BIG ouch need to learn some welding

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

TheFalcro
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1986 KawasakiVoyager ZN1300-A DFI inline six cylinder
(NOT A VOYAGER XII ZG1200-A1 carbureted inline four cylinder)
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

BIG ouch need to learn some welding

Post by TheFalcro »

I got the saddlebags and tail lamp frame apart today. Oh boy it is broken and has been for quite some time. This happened while it was still on the road I am sure! It must have made quite the racket as it bounced and vibrated. The most amazing thing is how few fasteners have broken whil taking all of this apart and honestly how supple the rubber parts still are afte 34 years, some of it feels like its never been in the weather at all. I now have 90%+ of what I planned to strip finished and I am in the process of cleaning it all. I have a total of 7 broken fasteners considering the rust issues I am pleased.

Life is not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 222 times

Re: BIG ouch need to learn some welding

Post by Me Again »

Breaks like that are not uncommon . Mostly due to the original Markland trailer hitch being mounted directly to that frame .
TheFalcro
Streetster
Streetster

Post by TheFalcro »

Me Again wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:59 pm Breaks like that are not uncommon . Mostly due to the original Markland trailer hitch being mounted directly to that frame .
Yes quite true it didn't occur to me that the hitch is a contributing factor but it makes perfect sense.! And that Markland trailer hitch is going into the scrap pile I am afraid. I have no desire or need to pull a trailer to me it is just added weight and stress on the frame.
Life is not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 392 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Would you be interested in parting with that hitch rather than just tossing it?
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 222 times

Post by Me Again »

Never figured out why they mounted it to those light tubes when almost anyplace else would have been stronger.
TheFalcro
Streetster
Streetster

Post by TheFalcro »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:53 am Would you be interested in parting with that hitch rather than just tossing it?
I would if it were sound but it has rusted through and it is bent. since it is not sound and has a lot of rust through spots I have to say no.
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Van Voyager »

TheFalcro wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:13 am I got the saddlebags and tail lamp frame apart today. Oh boy it is broken and has been for quite some time. This happened while it was still on the road I am sure! It must have made quite the racket as it bounced and vibrated. The most amazing thing is how few fasteners have broken whil taking all of this apart and honestly how supple the rubber parts still are afte 34 years, some of it feels like its never been in the weather at all. I now have 90%+ of what I planned to strip finished and I am in the process of cleaning it all. I have a total of 7 broken fasteners considering the rust issues I am pleased.
Lots of replacement options on eBay - shipping costs can be a bit grim though. Personally I'd look around locally to avoid paying shipping charges. There always seems to be folks parting these bikes out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/85-KAWASAKI-ZN ... SwtNFa~ML0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SADDLE-BAG-MOU ... XQYwFRiimh

https://www.ebay.com/itm/85-Kawasaki-ZN ... SwvphakYZM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/85-1985-Kawasa ... SwsQJcCWZt
TheFalcro
Streetster
Streetster

Post by TheFalcro »

<<<<SNIP>>>>>>
and honestly how supple the rubber parts still are afte 34 years, some of it feels like its never been in the weather at all. I now have 90%+ of what I planned to strip finished and I am in the process of cleaning it all. I have a total of 7 broken fasteners considering the rust issues I am pleased.
[/quote]

Lots of replacement options on eBay - shipping costs can be a bit grim though. Personally I'd look around locally to avoid paying shipping charges. There always seems to be folks parting these bikes out.

I have thought about that but honestly this is a pretty clean break and I have perfect sized scrap to go inside plus a little welder at my disposal. I am just going to practice a bit and then repair what I have. it will be about the same amount of work but will essentially cost me nothing other than my time which would be and is going into the scooter ressurection anyway.

I was at first trying to get this ready for late summer and fall riding but in light of the COVID-19 outbreak I have decided to put any rides off until next season. This takes a lot of pressure off me and when finished I believe it will be a better overall repair result.

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”