Noise when trying to start

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Rentamedic
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1986 voyager
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0

Noise when trying to start

Post by Rentamedic »

As some of you have read for my previous post as of right now this is where I stand pulled starter out. It works believe i just had bad ground? Had Neighbour put battery on his charger Bad battery but I put my jumper Box directly on my power and ground cables I hear a grind coming from the starter Could it be I just do not have the starter lined up properly after I put it back in is there a way to take off the plate on the other side of the starter to see if it's properly in the gearing sorry about any bad grammar using voice to text
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 236 times

Re: Noise when trying to start

Post by triton28 »

Well at least you now have the starter turning and that is good.
There is NO provision for starter alignment-when it is bolted into the crankcase, that is it.
When the starter is rotating the engine gears there will normally be a whirring type of gear mesh sound but that should be a regular "pattern" without any clunking or grinding. By pattern I mean one can tell when the engine is on a compression stroke as the sound does seem to be slower during this cycle of each cylinder and then sounds freer for the other 3 cycles of each cylinder.
In a good working starter system this difference in sound will be perceptible but the speed of rotation will be a free rotating sound albeit with this minor fast/slow modulation contained within the sound.
The starter motor from the 1993 model and later is a 4 brush motor and works much better that the 92 and earlier motors so perhaps you have the older style of starter. The old style has the cable connection stud close to the pinion gear end of the starter motor and the newer style has the cable connection stud close to the mounting bolt end of the housing. The old motors were marginally slower/noisier and drew more amperage than the newer style, but again I say it was a regular whirring gear pattern sound.
Not being there one can not determine whether or not your starting sounds are as they should be but noticeable grinding or clunking should not be what one hears, just a regular pattern sounding turn over of the engine.
Also the igniter having the part # of 21119-1179 is the old igniter used on 1986 and some 1987 models and this part had the timing too far advanced for starting with a low/weak battery and often a kickback would occur which is unnerving to say the least. This was corrected on subsequent model years with the 21119-1248 igniter having a more retarded low RPM timing. You should check the stenciled part number on yours as this could be a factor, depending on the model year of your bike.
If you are concerned that your starter system has some irregular grinding noises then one can drain the oil/filter and check for metal content in the oil/filter element.
Hopefully what you are hearing is the regular pattern I described and you are just new to the sounds of this system.
Dave
Rentamedic
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1986 voyager
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0

Post by Rentamedic »

Will gets pic and video when weather get better doing all this outside
Barry
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 87 Voyager 12
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Barry »

The ignitor you need is -1248. The 86-87's tend to break starter chains. They were improved from 88 onward. Kawasaki would repair & upgrade the starter chains for the original owners, but never did a recall on them.
Barry
87 Voyager XII
Barry
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 87 Voyager 12
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Barry »

Get a hold of Carl Leo down in Florida. He's replaced hundreds (literally) of starter chains on 86-87's. He's a great source for information and will even fix your problem or offer excellent advice. There isn't anyone with as much knowledge and experience.
Barry
87 Voyager XII

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”