air temp thermometer

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

air temp thermometer

Post by Nails »

So the other day my wife made me go shopping with her. If you don't know, that involves her buzzing all over the mall and me basically moping along behind. We went to lots of stores, including some fancy French ones. At a place called "TarGjay" (but it's French, so spelled "Target"), somewhere after the Beauty Stuff section, I looked up and, Lo! and Behold!, there was a great motorcycle thermometer! (Somebody obviously stocked it wrong -- probably couldn't find the Motorcycle section either.)

I looked all over for the companion clock, but no luck. Stockboys, sheesh.

Anyway, it's small, requires no electricity, and includes the remote sensor. It's fundamentally Marine-proof. And best of all, it was just $10!
thermometerA.jpg
I mounted it in the ABS plate that covers where my stupid radio used to be.
thermometerB.jpg
Notice that they thought of everything, even including climate change. But honestly, a back-light would've been a swell addition, since I usually want to see how badly I'm freezing my arse off after dark.
These users liked Nails's post:
cranky (Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:23 pm) • cushman eagle (Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:05 am) • Barry (Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:06 am)
Rating: 37.5%
--
Nails
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: air temp thermometer

Post by cranky »

... you ought to try that on the way to Flagstaff!!! GBG You can watch the
temps go done as you go up the hill!!!! Ya ought to come up for one
night time visit.. then go back the next day.....
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

cranky wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:24 pmYou can watch the temps go done as you go up the hill!!!!
I was inspired by my last time across Nevada. One flagman told me it was 119!
cranky wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:24 pm Ya ought to come up for one night time visit.
I don't think I can fit in buzzing out to Flag. And honestly, I'm so-ooo sick and tired of I-40 -- been buzzing out to LA to visit Deanna way too many times.

But I am planning to be in SLO for a week in early May. Deanna is cat-sitting ... and remote-working. I'll have my bike (leaving for the Mexican border at the end of this month) for day trips; and I'm betting there are a couple nice roads between Monterey and Santa Barbara. Maybe we can meet in Monterey or something for some malt beverages. I'll PM when I get a real schedule.

But as for today I can check the thermometer off my XII list!
cushman eagle (Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:06 am)
Rating: 12.5%
--
Nails
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 810 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

Hi Nails,I am surprised how close the TPMS shows air tempurature with the front tire readout.I got back from a 90 mile ride on Saturday,and the TPMS said my front tire was 4 degrees C or 40 F.Which was very close to what my thermometer said. :thmup:
I have found it to be very close since I installed it last spring. :clap:
These users liked cushman eagle's post:
Nails (Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:38 am)
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
cranky
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2003 Voyager
Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by cranky »

Thanks for the invite!!!! No need for special runs, just thought a short visit would be nice...
and it seemed to be in the area and I DO understand I-40 sickness, I avoid slabs when
reasonable...... and had to jab ya in the ribs one more time!!! GBG

Maybe I'll be in your neck'a'the'woods some day!!!! Many thanks -again - for the invite!!! ... and
hope ya have a great ride down 1...... Cranky
Nails wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:49 pm
cranky wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:24 pmYou can watch the temps go done as you go up the hill!!!!
I was inspired by my last time across Nevada. One flagman told me it was 119!
cranky wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:24 pm Ya ought to come up for one night time visit.
I don't think I can fit in buzzing out to Flag. And honestly, I'm so-ooo sick and tired of I-40 -- been buzzing out to LA to visit Deanna way too many times.

But I am planning to be in SLO for a week in early May. Deanna is cat-sitting ... and remote-working. I'll have my bike (leaving for the Mexican border at the end of this month) for day trips; and I'm betting there are a couple nice roads between Monterey and Santa Barbara. Maybe we can meet in Monterey or something for some malt beverages. I'll PM when I get a real schedule.

But as for today I can check the thermometer off my XII list!
'03 Voyager - http://tinyurl.com/mqtgpwp VROC pics of Gina
Cranky - Bill Snodgrass AVA # 6544. VROC # 16804
Cranked >128K miles, Mtn bike-no motor!!!
San Jose, KalEfornYa
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

cushman eagle wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:13 amI am surprised how close the TPMS shows air tempurature with the front tire readout.
I've never had much opportunity to check how close it is. I've noticed it's pretty close to the thermometer on the porch, but that's only when I start riding. I live in the mountains, and the temperature generally changes a lot over short distances -- generally going up because I'm going down. I've never really trusted the TPMS to reflect air temperature.

And besides, I can't read it without putting on reading glasses.

But the rear tire ... that can show more then 200F on those special days. I only notice that because the TPMS starts flashing, something it's done for hours at a time. (And thanks again for sending that copy of the TPMS manual.)
--
Nails
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!

Post by cushman eagle »

Yah,Nails,the rear tire does get warm,not only is it driving the bike but it is picking up heat from the exhaust system,and the drive line. :hot:
Bonnie and Clyde
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1998 Voyager xii Green and Black
2007 KTM Super Enduro 950
2019 KTM xcw 300 TPI
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by Bonnie and Clyde »

cushman eagle wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:13 am Hi Nails,I am surprised how close the TPMS shows air tempurature with the front tire readout.I got back from a 90 mile ride on Saturday,and the TPMS said my front tire was 4 degrees C or 40 F.Which was very close to what my thermometer said. :thmup:
What TPMS unit are you using?
These users liked Bonnie and Clyde's post:
cushman eagle (Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:48 am)
wishing I was riding around the world
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

Some Chinese thing -- comes and goes on the marketplace. Link I used is dead. There's a photo of the display here: viewtopic.php?p=86587#p86587. Pretty sure anything that looks like that will be the same thing.
  • Do get replaceable batteries in the sending units. (The receiver recharges with an Android plug. I can take that whole cover into the house -- 2 easy screws.)
  • Don't fuss about the warnings against external sending units somehow causing the valve stems to blow up.
I can't actually read mine when riding, but I can when I first get on. (It's a habit that I only notice when a sending-unit battery goes dead.) And I can read it if I pull over and then bend down closer with a hand to block glare.

Barry, Cushman Eagle, and SgtSlag (I think) use the same one as mine.
Bonnie and Clyde (Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:23 pm)
--
Nails
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by cushman eagle »

Bonnie and Clyde wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:14 pm
cushman eagle wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:13 am Hi Nails,I am surprised how close the TPMS shows air tempurature with the front tire readout.I got back from a 90 mile ride on Saturday,and the TPMS said my front tire was 4 degrees C or 40 F.Which was very close to what my thermometer said. :thmup:
What TPMS unit are you using?
The box has SYKIK Rider SRTP-300 on it
Bonnie and Clyde (Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:48 am)
tommyoh1
Current bike(s): 2016 VN 1700
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Post by tommyoh1 »

Amazon has a really nice digital thermometer / voltage meter , that plugs into the cigarette lighter. It is bright , and red and blue in color. It turns on and off with the ignition. I don't like it tells temp down to the 1/10 degree, so constantly changing , but like the accurac
These users liked tommyoh1's post:
cranky (Sun May 08, 2022 10:02 pm) • cushman eagle (Mon May 09, 2022 12:44 am)
Rating: 25%
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

The inexpensive Chinese TPM systems seem to work well. My only issue has been the high temperature readings I consistently get for the rear tire -- I believe it routinely operates above 300 F, per the sensor. I have not researched the normal operating temperatures of rear tires, nor what the maximum operating temperature should be. To date, I have not had any issues with my rear tire.

I ride two-up, 98% of the time. The rear tire temperature seems to run the same, even if we have empty saddlebags and trunk, so I don't know what to make of it. I ran without the TPM system, for multiple years. Only had a tire blow out once, on my '79 Honda, sans TPM. That was estimated to be a defect in the inner tube within the tire. Went down with my son sitting behind me, at 40 MPH. Even though we rode for years, without a TPM system, I will not ride without it, again. The piece of mind it gives us, is worth every penny. Knowing when I need air, is fantastic. Those stem valves are pain to access with a gauge, or a hose... Need to replace the batteries in my sensors, this year. Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by cushman eagle »

SgtSlag wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:55 pm The inexpensive Chinese TPM systems seem to work well. My only issue has been the high temperature readings I consistently get for the rear tire -- I believe it routinely operates above 300 F, per the sensor. I have not researched the normal operating temperatures of rear tires, nor what the maximum operating temperature should be. To date, I have not had any issues with my rear tire.

I ride two-up, 98% of the time. The rear tire temperature seems to run the same, even if we have empty saddlebags and trunk, so I don't know what to make of it. I ran without the TPM system, for multiple years. Only had a tire blow out once, on my '79 Honda, sans TPM. That was estimated to be a defect in the inner tube within the tire. Went down with my son sitting behind me, at 40 MPH. Even though we rode for years, without a TPM system, I will not ride without it, again. The piece of mind it gives us, is worth every penny. Knowing when I need air, is fantastic. Those stem valves are pain to access with a gauge, or a hose... Need to replace the batteries in my sensors, this year. Cheers!
When we were riding around Springfield at the rally last year in 100 degree weather,I do not remember my TMS showing a rear temp above 60 C or 140 F :hmm:
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

I may flip the sensors, front to back, to verify it is not the sensor. Gotta remove them to change their batteries, so... Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Dave
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): BMW R1250GS
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dave »

SgtSlag wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:55 pm The inexpensive Chinese TPM systems seem to work well. My only issue has been the high temperature readings I consistently get for the rear tire -- I believe it routinely operates above 300 F, per the sensor. I have not researched the normal operating temperatures of rear tires, nor what the maximum operating temperature should be. To date, I have not had any issues with my rear tire.

I think that 300 degree reading is bogus. If not, you have a dangerous situation. Tire pressure should only increase a few psi as tire warms up. Since pressure increases about one psi for each ten degree farenheight increase in temperature, a tire at 300 degrees would have 20 psi higher pressure than it would at 100 degrees.
These users liked Dave's post:
cushman eagle (Tue May 10, 2022 10:32 pm) • GrandpaDenny (Wed May 11, 2022 3:58 am)
Rating: 25%
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

cushman eagle wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:35 am When we were riding around Springfield at the rally last year in 100 degree weather,I do not remember my TMS showing a rear temp above 60 C or 140 F :hmm:
I need reading glasses to read it, but the TPMS often flashes at me. (Can't hear fersheet either, so when I park the beeping can be a puzzlement.) And my memory sucks whether heat stressed or not, but I think I've seen close to 200F on the back on some 120F slab rides.

I generally put about 32-34psi in (not a big fan of inflating more than that), and often see more than 40psi on the road (especially, but not only, the back tire). In the desert I don't get too alarmed at the low 40s, but maybe a little more at my sizzling mental state.
--
Nails
Dave
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): BMW R1250GS
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Post by Dave »

[quote=Nails post_id=93914 time=1652293206

I generally put about 32-34psi in (not a big fan of inflating more than that), and often see more than 40psi on the road (especially, but not only, the back tire). In the desert I don't get too alarmed at the low 40s, but maybe a little more at my sizzling mental state.
[/quote]
Starting with a higher cold pressure may actually make the tire run cooler at highway speeds resulting in less pressure rise.
These users liked Dave's post:
cranky (Thu May 12, 2022 2:09 pm)
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by cushman eagle »

Nails wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:20 pm
cushman eagle wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:35 am When we were riding around Springfield at the rally last year in 100 degree weather,I do not remember my TMS showing a rear temp above 60 C or 140 F :hmm:
I need reading glasses to read it, but the TPMS often flashes at me. (Can't hear fersheet either, so when I park the beeping can be a puzzlement.) And my memory sucks whether heat stressed or not, but I think I've seen close to 200F on the back on some 120F slab rides.

Yeh,Nails,there is a way to reset the alarms on those,if you can translate the directions :hmm:
Our riding couple,was able to do that on our trip. :thmup:
Nails (Thu May 12, 2022 4:20 am)
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

cushman eagle wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:45 am Yeh,Nails,there is a way to reset the alarms on those,if you can translate the directions
Our riding couple,was able to do that on our trip.
You went to a lot of trouble to copy and send those instructions, and thanks again. I still have that right on my desk, just never got around to it.
cranky (Thu May 12, 2022 2:09 pm)
--
Nails
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

Dave wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:53 pmStarting with a higher cold pressure may actually make the tire run cooler at highway speeds resulting in less pressure rise.
I'm skeptical because the tires don't seem at all inclined to cool down when they heat up to 40psi. Mine seems to blow right through to 40+ in hot weather -- and I think that's too much pressure for proper traction/handling. I have trouble blaming this heat/pressure on increased tire flex.

I think the heat comes from the fry-an-egg asphalt because both tires get hot. And from the engine/exhaust because the back one gets hotter.

Don't really know. But I like being able to monitor them from the saddle.
--
Nails

Return to “General Chat”