Foot Pegs

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

IslandKawasaki
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Foot Pegs

Post by IslandKawasaki »

Is there any way to change the position/location of the foot pegs ? I'm only 6' and my hips grow tired from the pegs being too high - I'd like to lower the pegs if possible. Thank you for any insight you can provide.
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Re: Foot Pegs

Post by SgtSlag »

Try Googling, "adjustable motorcycle foot pegs." Maybe something in the results will be serviceable? :hmm:

For long rides, try these Emgo floor boards which attach to the Engine Guard Bars. I've owned around four sets: they're aluminum, and they tend to break, when you drop your bike on a hard surface -- best to order a new set. By the time you order your third set, you will have a fourth in spares! :lol: Ask me how I know... :oops: If you order a set, cut up an old bicycle inner tube as a rubber liner, inside the clamps: it protects the Guard Bar's chrome finish, and it secures the boards much tighter, much easier, to their proper position. They can be rotated to whatever angle is best for you, sitting on the bike. You'll need an Allen Wrench Set to mount them. I have used them on three bikes, since around 2006. Great product.

If you do order any set of highway pegs/floorboards, be sure to reinforce the two Engine Guard Bars, per the article on this site (somewhere...). Basically, you can do it fancy (chrome/stainless pipe), or rough, like I did, using a non-shiny (galvanized) pipe, of the correct OD, inserted between the two guards, drill a hole, and put a screw in each side, to hold them all tightly together. It really strengthens the Engine Guard Bar's ability to support the bike's weight, in a tip-over. You will need to remove one of the Guard Bars, to insert the pipe. Cheers!
:thmup:
These users liked SgtSlag's post:
Chris Cochran (Sun May 07, 2023 2:29 am)
Rating: 12.5%
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

I may only be 5'10" tall but I understand your pain and I also have gotten a set of Emgo boards and attached them to the engine guards. Now I can ride with my legs out straight and not worry about hip/thigh craps with my legs bunched up so tightly.
Check them out, they are inexpensive and easy to install and wonderful to ride with!!!!! :thmup:
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
JimK
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1997 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1990 Harley Ultra Classic
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by JimK »

A while ago I did a write up on lowering the foot pegs. I found out that doing this would cause the pegs to hit the ground on aggressive turns or when riding two up around turns. The bike does not lend itself to well to lowering the pegs. Others have suggested moving the trunk and seat back to make more legroom. This mod requires adapters. I believe someone here sells trunk extension brackets in the classified section. I don’t know what is required to move the seat back more than normal. Maybe someone who has done it will chime in.
Sparky1971
Current bike(s): 1995 Kawasaki Voyager, 2003 Honda ST1300, Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 CP
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Sparky1971 »

Has anyone removed the floorboards and replaced them with pegs? Do you need to change the shifter pedal and connecting rod or can you just turn it 180° to make it work.
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 549 times

Post by Nails »

Sparky1971 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:27 pmHas anyone removed the floorboards and replaced them with pegs?
Yeppers.
Sparky1971 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:27 pmDo you need to change the shifter pedal and connecting rod or can you just turn it 180° to make it work.
You need to fuss with both sides. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11550

I haven't looked back.

(Although I put that link in this General section, I think this kind of thing really belongs in the Tech section.)
--
Nails

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”