Average Miles per Day on a Long Tour? (Poll Expired)

What do you use? How many miles? What kind of tires? What oil do you use? This is where all the polls are now located.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

What was your average mileage per day to a far away destination?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:00 am

100 to 200 miles per day
2%
201 to 300 miles per day
2%
301 to 400 miles per day
26%
401 to 500 miles per day
38%
501 to 600 miles per day
17%
601 to 700 miles per day
9%
701 to 800 miles per day
5%
801 to 1000 miles per day
No votes
I'm Iron Butt material! >1000 miles per day
2%

Total votes: 58

Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Average Miles per Day on a Long Tour? (Poll Expired)

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

Ok, this is a pretty broad question, and it will vary greatly between people, depending of course on custom seats, weather, etc. But considering long rides to destinations in the past (rallies, etc.), what was your average mileage per day in relative comfort?

This Poll will end in 10 days. As usual, registered users get one vote.
richardb, austin
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): '94 Voyager as of 02/10

Re: Average Miles per Day on a Long Tour?

Post by richardb, austin »

also, to add to the vaguery, it's one to two FULL days just to get out of my home state & I got free room (& sometimes board!!) at this spot or that. So, depending on which way I run, I may make the first day short or long even tho common logic says the first day should be the longest.
richardb, austin

Post by Don Smith »

Two up we could easily handle the 4-5 hundred mile range, more if needed on the V1200. Our longest was 715. Don S.
EVAHank
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2003 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2010 Honda NT700V

Post by EVAHank »

It's obvious that Rocket Rod hasn't posted here yet (no one in the +1,000 mile catagory!!) I used to do 7 or 800 miles a day when I was younger, but nowadays, 500 miles is about the limit (unless I'm visiting family in San Diego over a long weekend, but that hasn't happened in awhile.)

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank, Rusty & Ol'Faithful
Voyager 1300/6~The Original Voyager!
Ride Safe and Sane; and PLEASE-ATGATT!!
Hank, Ol'Faithful, and The Silver Bullet
'03 Voyager XII~Last of the Breed!
Kevin B in Illinois
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2001 Honda GL1800
1990 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2002 Harley Davidson Road King
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager
1969 Kawasaki Sidewinder 250
1965 Kawasaki F2TR 175
2006 Suzuki DL1000

Post by Kevin B in Illinois »

We usually average around 700-850 a day, it always depends on the roads and the time that we have to get somewhere etc. We usually do the long distance ride on the way home from a rally or trip(last day thing). We rode straight back from Red River, NM to Salem, Illinois in one day(1,000+ for the day) and we also rode home in one day from Durango, CO(wife was 6 months pregnant and it was hot hot hot 100+ degree heat index all the way). That was 1,000+, but she wanted to get home and relax. The most I've done in a day is 1,645 miles and in a short period of time 3,420 miles in 3 days(weekend adventure trip). Of course this all pales in comparison to my long time riding buddy Sir Rick Martin(two Iron Butt rallies, 11 days 11,000+ miles done on his FJR 1300). Rick is a fellow AVA member and has a Voyager in his garage that has 230,xxx miles on it(he is the only one to put the miles on this ride). The key to long distance comfort is staying away from the caffeine and big meals. Eat smart, drink lots of water and gatorade and don't speed.

Kevin B. in Illinois
IBA member(long distance riding is addictive)
Wayne and Karen

Post by Wayne and Karen »

1,645 miles in one day? Wow! I'm not about to question a fellow AVA'r but I'd sure like to know how you did that. I did a little quick math and if you rode 16 hours straight, you'd have to be averaging over 100mph, not even considering stops for gas and such.

I wasn't going to question it, but then you threw in the comment about going the speed limit. Huh?

Wait a minute. We did clarify that we were talking about miles per day riding a motorcycle, right? I went 2,000 to Vegas in 5 hours but that was up in our friendly skies. :)

Come on Kevin. Give us the details of hours and mph and stops for a 1,645 mile ride in one day. I'd love to hear how you did it.

By the way, it's nice to know that Karen and I are falling right into the popular riding per day miles of 400 to 500 like most people. I appreciate the tips and hints. I know one thing we're going to do for sure. It's good advice to stop every hour or so and someone said the secret is to stop before you get sore. I heard that, and we will definitely try it. Maybe rolling out of the motel bed before 10:00 would help too!!!! :)

Wayne
Don Smith

Post by Don Smith »

Well Wayne, I questioned that one a little too. 1645 mi. in 24 hours is 35 short of averaging 70 mph. Tough to do but far from impossible for a good Iron Butt rider. I would imagine you would have to do a lot of interstate. I asked one how it is done and the reply was you just RIDE. Not that interested myself , too much to see in between. Don S.
BDLindberg

Post by BDLindberg »

The longest I have ever done was on a '78 XS1100. I was traveling home from San Antonio to Minneapolis. I did the journey in two days averaging about 650 miles per day with average speed of 85 mph and 8 hours in the saddle each day. I don't think I would go any further, but a friend of mine before he died used to travel upwards of 1300 miles per day. He was an Ironbutter.
Kevin B in Illinois
Traveler
Traveler
1965 Kawasaki F2TR 175
2006 Suzuki DL1000

The key is not stopping. The Beemer had a big tank and my maximum time in a gas station was around 5 minutes. Superslab all the way. I will be writing an article for the upcoming Voyager's Voice with an interview with Rick Martin who has ridden 1608 miles in less than 24hrs on a 1986 Kawasaki Voyager XII as part of a Ironbutt ride out west. Rick is also a two time finisher of the Ironbutt Rally(11 days 11,000 miles). The details of the BMW was not having to stop for fuel that often. As many of you that are familiar with the Iron butt rally can attest, auxiellary fuel cells are the norm. Also, in order to do high miles, you have to minimize the time that you spend at stops. Have two or three debit/credit cards to rotate while doing a ride. If you use one it may be shut off, when you are making small purchases in different states during a 24 hour period. In my interview/ articles about riding long distances(in a future issue of Voyagers Voice), It will discuss Mr. Martin doing this type of mileage on a Voyager XII. Also some of the tips and farkles that are necessary or make it easier to do longer days in the saddle. The biggest overall thing for doing 1600 plus miles in a day is fuel range. If you only need to stop every 300-400 miles it helps with covering this type of distance. I had a fuel range of almost 400 miles on the Beemer. Most people don't understand the addiction of long distance riding, but for those that get it in their blood, it's hard to beat.
Details, for this ride 7 stops. Average mph...above 70 (superslab speeds). Did all miles on the superslab. Read the upcoming January issue of Voyager Voice for more details on these types of rides. Once you've done a Saddlesore(1000 miles in 24hrs) the other rides become challenges. I recently had one of my riding buddies complete 1546 miles in 24 hours on his 2007 Ultra Classic without an auxiellary fuel cell. He had a police dept. sign his start and stop forms verifying the time and the odometer reading, plus his GPS reading. Mr. Bob Jones can verify several of our mileage madness as far as riding long distances.

Kevin B. in Illinois(dreaming of riding while working)
garry

Post by garry »

wish i could ride over 400 miles but thats mine limit. Also i just read somewhere that a man rode coast to coast with out stoping. not for red lights or any thing. took him 36 hrs. behind his bike he pull a trail full of gas. had food and drink on bike.
Take Care- Garry
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

garry wrote:wish i could ride over 400 miles but thats mine limit. Also i just read somewhere that a man rode coast to coast with out stoping. not for red lights or any thing. took him 36 hrs. behind his bike he pull a trail full of gas. had food and drink on bike.
I wonder how he handled um... pitstops without stopping. :-O
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
Mailman Joe

Post by Mailman Joe »

ummmm...that "depends".....
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Bet he was swimming in his depends after 36 non stop hours of riding. :oh:
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
Mailman Joe

Post by Mailman Joe »

Probably started thinking about buying one of those gel seats.
Kevin B in Illinois
Traveler
Traveler
1965 Kawasaki F2TR 175
2006 Suzuki DL1000

Not to be too descriptive here, but I do know several riders that wear stadium pals with tubes running down their riding pants and exiting out behind their boots. These individuals you do not want to follow too closely ...if you know what I mean.

Kevin B. in Illinois

Return to “Poll Forum”