New guy with an '83 Voyager - joins other 6's!

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

desertrefugee
Current bike(s): ZN1300 1983
CBX 1979
GL1000 1978
Valkyrie 1997
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

New guy with an '83 Voyager - joins other 6's!

Post by desertrefugee »

Hi guys. Thanks for having me.

I fell into a decent '83 Voyager GN1300 that had been pretty much dismantled by an older guy looking to strip it down. It could reasonably easily go back to "full dress" mode, but (and I hope not to insult the purists here) I think I'm going to finish what the fellow started.

I have a '97 Valkyrie and a '79 CBX - along with a custom '78 GL1000. I've been riding over 40 years and have run the gamut between British and tons of Japanese - mostly muscle bikes. Eliminator, Vmax, Magna and GS are among the experiments.

But, about this Voyager. It's on a serious diet, but won't really get rolling until the garage temps drop to human levels in Phoenix. Meanwhile, I'm not sure that there's much market for cast-offs, but I appear to be collecting a few.

I do have my hands on wiring schematics, but might need to beg a question or two as I get into it. Great resource, this site.

PM me if there's a need/interest in fairing components, bags, bag mounts, trunk, and trailer hitch.
Attachments
38D4F444-DB9E-4864-AF61-80ABF11BB7D9.jpeg
"Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity." - Anonymous
desertrefugee
Current bike(s): ZN1300 1983
CBX 1979
GL1000 1978
Valkyrie 1997
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: New guy with an '83 Voyager - joins other 6's!

Post by desertrefugee »

One quick note: Even though I am taking a Voyager XIII out of existence, the end result will be a functional and aesthetically pleasing motorcycle. I considered taking it back to factory specs, but the electronics were non-functional, as well as the right side fairing internally has considerable damage and needs repair. Parts are hen's teeth. The choice was a matter of economics and was made for me.

I've done a fair number of restomods, and have not been disappointed yet. I don't expect to be on this one either. Worst that could happen is that some unobtainable component of the fuel injection completely dies on me. Hen's teeth. At that point, I would need to figure out a reasonable, economical approach to a carbureted setup.

Time will tell, meanwhile the cast-off pile is growing...
1C65B797-81DE-4626-B96F-E80C18FD1FDA.jpeg
"Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence or stupidity." - Anonymous
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: New guy with an '83 Voyager - joins other 6's!

Post by Van Voyager »

Hello Desertrefugee: Glad to find an other sixer here - we'll gradually take over the world :woohoo:

I find there are lots of parts avaible as many ZN1300 fans have picked up entire spare bikes and will sell off bits they don't need. Tons of stuff on eBay.

Of course, some things are harder to find than others and I find the main impediment to buying stuff is the shipping charges can be a lot more than the item for sale. It looks like you've got some bits there I could use but I'm sure the shipping charges would kill it for me.

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”