Gertrude Goes to Another Dancing Class

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 393 times

Gertrude Goes to Another Dancing Class

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Last Saturday Gertrude and I went to the Total Control Intermediate Class. Totally different from anything we'd ever done before. This sh*t was HARD. Total Control has a different approach to motorcycle safety than the MSF - they're more performance-oriented, and more decision-making-oriented. Their idea is that you use superior decision-making skills so you don't need your suprerior riding skills. In the Intermediate class, we learned some new ways of doing things to squeeze even more performance out of ourselves (and our bikes). Again, she outshone even the big sport bikes in emergency braking and low-speed handling. From 30 mph using the technique they taught (which includes using my body to aid weight transfer onto the front tire and keep the rear from lifting) she stopped in her own length. I almost shat myself she stopped so quickly. I use sintered front pads and have stainless steel front brake lines (the dual-line setup) but otherwise her brakes are stock (and 93000 miles old). These bikes have the same brakes as the early Concours 1000, and the early Ninja 1000. If you're experiencing weak brakes, your brakes need work (and/or your technique needs work as well).

In the double loop (kind of like a figure eight but with 1 1/2 turns in one direction then 1 full turn in the opposite direction) I was challenged by one of the instructors to see how slowly I could do it. Gertrude did it at a snail's pace. Everyone's jaw dropped. I though for sure I was going to drop her at one point but didn't. I actually got a hug from her (the instructor) for doing that!

Tires are American Elite front, Shinko 777HD on the rear, aired down to 32 front (I usually run 36) and 36 (normally run 40) in the rear, so still within normal range for our bikes (just not allowing for my 280 pound weight plus gear plus tools and junk I normally carry, so let's say probably 310 pounds load. 32/36 is "good" for up to 265 pounds IIRC).

Yeah, good bike :))))
These users liked GrandpaDenny's post:
Nails (Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:18 am) • cushman eagle (Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:51 am) • vxiirider (Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:59 pm)
Rating: 37.5%
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

Re: Gertrude Goes to Another Dancing Class

Post by Nails »

A confidence-inspiring training.
I don't have such training available anywhere around here. My next-door neighbor is a former m/c cop (supervisor, certified to train m/c cops), and since retiring he's become a MSF trainer. Maybe I picked something up from him by osmosis.
--
Nails
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

So why don't you take the MSF classes with him? Another couple of options are:

1. Ride Like A Pro - Jerry Palladino down in Florida makes some videos, on YouTube and for sale, and also has classes around the country. He teaches the cop motorcycle skills.

2. MCRider - on youtube. Also has a training webapp with skill drills and such. Good stuff! To get access to the Field Guide (training app) is something like five bucks a month. I spend more than that a day in coffee LOL.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

Post by Nails »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:59 pm So why don't you take the MSF classes with him?
Well for one thing, we're having a going away party for him on Sunday. He just got the MSF instructor thing, and I doubt he's even led a class yet. (We've ridden together a few times on dirt bikes on the mesa behind our houses. They had a garage sale while I was on my trip. His KTM 1190 Adv was parked in the yard like it was left over from the sale. I offered him $500, not wanting him to have to move crap he doesn't want. "I'll have to think about that.")

I went into the Navy mostly to get out of the house. When I was practicing veterinary medicine on Marines at Camp Pendleton, I saved enough money to buy my first bike (my mom wouldn't let me have one) -- a brand new Suzuki SP370! I had to take a military safety class to get it on base. This was just after Professor Hurt's ground-breaking report, and the instructors leaned on it mightily. In other words, it was MSF before there was an MSF. I don't know whether it improved my riding because at the time I'd been riding motorcycles for like three hours. But I sure found value in it.

There really isn't much available here without a fair bit of hassle. I've looked into it.

I look at these vids all the time, even yesterday at a half-dozen about riding sand. I'll search up the ones you mentioned and look again for local opportunities -- given how so many folks recently bought bikes.

Is MCRider associated with that one last standing m/c mag-rag?
--
Nails
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Nails wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:29 pm Is MCRider associated with that one last standing m/c mag-rag?
Not that I'm aware of.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:

Return to “General Chat”