Fuel pump run sequence

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Cherryriver
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2009 FJR1300
2000 VFR800
1999 CBR1100XX
1986 ZG1200
Permitted to maintain the Missus' Ninja 1000LT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Fuel pump run sequence

Post by Cherryriver »

I've begun a bring-back-to-life '86 project. It hasn't run in many years. I've done projects like this so I'm not too far in over my head, but one thing is catching me up short.
Reading through relay- and fuel-pump related issues, I think I may not be understanding the fuel pump sequence.
So I don't want to actually start the engine yet; the carbs are garbaged up. But I did want to crank the engine a little after oiling the pistons prior to reanimation. (I watched Young Frankenstein again to get mentally prepared.)
So I put in a battery and discovered the (deceased) previous owner had some custom wiring in there. One looked like a kill switch next to the fuel tank cap. I pulled that business out and saw some other things I didn't like I will have to amputate.
I was a carpenter all my life but worked quite a bit as an electrician too, my favorite trade. That carries over to my motorcycle fooling-around, too.
So now, with the new battery in place, turning the key to ON lights up lots of things it should like the instrument panel, radio, taillights, and so forth, but hitting the START button does nothing. I didn't have my meter with me today (dumb) so I will go back to that, but I didn't feel the starter circuit relay clicking.
Fine, but as soon as the key is ON, the fuel pump does begin clicking merrily away.
Isn't that not supposed to happen, except when the START button is depressed?
The fuel tank is dry. I imagine this might be not so good for the pump itself, but I don't want to put in fuel yet.
So- if my reading of the fuel pump regime is correct, it's operating the opposite of desired.
And, the starter is not activating. More meter time there.
BIll
These users liked Cherryriver's post:
cushman eagle (Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:36 am)
Rating: 12.5%
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 236 times

Re: Fuel pump run sequence

Post by triton28 »

Bill;
the 86 and 87 models DID operate the fuel pump when the key was turned ON and the kill switch is in the RUN position. This circuit anomaly is shown on the early MSM Supplemental wiring diagrams but not on later ones. That is normal fuel pump sequencing for the first 2 model years.
You can also turn the engine over by using a wrench on the flywheel bolt down on the LH side of the crankcase behind the chrome cover. Turn slowly or you may inadvertently undo the bolt if the spark plugs are installed.
Good luck with your resurrection,
Dave
These users liked triton28's post:
cushman eagle (Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:36 am)
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 87 times
Been liked: 236 times

Post by triton28 »

To further explain the difference from 1988 onwards look at the attached partial schematic and one can see the change from the B2, (1988), models onward.
Prior to the B2 models the Black/White wire to the fuel pump, which by the way becomes Black/Yellow after the last connector to the fuel pump, was fed via an internal brass crimp inside the harness wrap. This crimped connection is made to the Black wire as shown for B1 and earlier models.
Attachments
Fuel pump wiring anomaly.jpg
Cherryriver
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2009 FJR1300
2000 VFR800
1999 CBR1100XX
1986 ZG1200
Permitted to maintain the Missus' Ninja 1000LT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Cherryriver »

Very helpful information, thank you.
Now, on to the next issue: no cranking, yet, but also, no headlight coming on after hitting the START button, which it ought to.
From reading around here, I get the idea that the various relays are prone to going dead. Given the 10-15 year sit time, I guess that could happen, even though I'm not accustomed to relays failing like that.
My next step is to hit the NAPA store for a bunch of AR355 relays and maybe a 3011 fuel filter.
I didn't mention that, also based on the information here, I immediately copped a 1248 ECU to replace the original 1179. Before cranking the motor, I sure wanted to avoid snapping any chains in there.
The starter did not crank with either ECU; I reconnected the 1179 once the 1248 didn't produce action, as a check against the 1248 being blown.
I only get to work on this bike intermittently, as I am restricted by garage space during the cold weather months to only three bikes at home. The Voyager is in a storage container five miles away, with no electricity and therefore no good lighting. My LED headlights are getting a workout.
I may not have decided to dive into this particular ZG but that it's cosmetic condition is so good, and there's only 6000 miles on the clock.
The bike even came with the original purchase invoice- $6995, in the summer of 2000, but the fellow traded in a KZ1000 for which he was allowed a $1200 value.
These users liked Cherryriver's post:
cushman eagle (Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:35 am)

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”