Voyager Common Maintenance Issues

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

usmalenurse
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1997 Voyager 1200
2016 Honda Goldwing
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: Voyager Common Maintenance Issues

Post by usmalenurse »

Bought my '97 Voyager in July of 2010 ( I think) with only 19,000 miles on it. Alternating between it and my Vulcan Classic it now has 74K on the clock with only regular maintenance issues that I take care of myself. Replaced the speedometer cable which seems to be a problem spot but cheap and quick to repair. I replaced it in the parking lot at the Rally in Logan Ohio and now carry a back up in my truck (which luckily someone else had done to provide me with the speedy repair). I upgraded the seat just because I wanted a back rest and added the Progressive front springs. The only times it's left me stranded was operator error and ran out of gas....yes even with an idiot light to remind me. Doing some routine maintenance now to get her in shape for a couple of trips this summer...the Rally in Kerrville being one. About 1500 miles to Kerrville and not worried about the bike at all. And the wife loves it and yes she has been know to fall asleep many times on the interstate!
Charles Hairr
1997 Voyager XII
2016 Honda Goldwing
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

I too am getting mine ready for Kerrville. Just added a panel where the CB radio controls would go that includes a volt meter, cigar lighter power supply and two USB ports. I also modified my Ram Mount to accept my Apple I phone. I had already upgraded the bike to Progressive suspension and two LED driving lights. Anxious now for June to come.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
Arkvoyager
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Been liked: 0

Post by Arkvoyager »

I bought an 86XII 4 years ago it had 29xxxx miles on it, have done nothing to it except 3 sets of tires, oil changes, new brakes and other routine maintenanc. It now has almost 40,000 miles and still going. Handles like a sport bike rides like a Cadillac. Thinking about buying a 2017 Goldwing but I am not getting rid of the Voyager. It is like owning a piece of history.
Neal
Tourer
Tourer
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager, 2002 Voyager
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Neal »

3 sets of tires in 11,000 mile,,,? ? ? That's scary. I usually average around 24K to 28K on tires. Something must be wrong. :hmm:
Dealer for all Air Rider products, and Nolan helmets and headsets.
voyager55
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2003 1200
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by voyager55 »

Are you buying used tires? :!! As stated, something is wrong going thru 3 sets
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by cranky »

Neal wrote:3 sets of tires in 11,000 mile,,,? ? ? That's scary. I usually average around 24K to 28K on tires. Something must be wrong. :hmm:
... I blinked on that one also....
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 809 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

My '99 had a 404 :bat: on the front when I bought it :hmm: .And it probably would have about a 4,000 mile life.My E-3 an the front is nearing the end of it's life with 20,000 now.
I get about 25,000 on the E-3s on the rear :woohoo:
My last front E-3 only lasted about 17,000 miles :hmm:
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Arkvoyager
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by Arkvoyager »

I guess it has only been 2 new sets of Dunlops, can't count the worn out set when I bought it, plus I am in Arkansas,(need I say more). Some roads here are like riding on cheese grater. They wore even, with very little or no cupping down to wear indicators.
51Duck
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by 51Duck »

I can certainly relate direct experience to you. I had a 1987 Voyager XII for couple of years when new, and it was one of the best bikes I ever rode. Above all, the handling and fuel economy were unsurpassed, and comfort to boot!

For years I down sized and rode XS650 Yamahas and KZ1000s, and a '79 KZ1300 with a 1420 Turbo kit WO did that thing go fast!

In early 2006 I decided to go big again and tried hard to find a clean Voyager XII. I got impatient and bought a new Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe - almost same as the Venture. I did ride it for 9 years and 50000 miles but always felt it was just too much work, so top heavy and the handling is ponderous at best. I install Works Performance rear shock and the RaceTech lowering and gold valve kit in the front. Also a skinnier profile front tire, I think 130/90 instead of stock. This all helped the handling especially at low speeds but it was still a lot of work to drive it. The best way I can describe it is that I could never just relax and let the bike walk through curves...I had to consciously "drive" it all the time.

After a long trip in late 2014, I decided enough was enough and bought a 2003 Voyager XII. It had unsealed forks and shocks so was riding low on no air, but it was still like riding a dirt bike after the Royal Star. I was grinning ear-to-ear before I got home! I now have Progressive springs and new seals in front and new Progressive air shocks in the rear, as well as a Superbrace fork brace. WOW! This is what a touring bike should be, and at least for me I have never ridden anything to compare. And with the help of this forum, you should be able to keep one going indefinitely. Aldo there are a gozillion parts on eBay since they made them for so long.

Hope that helps...
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

bstjohn1966 wrote:So realistically, is there any reason to doubt that a 1994 thru 2003 Voyager would be as good as any for long distance touring? My wife and I, along with another couple, are planning a couple of Gatlinburgh / Pigeon Forge trips this coming summer. we live in central Indiana. Other than normal upkeep we should be good to go? Will the 1200 hold up well at interstate speeds (70-75) for hours on end?

Not only for hours on end, :rolling: I've done that for days on end on 7,000 mile trips
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
joerod777
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager XII

Post by joerod777 »

I have a 2003 Voyager. Great bike and virtually maintenance free. Easy to do oil and filter change. Super reliable. I have done a 7,000 mile cross country ride with no issues. Some bikes have a front end wobble. I installed the super brace on the front forks and they pretty much eliminated the wobble. You can cruise for hours at 75 mph.
JoeRod

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”