Valve clearance Check and Adjust

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: Valve clearance Check and Adjust

Post by Van Voyager »

jorgeno wrote:That was not so bad, how many mileage does your bike have?
I'm at about 7.2 k miles - not even broken in yet. Hardly any visible wear on the cam chain sprocket.
jorgeno wrote: It makes a bit engine knocking noises when it’s hot. The manual suggests carbon buildups. Maybe becaus long time without adjusting the valves?
Mine makes a knocking noise too when it's hot (and only at idle). In my case, I don't think it's carbon; through the sparkplug holes, I can still see aluminum on my piston domes. I was originally worried about it as I had a KZ1300 and it made a similar, but louder, knocking noise just before I spun a main bearing (the KZ was making a knocking noise all the time, not just when it was hot). But, I've looked at some YouTube videos of running ZN's and they were making the same knocking noise too so maybe it's normal.
jorgeno wrote:That was not so bad, how many mileage does your bike have? I’m wondering if the cam chain sprocket can estimate the mileage? And how far does Voyagers-bikers travel before it’s necessary to do some engine overhaul?
Not sure but someone here will have notions on that.
bigsixkawa
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1984 Voyager, 1981 Seca 750, 1983 Honda CBX550
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by bigsixkawa »

I plan to check valves at the end of riding season.. where do we get shims for them (84)
bigsixkawa
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1984 Voyager, 1981 Seca 750, 1983 Honda CBX550
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by bigsixkawa »

where would I find shims for a 34 year old bike?
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Van Voyager »

Shims are not hard to find. They're the same size as the shims used in the Z1900/KZ1000 bikes - plenty available from online sources (eBay and others). Also the sames size as used in Some Yamaha's - not sure which models - maybe XSxxxx?

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”