What does this connect to?

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

grumpy72
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2013 vstar 650
99 shadow 1100
93 voyager 1200
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 15 times

What does this connect to?

Post by grumpy72 »

84 voyager 1300. Has sat indoor storage 4 years. Tank was empty. I put 2 gallons in it. I put a brand new battery.all lights work, horn doesnt. Motor turns over real fast.320 cca battery.this line with a filter looks like it should be connected before the bike could start. Should the petcock be pointed to reserve?
20220421_145742.jpg
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: What does this connect to?

Post by Van Voyager »

That's your fuel filter - you're missing a hose. There should also be a clamp attaching the filter to the frame.
grumpy72
Traveler
Traveler
99 shadow 1100
93 voyager 1200

Post by grumpy72 »

There is a clamp thats been undone. The hose connected to one end of the filter connects to the petcock.but on the filter end no hose on that end and no obvious place for one to go if it had a hose
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

grumpy72 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:43 pm There is a clamp thats been undone. The hose connected to one end of the filter connects to the petcock.but on the filter end no hose on that end and no obvious place for one to go if it had a hose
Going from memory so take with a grain of salt.....

The filter spigot in your picture (with no hose attached), is the filter input which should be connected to the fuel tap.
The output of the filter should go to the input of the fuel pump
The output of the fuel pump should go to the fuel rail input
The 'output' of the fuel rail should go to the input of fuel pressure regulator
The output of the fuel pressure regulator should go to the tank return input.
grumpy72
Traveler
Traveler
99 shadow 1100
93 voyager 1200

Post by grumpy72 »

Awesome.now i have to figure out where those places are.one end was connected to the fuel tap/ petcock.the other end was the filter and obviously a hose was to go from it to the motor.i cant see much in there, its real tight.but probably somewhere on the bank of theottle bodies theres an open outlet that needs a hose to it.right?
grumpy72
Traveler
Traveler
99 shadow 1100
93 voyager 1200

Post by grumpy72 »

So the clamp that used to hold the filter to the bike frame on the right side of the bike- sitting on the bike that right side. That means a fuel line from the petcock is supposed to cross all the way over, have a filter in the end of it. And the fuel line missing from the outlet of the filter, if i put a line on it where does it connect.i thought removing the tank would give me good visibility but it doesnt
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

Normally, to remove the tank, one would remove the tank bolt, then lift the tank up slightly and reach under the tank and pull the hose off the back of the tap - there's not a lot of slack in that hose.

If I was fitting a new hose, I'd remove the tank and install a suitable but slightly too long piece of hose, routing it from approximately where the fuel tap would be through to the filter inlet. Connect the hose to the filter and install the filter in it's bracket. Then trim the other end of the hose back to where it's just long enough to attach to the fuel tap.
grumpy72
Traveler
Traveler
99 shadow 1100
93 voyager 1200

Post by grumpy72 »

Heres some info i should add.first i really appreciate your help. This bike is very clean even though it sat inside 4 years.a guy had a $35.00 repair bill,not sure what it was, and never paid it.the guy was in and out of jail and never came back.so the tank was loose.no bolts holding it on.i lifted it pretty high and unplugged 2 connectors probably powering the fuel gauge and something else.a rubber line on the underside right side on with a clamp i removed.back lower left a hose came from the bike and slid onto a metal tube made into the tank back left corner of tank.the petcock- says on, off, reserve,and and arrow for pointing labeled fuel.a hose from that petcock went across the bike under the tank and over to where it had a filter hanging from one end.apparently a circular strap had held the filter in place near the right sidecover. The outlet end of the filter apparently had a hose on it at one time and slid onto or into something. I do not see any place such a hose would mount to.i think without this circuit connected the bike will get no gas or start.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”