Extra Camper Wheels

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

xszgrider
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Extra Camper Wheels

Post by xszgrider »

I attended a rally this past week and saw several motorcycle campers (Bunkhouse, Aspen, etc) with an extra set of wheels that attach between the camper and the motorcycle. They had a hitch ball and coupler mounted between the wheels. The wheels were about 2 feet apart.

I have no idea what you call this apparatus and none of the owners were at their camp site.

They appear to eliminate the tongue weight on the motorcycle, but I was wondering if they improve the handling. My Voyager is a handful at low parking lot speeds with my camper attached. The front end shakes and wanders all over the place.

I would appreciate any information.

John
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Extra Camper Wheels

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

It was a dolly. Someone on here has one, maybe Doug from S. Dakota? I'm not really sold on the idea, as far as keeping that tail from wagging. Just like the semi trucks that have 2 or 3 trailers in tow, there's not a lot you can do if you need to make an evasive maneuver and that stuff back there gets to whipping around. Plus, once a trailer gets that heavy anyway, it really puts a strain on the bike. This past summer on the Bowling Green trip, my trailer was just too heavy, and that was before I put 38 bottle of soda in it. I could have used a lower first gear in some spots.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
Doug in South Dakota

Post by Doug in South Dakota »

To much tongue weight will cause this
xszgrider

Post by xszgrider »

Thanks Chris and Doug for the information.

I ride 2-up and only notice the problem when stopping or in a parking lot. Once I am moving above 5 or 10 mph, the problem goes away.

I attended the CMA Colors Rally on Iron Mountain last week and negotiating their bike trails in the camping area with the trailer attached proved to be a challenge.

I am going to monitor the tongue weight in the future and attempt to keep it between 20-25 lbs.

Again, thanks for the information.
TaiwanJohn
Streetster
Streetster

Post by TaiwanJohn »

Your tongue weight should be about 10% of your total trailer weight. Too little tongue weight is worse than too much.
Hire a Realtor that lives like you do, ON 2 WHEELS!!

http://www.HutchinsonMNRealty.com
Doug in South Dakota

Post by Doug in South Dakota »

John
Marty and I were both there also. :-D
I think I mite have a pic of your bike...Was it sitting kinda by the rode going from the worship center to the vender area on Thursday/Friday, Has Chris's armrest mounts on it? 1st time for us to go to colors. Life changing time. :thmup:
Marty in Texas
Streetster
Streetster

Post by Marty in Texas »

xszgrider wrote: I attended the CMA Colors Rally on Iron Mountain last week and negotiating their bike trails in the camping area with the trailer attached proved to be a challenge.
What color is your bike? Is it burgundy/silver? I saw another Voyager driving by on the road between the pravillion and the campground on the south side.
Was probably you if the right color?
Great rally, we didn't get to spend enough time there. We got there Friday afternoon and had to go home Sunday. Check my ride report, I have a link to it posted in the Trips & travel sub-forum.
Marty
If I have to explain, you won't understand.

1996 Kawasaki Voyager ZG1200A
1978 Yamaha XS650SE

CMA #63099 North Texas Area Rep
TMRA #30043
IBA #31625
xszgrider

Changing of the Colors

Post by xszgrider »

Doug and Marty,

Yes, my wife says our bike is burgundy. It looks red to me. We arrived Tuesday afternoon and left for home on Saturday morning. We were camped on the first trail to the left as you entered Iron Mountain, next to the highway. We had the pleasure of listening to the Harleys as they departed the campground and trucks as they drove by. Next time, we will camp further away from the highway.

We have been to several western rallies, but this was our first time at Colors. It was a great experience. Iron Mountain is an impressive facility. We really enjoyed it.

Hope to see you in Chama.

Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Bill O »

John,
If my eyes haven't failed me, you have the 10th Anniversary (1996) RED Voyager. (A Very nice one, I might add!) That color Red was only used for that year.

Bill
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager
2003 Voyager TriKing Trike

Nevada Patriot Guard Rider
xszgrider

Post by xszgrider »

Bill,

I am under the impression that the color was used for 2 years, 96 and 97. I bought my Voyager used and the title says 1997. It did not have the 10 year decal on the cover when I purchased it. I have seen a 96 and the colors do look the same.
Nathan (South Carolina)
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Nathan (South Carolina) »

xszgrider wrote:Bill,

I am under the impression that the color was used for 2 years, 96 and 97. I bought my Voyager used and the title says 1997. It did not have the 10 year decal on the cover when I purchased it. I have seen a 96 and the colors do look the same.
You are correct. The red with dark red inserts were used for years 1996 and 1997. http://voyagerxii.4kaztwylde.com/voyage ... colrs.html
Lone Eagle
2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Bill O »