Coolant tube o-rings

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Bulldogx11
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 94 KAWASAKI VOYAGER X11
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Coolant tube o-rings

Post by Bulldogx11 »

Hi got to change my 4 o-rings on the coolant tube/log on front motor. On my 1994 with 130,000. Started out as a little leak in the beginning of the season years ago then went away after couple heat cycles, now leaks all the time. Do i have to remove the exhaust , and oil line to have clearance? what do you lube the o-rings with? And is ther any other thermostat that fits instead of the $60 kawasaki oem one?. Oh side note what brake pads you recommend with new ebc rotors are the ebc FA85hh sintered the best? I kno alot questions sorry lol thanks for any help
These users liked Bulldogx11's post:
morganw02 (Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:57 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 810 times
Been liked: 273 times

Re: Coolant tube o-rings

Post by cushman eagle »

Hi, Bulldogx11,
Yes you do have to drop the front of the exhaust down ,and the oil line.
I recommend replacing the exhaust gaskets,if they have any damage,and the copper o-rings on the oil line.
I use a light dab of Dawn dish soap on the o-rings.
While you are doing that is an excellent time to change the rest of the o-rings and the coolant hoses.
It is also an excellent time to give your radiator a gentle cleaning.I do like your choice of brake pads. :thmup:
Please keep us posted about your progress :clap:
I am not aware of another thermostat. :hmm:
These users liked cushman eagle's post:
bigmac7139 (Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:09 am) • morganw02 (Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:57 pm)
Rating: 25%
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Bulldogx11
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Bulldogx11 »

Thanks for response great advice . I already ordered exhaust gaskets cuz it looked like it had to be removed., do you know the size of the oil line copper gaskets/ washers or do i have to get oem?
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

Copper washers are 12.4mm ID by 17mm OD by 1.5mm thick.
Dave
Bulldogx11
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Bulldogx11 »

It wasnt easy but i got every thing off ,and im ready to pull off the log/ coolant tube . Is there only two mounting bolts or am i missing one ? I giving it a good tug and it doesnt want to budge , how do i get it off? Thanks
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

Just the two short 6mm bolts. What you are feeling is the resistance of the 4 o-rings against the walls of the 4 ports they fit into as well as any accumulated crud buildup which may be present.
The manifold has to be worked a bit on one side and then, when the first pry side is blocked with a wedge of wood to prevent it from going back into the port, going to the other side and prying it out to match the first go around. Then go back to the first side you pried on and pry it out a little further and block/wedge again. And so on and so on until you have seesawed the manifold out.
Be gentle as the manifold will bend/crinkle so just go small amounts each time you pry on a side.
For reassembly smear a little NON petroleum grease on the o-rings and onto the cleaned walls of the cylinder block ports which the manifold goes into.
Dave
These users liked triton28's post:
Nails (Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:02 pm)
Bulldogx11
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Bulldogx11 »

With alittle extra effort i finally got the tube/log off. The orings were hard as a rock, they just broke getting them off. New orings installed and tube back on . Why i have the radiator off i will clean it . I would like to install a switch to turn fan on and off but still have it work with the sensor. Which color wire do i run to the switch and then to ground.? And i just splice into it and keep the original connection is that correct ? Thanks for all your help ..
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

Post by Nails »

Bulldogx11 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:30 pmWhy i have the radiator off i will clean it .
There's at least one other thread on here about that. I used Prestone flush stuff on the bike. The returns were astonishingly bad. And a second time. For the third time, I used a weak antifreeze solution, and after draining that I used regular Prestone.

I mean, I suggest cleaning the whole system, leaving the radiator on the bike.
--
Nails
HardRock
Current bike(s): 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1995 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Has liked: 0

Post by HardRock »

cushman eagle wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:55 pm Hi, Bulldogx11,
Yes you do have to drop the front of the exhaust down ,and the oil line.
I recommend replacing the exhaust gaskets,if they have any damage,and the copper o-rings on the oil line.
I use a light dab of Dawn dish soap on the o-rings.
While you are doing that is an excellent time to change the rest of the o-rings and the coolant hoses.
It is also an excellent time to give your radiator a gentle cleaning.I do like your choice of brake pads. :thmup:
Please keep us posted about your progress :clap:
I am not aware of another thermostat. :hmm:
The coolant manifold O-rings can be changed without taking the exhaust head pipes off. (It is quite a fiddly task doing it that way though) The oil line still does have to removed.
I like to use moly O-rings lube, you can get it at the auto parts store by the register if you don't want a big tube.
Bulldogx11
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Bulldogx11 »

Hi im done with orings on the tube/log and new hoses going to do the fan switch modification,am i correct to splice into the
yellow/line wire going to the sensor run that new wire to a switch and then to ground? Then when i get that done i will install radiator and run bike check for leaks.. Fingers crossed....Will update
These users liked Bulldogx11's post:
cushman eagle (Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:37 pm)

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”