NO Power to Fuel Pump!

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Timmyc4
Current bike(s): 85 Voyager ZN1300
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

NO Power to Fuel Pump!

Post by Timmyc4 »

:help: Please Read... :please:
I have an 85 ZN1300-A3 that has been in dry storage for the last 25 years (I would turn it over a few cranks every year but since the tank was dry didn't start it) It has only 20k original on it.

This last week, upon putting in new filters and New premium 100% gas in, I found the fuel pump bad so I replaced it.
Once replaced, the bike started and ran flawlessly.
Upon taking it for a ride for 10 min, it started stumbling then quit, luckily just feet from my garage.
When I Recycled the ignition key the dash lights came on, there was a relay click, but NO (New) Fuel Pump whirling.

Not to assume automatically it's a bad NEW Fuel Pump, I pulled the (Black/Yellow - Black/Orange) connector at the Pump, to put a Volt Ohm Meter to it to find NO Power at the Connection of the Fuel Pump!
I then Verified that NONE of my fuses were blown, (in the box on the right side of the bike....maybe I missed a fuse location or fuse link?) All the fuses I tested behind the right side cover were good.
Then not knowing exactly which relay the fuel pump is, or the exact location, I swapped every 056700-5260 Round/Silver with another behind each SIDE cover to no avail. (Could someone tell me which relay the fuel pump is?)
When I turn on the ignition, everything seems to power up, but again, NO whirling of the pump!

IF someone could tell me exactly which is the Fuel Pump Relay and the exact fuse it is... I would appreciate it!

Also, the ECU window glass just quickly flashes 1x when I turn on the ignition, so I'm assuming there are no issues?

Thanks SOOO Much for anything you can suggest!
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 219 times

Re: NO Power to Fuel Pump!

Post by Me Again »

First off I have to admit to NOT being the worlds best trouble shooter.
Second is I had other issues due to corroded wiring .
The connector to the igniter was completely shot . It actually had pieces missing.
After replacing the connector with one from a parts bike the bike would start but I lost my digital dash .
After a little jiggling I got the dash but lost the ignition . A little more persuasion I had ignition but no fuel pump and no dash (lights worked but no digital).
Tracing wires a little more I got to the black fuse holder under the left side cover .Glass fuses tested good but fell apart in my hand .Replaced both fuses and went for a ride ..
I can not say these were the culprit's but the one amp is for the dash and the other is for the DFI I just know after replacing both fuses the bike was running .
The other possibility (and now that I think about it awhile makes more sense) swap the start relay with the lights relay (main fuse box)
Duh .Old age set in and I forgot about the time this same thing happened to me 25 years ago only I was 75 miles from home
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by Van Voyager »

Not sure where the FP relay is - There are three behind the right side cover - might be one of those. See if you can identify it by the wire colours. Wire colours are: O/BK, W/R, BK/Y, G/W (Presumably: Orange/Black, White/Red, Black/Yellow. Green/White).
Timmyc4

Post by Timmyc4 »

Listen... You're not going to hear me complain on your suggestions. I'm open to anything and will trace it down!
Thank YOU both and anyone else with suggestions!
jorgeno
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): Kawasaki ZG1300 1986
Kawasaki ZN1300 1986
Suzuki GS1000G 1982
Been liked: 1 time

Post by jorgeno »

Fuel pump relay is to the left of the battery
Attachments
FD53817E-FC70-4472-AFE9-E90854830388.jpeg
3C9F9D74-6E8B-489D-8919-C87A225F3FBB.jpeg
EFE86653-91F1-4C3A-BEEE-1451452F1F5A.jpeg
Timmyc4

Post by Timmyc4 »

Jorgeno.... Wow... And they say a picture is worth (ONLY) 1000 words!
I'll check this out after this weekend. Lots going on with the 4th. (Grandkids are over tonight and blowing off a few crac :woohoo: ker's don't cha know?)
I'd say "I'm pulling my hair out" but I can't afford to lose any more!
Thanks Bro's!!! Every one of the suggestions are more appreciated than you can imagine! :woohoo:
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 219 times

Post by Me Again »

Timmyc4 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:17 am Jorgeno.... Wow... And they say a picture is worth (ONLY) 1000 words!
I agree . I have been riding 1300's for more than 25 years and can never remember which relay is for what.
:thmup:
jorgeno
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): Kawasaki ZG1300 1986
Kawasaki ZN1300 1986
Suzuki GS1000G 1982
Been liked: 1 time

Post by jorgeno »

I only referred to the manual, but thanks :thanks:
These users liked jorgeno's post:
cushman eagle (Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:49 am)
Rating: 12.5%

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”