Won't Start in Gear (with clutch in and kickstand up)

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

disco42
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Won't Start in Gear (with clutch in and kickstand up)

Post by disco42 »

2018 1700ABS. Will start in neutral but won't start in gear with the kickstand up and the clutch in. If I start in neutral, put in gear and drop the kickstand it kills the engine: so I know it's not the kickstand switch. Can this be the clutch box switch. There are two switches by the clutch lever: I assume one is for the cruise kill. When I meter them and pull in the clutch: on one I get and open to short and the other I have no change: always an open. Safe to assume this is my problem?
disco42

Re: Won't Start in Gear (with clutch in and kickstand down)

Post by disco42 »

Sorry.....should say kickstand up in subject.
disco42

Re: Won't Start in Gear (with clutch in and kickstand up)

Post by disco42 »

disco42 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:56 pm 2018 1700ABS. Will start in neutral but won't start in gear with the kickstand up and the clutch in. If I start in neutral, put in gear and drop the kickstand it kills the engine: so I know it's not the kickstand switch. Can this be the clutch box switch. There are two switches by the clutch lever: I assume one is for the cruise kill. When I meter them and pull in the clutch: on one I get and open to short and the other I have no change: always an open. Safe to assume this is my problem?
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Won't Start in Gear (with clutch in and kickstand up)

Post by HMB Don »

I've had two of the switches go bad at the clutch lever. It worked awhile longer after it started acting up by choking up on the clutch lever and squeezing the lever firmly against the grip.

If under warranty take it to the dealership.
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”