Help: Lower (pull) Throttle Cable Connection - Solved

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Help: Lower (pull) Throttle Cable Connection - Solved

Post by Van Voyager »

In a fit of insanity, I decided today would be a good day to lube my throttle cables. Getting the pull cable off the throttle linkage was crazy, but it's even worse trying to get it back on. The hole that the cable 'barrel' goes in is completely blind - I can't see or find it with my fingers. I've rotated the linkage around so that the barrel hole (wherever that is) is closer to the cable. Am I missing some other trick to connect the cable to the throttle linkage?

Thanks for any advice.

PS: If anyone happens to have a throttle body assembly sitting on the shelf, it would be great if you could post a picture of how the 'pull' cable attaches to the throttle linkage.
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Re: Help: Lower (pull) Throttle Cable Connection

Post by Van Voyager »

Well, I finally got the cables back on. I had to get my borescope out to find the location of the lower barrel hole.

I first tired moving the throttle linkage to 'fully open' thinking that would be the easiest place to connect the cable (and because that's where I got the cable loose in the first place), however, this position locates the hole directly above the lower throttle body frame rail which is not very accessible.

Better to let the throttle linkage rest in it's closed position. With some luck and foul language, the cable barrel can be slipped half way into it's hole, then while keep finger pressure on the barrel use a screwdriver or other suitable 'push rod', to push (from above) the linkage fully open at which point the cable will bend down to the cable slot in the linkage and allow the barrel to move fully into it's hole, at which pint the linkage can be released.

Would be easy to do except that it's all done blind so there's some frustration involved. Having said that, the frustration is much reduced once it's obvious where the hole is.

Now, if I can just find some grips that will work!
gusser
Current bike(s): 2003 KLR650
1980 GS850
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Help: Lower (pull) Throttle Cable Connection - Solved

Post by gusser »

Read your reply on how to reattach the "pull" cable. I've been working on this for quite a while and I'm no closer to getting it attached. Did you have the carbs off or on? Currently I've got the carbs mounted, throttle assembly in the closed position. I know how all the components work and look like- there's hardly any room to get one's fingers in to work with. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

I was having fits trying to just re-attach throttle linkages on the Charlie Voyager. I called Carl Leo and he suggested I order or find some hemostats preferably the over size type which I found on Amazon.com. These things can go places your fingers will never get into. A cheap cure for the near ranting frustration I was going through. I am glad you got it to work.
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

gusser wrote:Read your reply on how to reattach the "pull" cable. I've been working on this for quite a while and I'm no closer to getting it attached. Did you have the carbs off or on? Currently I've got the carbs mounted, throttle assembly in the closed position. I know how all the components work and look like- there's hardly any room to get one's fingers in to work with. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Note: there are no carbs, just throttle bodies (perhaps a moot point for this discussion). But to answer your question: I did not remove them. I don't have any tips other that what I posted above. I tried using hemostats as per Mr. J's recommendation but I dindn't find them useful at the time - it's likely I don't have the same size as he has (although I do have several different sizes).
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Sorry Van but I guess Alzheimer's is setting in. I keep thinking you have an XII Voyager. I will try to pay more attention to your posts from now on. I did know that the Voyager Six had early fuel injection. Duh. :bat:
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”