager? How many miles? Is there any rust showing AT ALL in the neck of the gas tank? Have you tested the fuel pressure yet? Have you inspected all of the hoses in the system?
These bikes have a very sophisticated fuel system and you need to stay on top of everything to be sure it all works. If you do, they start right off, run strong even when cold, and don't stumble when cracking the throttle like some carb systems tend to do. And, the entire system is very easy to clean, even the injectors! just try not to remove or disturb the throttle position sensor. It's a bear to get adjusted right again without the special tools needed. Most Kwak shops don't even have those tools anymore!
You might check the tell-tale paint marks on the screws of the position sensor to see if it has ever been removed. If they have been disturbed, that sensor may be out of adjustment and that will definitely screw up your mileage and/or your performance. It takes a lot of miles of trial and error testing and adjustment to finally get it right.
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by trikebldr »

Oh, BTW, that "cruise" mode can easily be turned off by pushing the "Cruise" button located right next to the ignition key.
My apologies about the term "Overdrive". The owner's manual does refer to an "Overdrive". Most of us just call that fifth gear. And, there are a couple of guys on here that would refer to it as an Underdrive! But, it shouldn't have much to do with the terrible mileage you seem to be getting. In fact, on the highway, fifth gear should give you the best mileage.
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 223 times

Post by Me Again »

The O/D light next to the tach is for 5th gear.,which is a true overdrive ,but not by much.
Set the "cruise" button on and leave it on .That's usually good for an extra 2 mpg.
The only thing I might add to trikebldr's post is if you notice it starts real hard when cold ,it may be time to set the valves.
Put in some fresh plugs and try that .Also go out after dark and check for any arcing from plugs,wires or coils.
The bike I have now got real poor gas mileage and ran poor when you opened her up but great at just a steady pace .I found someone had switched the +/- coil wires
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by trikebldr »

Bill, we'll just have to agree to disagree on the +/- coil wires theory, and the incorrect use of the term "Overdrive" by Kwak. I'm sure Lucasind can tell you it surely is not what most consider to be an overdriven gear. If fourth gear were driven at the same speed as the crankshaft, then fifth could be called overdriven, but all five gears are driven at a reduced rate from the crank. "Overdrive" used to mean driven faster than the crankshaft.
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 223 times

Post by Me Again »

No . It's a true Overdrive . .9 something to 1.Maybe not a great overdrive but technically still an overdrive
The +/- wires were switched on the 2/5 coil (think it was green and red).
After I switched them ,bike smoothed out and mileage jumped more than 7 MPG.
Probably not tiredofbs4 problem because he does not complain about performance issues
tiredofbs4
Streetster
Streetster
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Post by tiredofbs4 »

trikebldr wrote:Well, let's get on the same page in terminology first.
There is no "overdrive", but rather, a "cruise" mode, where the fuel injection system slightly leans out the mixture for better mileage. I've never noticed any difference on any of my three Voyagers using the Cruise mode, but then I have always pulled a sidecar, so who knows how well it worked!
However, getting only 24 to 28 would worry me. I still get around 34mpg average on the highway when pulling the sidecar with a passenger and doing between 70mph and 80mph.
There is a fuel pressure regulator in the system that instantly increases the pressure to the injectors when the vacuum drops, as when turning up the wick. If that regulator sticks open, you may be running at the higher pressure all the time, and not just when the engine needs it. At idle, it should read 33psi, and at the instant you turn the throttle up it should increase pressure to 36psi. If you have a cracked vacuum line going to the regulator, it will look to the regulator like a vacuum drop and the pressure will be higher, killing your fuel mileage. If you are running a high pressure fault, then your plugs should show a very dark brown, if not black. Same for the ends of the tail pipes. mine show a nice light tan.
If you don't already have one, you need to get a manual, especially the supplemental, and read up on the procedure to test that pressure regulator for function. Pages 3-22 through 3-26. If it's bad, they are a "dime a dozen" on eBay, used, and in working condition.
A lot of guys think they can replace it with an after market adjustable regulator, but those don't adjust "on the fly" according to the vacuum signal like the stock one, so they lose performance when cranking on the throttle.
Another issue that has happened to one of my Voyagers is the fuel return line going into the tank was plugged enough to not let all of the pressure-bleed-off fuel return from the regulator, causing an extremely high pressure at the injectors, making the engine run rich. You might want to check for any blockage in the regulation system.
What year is your Voyager? How many miles? Is there any rust showing AT ALL in the neck of the gas tank? Have you tested the fuel pressure yet? Have you inspected all of the hoses in the system?
These bikes have a very sophisticated fuel system and you need to stay on top of everything to be sure it all works. If you do, they start right off, run strong even when cold, and don't stumble when cracking the throttle like some carb systems tend to do. And, the entire system is very easy to clean, even the injectors! just try not to remove or disturb the throttle position sensor. It's a bear to get adjusted right again without the special tools needed. Most Kwak shops don't even have those tools anymore!
You might check the tell-tale paint marks on the screws of the position sensor to see if it has ever been removed. If they have been disturbed, that sensor may be out of adjustment and that will definitely screw up your mileage and/or your performance. It takes a lot of miles of trial and error testing and adjustment to finally get it right.
Yep the O/D is the display up top. Tyvm for your suggestions only had this bike 3 weeks. It is 85 has 38, 500 miles now had 37200 when i got it
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by trikebldr »

Me Again, PMs sent.

Tiredofbs4, once we get your bike lined out to run right, you will absolutely love it. Yours is a nice, low mileage bike, so lots of life in her! The coils have been a weak point on these bikes for some guys, although my '83 went over 212,000 miles with not one lick of trouble. They are highly stressed coils and tend to break down to ground, as Me Again suggested. His suggestion to look for sparks at night is a good start to check for ignition issues. If your bike feels like a NASA Rocket, as they should, then I suspect too much fuel pressure causing bad mileage. Look for black soot. I might suggest running a series of tank fillups using Seafoam for a while, too. For a few fillups, double the amount of Seafoam suggested as normal. That will slowly clean out any gunk buildup that is going to be removed, easily. My '85 responded nicely to that treatment. My '84 was already squeaky clean inside.
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by trikebldr »

I forgot to mention that the trip calculator only sees the number of times the injectors are told to fire, and that is how it calculates your mileage; the number of fires times the miles driven. But, the fuel pressure is not monitored, so if it runs higher than normal pressure, the computer doesn't see that.
tiredofbs4
Streetster
Streetster
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Post by tiredofbs4 »

trikebldr wrote:Me Again, PMs sent.

Tiredofbs4, once we get your bike lined out to run right, you will absolutely love it. Yours is a nice, low mileage bike, so lots of life in her! The coils have been a weak point on these bikes for some guys, although my '83 went over 212,000 miles with not one lick of trouble. They are highly stressed coils and tend to break down to ground, as Me Again suggested. His suggestion to look for sparks at night is a good start to check for ignition issues. If your bike feels like a NASA Rocket, as they should, then I suspect too much fuel pressure causing bad mileage. Look for black soot. I might suggest running a series of tank fillups using Seafoam for a while, too. For a few fillups, double the amount of Seafoam suggested as normal. That will slowly clean out any gunk buildup that is going to be removed, easily. My '85 responded nicely to that treatment. My '84 was already squeaky clean inside.
212,000 is impressive and I would be thrilled as I ride year arounf. I RODE A LITTLE 400 CC YAMAHA OVER 27000 miles in 15 months so nice riding sonething more comfy and somebleg room. My only real concern has been the mpg but every tank been 22 to 28 mpg
trikebldr
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by trikebldr »

When you buy a bike like these brand new, it's not hard at all to get 200k+ miles, and even 300k+ before any major work needed. With so few miles as yours has, if you go through it carefully, and completely, it should also give you such figures.
You definitely have an issue if that's your mileage. let's work on it.
First, do you have both manuals? Or, at least the ZN1300 Supplemental manual? You will need that, plus some fuel tubing, a fuel line "T", and a decent fuel pressure gauge. When you hook it up to the "T", clamp it or the pressure is enough to blow the hoses off in some cases.
tiredofbs4
Streetster
Streetster
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Post by tiredofbs4 »

trikebldr wrote:When you buy a bike like these brand new, it's not hard at all to get 200k+ miles, and even 300k+ before any major work needed. With so few miles as yours has, if you go through it carefully, and completely, it should also give you such figures.
You definitely have an issue if that's your mileage. let's work on it.
First, do you have both manuals? Or, at least the ZN1300 Supplemental manual? You will need that, plus some fuel tubing, a fuel line "T", and a decent fuel pressure gauge. When you hook it up to the "T", clamp it or the pressure is enough to blow the hoses off in some cases.
None of those and not much of mechanicbut was asking so could maybe have i deas to get a buddy to help me
Bonsaicat
Current bike(s): Blackbird GSX1100G bandit 1250 Voyager XIII

Post by Bonsaicat »

I am new to this forum and still learining my new to me 88 voyager xii. why is my OD light on all the time and what does it do again?
how do i turn it off and on?
Lee
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 812 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

Welcome,Bonsaicat,to the AVA family :thmup: In answer to the OD light,it should come on in 5th gear.If it is on in other gears,there is a good possibility the wire going down to the switch that senses the 5th gear position has a short in it,giving you a false indication.That wire goes into the transmission next to the oil level sight glass behind the left driver foot peg.This is on the Voyager 1200.I see it is posted in the Voyager 1300 forum.I have no experience on the 1300,in case those are what you are asking about.
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

Bonsaicat;

As well as the advice from cushman eagle, another possibility is someone has intentionally grounded the Orange/White wire which becomes a Black wire to the 5th gear, (OD), switch. The connector where this colour change takes place is on the LH frame rail by the #1 carburetor and has a Black/Yellow; Brown/Red; Blue/Red; Light Green as well as the Orange/White wire. All of the wires change colour from this connector onwards except for the ground which is the Black/Yellow wire.The connection from the switch to the sub harness is a short pigtail for a single bullet type terminal, about 2-1/2" long.
OR, the 5th gear, (OD), switch itself is malfunctioning.
Sometimes owners ground the OD wire if the switch isn't working. That way they can still use the Cruise Control which won't work without the OD light on the meter assembly lit up.
One could wire a toggle switch on the wire to turn the constant on OD light either on or off by using this toggle switch, thereby mimicking a properly working OD switch. Just a thought.
Bonsaicat
Current bike(s): Blackbird GSX1100G bandit 1250 Voyager XIII

Post by Bonsaicat »

Thank you very much for the help it doesn’t seem like it would be a big problem with the motorcycle functioning at all

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”