PASSENGER BACKREST

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700 V-Twin.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

ohiojack
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2011 Kawasaski 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

PASSENGER BACKREST

Post by ohiojack »

My wife while seated/riding on my 1700 is making me move up to the gas tank. the backrest is over the passenger seat by around 3 inches. I'm considering removing the backrest and see if my wife has more room. Has anyone tried any other ideas??? She claims that I should have kept my voyager 1200. ohiojack
NSASarge
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 4 times

Re: PASSENGER BACKREST

Post by NSASarge »

The passenger backrest is quite thick and could be put on a diet by an upholstery shop. If they are careful, they could use the same cover after trimming or completely replacing the foam. I would think that 1-inch of high density or memory foam would be ideal to give the passenger a bit more room. TIP: Ask the upholsterer to make sure the attachment nuts and bolts are tight before they recover the backrest. The hardware is impossible to tighten after the foam and covering are in place.
:thmup:
Ride Safe
Shoot Straight
Speak the Truth

David & Deb
"NSASarge"
2015 CanAm Spyder RTL
2010 Voyager
AVA: 6178
AMA/ROK: 3308207
AAA: 620111405125201
Patriot Guard Rider
Retired US Army MI
Retired Thomas Built Bus
Retired
ohiojack
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2011 Kawasaski 1700

Post by ohiojack »

I had bought the 4 inch taller backrest for my wife. I ended up taking it off and putting the stock one back on. That gave her a couple more inches of seat room. By the way the other backrest will be going up for sale. Ive only had it on the bike for two weeks. Great shape. First 100.00 gets it. Maybe I can take it to Nashville with me. ohiojack
schlappy95
Current bike(s): Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700

Post by schlappy95 »

ohiojack wrote:My wife while seated/riding on my 1700 is making me move up to the gas tank. the backrest is over the passenger seat by around 3 inches. I'm considering removing the backrest and see if my wife has more room. Has anyone tried any other ideas??? She claims that I should have kept my voyager 1200. ohiojack
I seen on another forum, a guy removed the spacers behind the passenger backrest. There is a bit of space between the backrest and the trunk. He said he took off the backrest, removed the spacers and using some flat pieces of steel, he mounted it right against the trunk. Gave him about an extra inch. Then he did the removal of some foam.
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

Ohio Jack

At the rally, I'd like to have you and your wife sit on my Voyager. I have the front of my seat move forward about an inch and a half. Which gives the passenger an extra inch and a half.

I also have the floor boards moved back 3" and when I changed the front fork springs it lowered the front end of the Voyager so it's seat to flat foot with short legs. I have short legs.
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700

Return to “General - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”