Rear Shock Fluid

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Rear Shock Fluid

Post by Van Voyager »

I notice the KZ1300 manual details a procedure for changing the rear shock fluid - basically: unscrew the air hose, dump the fluid out, completely fill the shock with new fluid, then dump out the specified amount to leave the correct level in the shocks. Not sure if that procedure applies to the Voyager shocks or not- I think they're the same shocks as the KZ/ZN1300. I'm not getting a lot compression-damping (maybe there isn't any???) on my shocks right now and I'm assuming a fluid change - possibly slightly thicker fluid - would help with that. Anybody changed their rear shock fluid?
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 271 times

Re: Rear Shock Fluid

Post by cushman eagle »

I do not know if the 1200 and 1300 used the same shocks,but I changed it on my 1200 several years ago,and I really liked what it did for them,then they started leaking.I made the mistake of replacing them with the Progressive 416s,because they were advertised as an air shock,and I was very happy with the VXII 's air shock :thmup:
The 416 is really a spring shock with possible air assist,but the spring is so stiff it rides like a hardtail,and no air is needed.
I would much rather have new OEM shocks.
The reason I did not use the 412s is they are a high pressure nitrogen gas shock,as are the door and hood struts on our farm equipment,and I do not like the short life they have.The 412s do have spring assist.
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 219 times

Post by Me Again »

I changed the fluid on one of my 1300's a number of years ago.
I used ATF sealer/conditioner and they felt good and never leaked again .
I do not recall the exact amount but if the shocks are completely compressed the level should be just below the air fitting .
DO NOT OVERFILL .
I looked it up. Rear shock capacity is 265 ml
These users liked Me Again's post:
Van Voyager (Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:24 am)
Rating: 12.5%
HMB Don
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 2012 Voyager 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 81 times

Post by HMB Don »

I always drain the shock fluid into a marked container (cc). And only refill with the amount drained. My strong recommendation is to only use any ATF or only synthetic light weight fork oil 10w.

The reason is when cold ATF and synthetic oils flow. On my 1200 I mixed 5w and 10w synthetic fork oil. On my 1700 I used 10w synthetic fork oil. ATF is 5w, but very refined, which makes it a very stable fluid. Also these oils work well in high temperatures.
Don Medina
NorCal Voyagers Club

2012 Voyager 1700

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”