Your Internet Connection (Poll Expired)

What do you use? How many miles? What kind of tires? What oil do you use? This is where all the polls are now located.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

What kind and speed of internet connection do you have?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:22 pm

Dial-up (yea, I know, poor me!)
10%
DSL (about 768 Kbps- much better!)
14%
DSL (about 3 Mbps- even better yet!)
21%
Cable (about 5 Mbps or better- the best!)
43%
Other
12%

Total votes: 58

Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Your Internet Connection (Poll Expired)

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

Although this is not actually a motorcycle topic, it will help me in future design of website features. All registered users will be able to vote, but can only vote once, so let me know what kind of connection to the internet (speed wise) you have. This poll will run for 10 days. Thanks!
JimC

Re: Internet Connection

Post by JimC »

I have a DSL connection.

JimC
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Re: Internet Connection

JimC wrote:I have a DSL connection.

JimC
Thanks Jim,

No need to respond, just submit your "vote" in the poll above. :-D
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

I've got DSL with DSL aprox. 3 Mbps Download & Upload. I'm not sure but from what I'm told typically if you get 3 down your up is about 1/4 to 1/2 of that, but mine was definately 3 both ways. Much to the surprise of my son-in-law who is the family gooru` !
He has cable/broadband and doesn't get that high of a connection at times!
Guess I just got lucky!
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
Pure Pork
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1985 Voyager 1300
1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic
1989 Vulcan 88 1500a
1956 Harley FLH 1200
2 1978 Yam XS650 Specials

Dial-UP

Post by Pure Pork »

Stuck on dial-up, in the sticks. The optic cable goes by in the right of way out front. Phone company says no plans anytime soon to offer more.
1985 Beast
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road

Re: Dial-UP

Pure Pork wrote:Stuck on dial-up ------Phone company says no plans anytime soon to offer more.
Pure, I feel your pain. I was in a similar situation. My sister had DSL two years before me and she is 3 blocks away. :evil: Everytime I called I was told it wasn't available in my area. One day I was so disgusted with it I demanded to speak to a supervisor, who in turn explained to me that my neighborhood was upgraded to Fiber Optics and they didn't have DSL for fiber yet. :twisted:
Now that's a real benefit if you ask me, upgrade the system and restrict the services. Two long years of dial-up later I finally got it! :lol:
2001 Voyager XII
Bjorn in Norway

Post by Bjorn in Norway »

I have DSL, the icon seys 18.0 Mbps.
vmaxgirl

Post by vmaxgirl »

I have wireless at home with a speed of about 10Mb and I have a T1 at work.
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Re: dial up

rgsmyth wrote:2 soup cans and a string would probably be faster than my internet connection!!!! 26.4kbps is all that the new AT&T will allow me to have! You gotta love technology.
Egad! :shock: I pity you! That's the best that ATT can do? That is the speed of some of the original modem speeds when dial-up was started I think, well there was 14kbps maybe, but... If you have a 56 kbps modem, make sure it is operating properly, and you have a reasonably clean phone line. I had trouble at one time with a 56 kbps modem that would only seem to transfer between 14 and 28 kbps most of the time in cold or wet weather (warm and dry it was ok), turns out the phone company line was getting partially shorted or something, thereby creating noise on my line and the poor connection speeds. Maybe if ATT can't do better than that, you might look into either cable or satellite internet. It will take forever at your speeds to download any pics or even some animated emoticons!
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
flip18436572
Traveler
Traveler

Post by flip18436572 »

More than likely you have a bad phone line, either in your house, or the line coming to your house. I started with 9600 baud modem many years ago to connect to the internet, but having a 56k modem and only getting that connection speed is normally a bad phone line. You should be able to get your phone provider to make sure everything is up to par all the way to your house. You would normally have to pay extra for them to test any farther than that.

I had to run all new wires in my house, because of the poor connections the previous owner had done. But, since I did CAT5 network cabling at work, it was nice to have the punch down blocks and everything to make it very easy to do.

Good luck on getting a better connection.
Swim, bike, run; sounds like fun!!!!
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

flip18436572 wrote: You should be able to get your phone provider to make sure everything is up to par all the way to your house. You would normally have to pay extra for them to test any farther than that.
Sometimes the phone company will tell you everything is ok, when it is not. If you have XP or maybe even Vista, there is a program on your computer in the accessories then to communications, called Hyper Terminal (you may need to know the brand and model of your modem). This will test phone lines to the phone company and will tell you what the condition of the phone lines actually is. You can print the results out and present them to the phone company if they have any doubts. Good Luck, I had this problem in the cold and damp weather, but it did not show up in warm or dry. I finally got smart anyway and went DSL.
Iron Butt Member #47339
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

Fritz wrote:Coming out of the stone age. Soon to be DSL surfing.

Gary, have a problem. Ever since I registered, I have NOT been able to long on. It gives me the message, "Sorry, but this username has already been taken." GEE, ya think. The only way I can post is as 'guest'. Whats up. I sent Duane an email with the problem, since I had his email address, and asked him to forward the email to you. This was a last week and still no answer. Did you ever get the message. SO, I hope you get this and can figure out the problem because as of yet, no joy.
Frtiz
Fritz,
I assume this is the Masked Rider correct? Duane and Charlotte have been on a trip so they didn't get your email yet to forward to me.

You can contact me by clicking on the new "Contact Forum Admin" link in the link section near the top of any forum page (alongside the little yellow smiley face :-D), or, by clicking on any of the email buttons at the bottom of any of my messages here on this forum (after you are logged in). Anyway, there are two problems why you can't log on, one is, that you first need to confirm your registration by clicking on the link provided to you in a confirmation email that you should have received from us. Then, log in to the forum by either clicking on the "Log in" text near the top of the forum page when you first go there (and entering your username and password, then click log in button), or at the bottom of the forum page in the log in box by entering your username and password, then clicking the "log in" button. You are not logging in before you try to post a message and are merely typing your username in the username box which you would see when posting a message (as a guest) because you are not logged in. When you are logged in, you will not see the username box.

It is telling you that your username is already taken because that name is registered, and and you are trying to post as a guest using that name (because you are not actually logged in when you post). Once registered, a username cannot be used by someone else (protects against someone posting as you).

You can also find answers to many of your questions by clicking on the "FAQ" link near the top of any of the forum pages. Email me if you have any more problems or you didn't get your confirmation email.
Iron Butt Member #47339
The Count

Post by The Count »

Or he could just go in to your profile through the administrator console and activate your membership manually. That way you don't need to recieve the email and your problem is solved....The Count
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

guest wrote:Sounds great Gary. Only problem is,,, 'What' email are you talking about? I have gotten comformation emails before when I have register with other sites. Did not get one from you guys. Maybe you could send it again or is this an automatic thing and can't be sent again? Don't know why I didn't get your email. Also,,, when I switch over to my new AT&T DSL, am I going to have trouble again logging in?
Fritz
I have activated your account for you. Your activation email may have been caught by your antispam- who knows. Anyway, you're good to go, just log in and post.
Iron Butt Member #47339
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member

guest wrote:By the Gary, are you familier with Indiana, Johnstown, middletown, Allentown and I'm not sure if I got the the spelling right on this one, 'Altuna'. Did I get the spelling correct? Anyway, I have family living those towns. Nice places in the summer. When ya really think about it,,, this United States is not that big.
Fritz
Yes, I've heard of all these towns, and am familiar with most, even "Altoona".
Iron Butt Member #47339
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road

Gary (Forum Admin) wrote:
guest wrote: I'm not sure if I got the the spelling right on this one, 'Altuna'.
Fritz
Yes, I've heard of all these towns, and am familiar with most, even "Altoona".
Fritz, you got the sound down pat, but the spelling goes to Gary. The biggest little city in PA, Altoona, home of the world famous Horseshoe Curve and former railroad capital of the world. Grass is now growing on some of the streets but still a fairly nice place to live.
2001 Voyager XII
flip18436572
Traveler
Traveler

Post by flip18436572 »

We have an Altoona, Iowa, but it is known for the Youth Complex for kids. (Jail)

That is one of the threats our middle school teachers (junior high school) would use on the hard to handle youths.
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road

Flip,
Nothing wrong with Old-school methods, threats or plain ol paddling!
Didn't turn me into a mass murderer or career criminal, and the vast majority of us would have grown up under those looming threats as well.
Don't know if I EVER read an article in the paper or seen on the evening news where a "Luxury Tourer gang/thug" held up the local 7-11!
Maybe we need a few more threats like this one, and even a few examples from time to time.
2001 Voyager XII
flip18436572
Traveler
Traveler

Post by flip18436572 »

Scott-(Altoona, PA) wrote:Flip,

Don't know if I EVER read an article in the paper or seen on the evening news where a "Luxury Tourer gang/thug" held up the local 7-11!
Nice post!!!!!

My daughters think I am pretty strict, but both of them understand why I do and say the things I do and now that one is in college she actually believes what we have done with her has helped her. No threats, but she still remembers being put in a corner at our old house. She laughs about now, but she remembers it quite clearly and that was about 14 years ago.
The Masked Rider
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by The Masked Rider »

OK, lets see if this works.

Return to “Poll Forum”