Helmet microphone repair or replacement

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Micoproviso
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1995 Kawasaki Voyager XII
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1983 Honda CB1100F
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 20 times

Helmet microphone repair or replacement

Post by Micoproviso »

I have two helmet sound systems for my 1995 voyager XII. Speakers work on both, but microphone doesn’t work on one helmet. I’ve cleaned all the cable connectors and switched them around enough to know that the problem is at the headset. Is there a source for replacement headsets or somebody that services them? Has anyone had any success frankensteining something modern into the system so stock electronics (volume, CB Mike button, etc) still function?
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Re: Helmet microphone repair or replacement

Post by SgtSlag »

Buy a Bluetooth, in-helmet, intercom system. Buy a Bluetooth converter to channel the CB into the helmet head set. The radio can be connected with a Bluetooth converter, but why bother, the Intercom will have a built-in AM/FM radio.

The Kawasaki wired intercom system and parts are from 1995? They're 27 years old. Are they worth the time and money to fix? Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Micoproviso
Cruiser
Cruiser
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1983 Honda CB1100F

Post by Micoproviso »

SgtSlag wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:02 am Buy a Bluetooth, in-helmet, intercom system. Buy a Bluetooth converter to channel the CB into the helmet head set. The radio can be connected with a Bluetooth converter, but why bother, the Intercom will have a built-in AM/FM radio.

The Kawasaki wired intercom system and parts are from 1995? They're 27 years old. Are they worth the time and money to fix? Cheers!
I’m familiar with the Bluetooth in-helmet intercom system, but can you provide any more detail on the Bluetooth converter to channel the CB into the helmet headset?

I like all of the features of the original system. Auto volume, auto mute of music when the CB is in use, etc… I have a Bluetooth tape drive converter so my phone is connected for music, but can’t talk on the phone with that setup through the helmet.
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 393 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

SENA SR-10. Really cool bluetooth hub. Phone, CB, GPS all feed through the SR-10 to my helmet. The SR-10 was I think $175, and the semi-cheap headset was around $50 and it includes an FM stereo radio.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sena-SR10-10-B ... 7e17e03685

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
These users liked GrandpaDenny's post:
SgtSlag (Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:50 pm) • Micoproviso (Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:49 pm) • Bonnie and Clyde (Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:49 pm)
Rating: 37.5%
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

Thank you, Denny! I knew the Bluetooth hub adapters existed, but I've never shopped for one.

That intercom system is amazingly inexpensive compared to the dual sets we have owned. I think we paid around $400 for our current, and previous, paired (his/her) sets, which are now 5+ years old. Our current system has similar capabilities. Nice to see these devices drastically came down in price!

I think our current system is a Sena -- very nice, but also quite expensive, compared to the system you linked. Not sure our Sena can reach as far as one kilometer, either, for range. When our Sena's fail, I know I will be doing some serious shopping to find a less expensive alternative (hopefully the same quality, but at a much lower price...).

Your information is very much appreciated, Denny! :perfect10: Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Micoproviso
Cruiser
Cruiser
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1983 Honda CB1100F

Post by Micoproviso »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:24 pm SENA SR-10. Really cool bluetooth hub. Phone, CB, GPS all feed through the SR-10 to my helmet. The SR-10 was I think $175, and the semi-cheap headset was around $50 and it includes an FM stereo radio.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sena-SR10-10-B ... 7e17e03685

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
I bought both. Do I need any additional cables or anything to hook it up?
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

SgtSlag wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:48 pm Thank you, Denny! I knew the Bluetooth hub adapters existed, but I've never shopped for one.

That intercom system is amazingly inexpensive compared to the dual sets we have owned. I think we paid around $400 for our current, and previous, paired (his/her) sets, which are now 5+ years old. Our current system has similar capabilities. Nice to see these devices drastically came down in price!

I think our current system is a Sena -- very nice, but also quite expensive, compared to the system you linked. Not sure our Sena can reach as far as one kilometer, either, for range. When our Sena's fail, I know I will be doing some serious shopping to find a less expensive alternative (hopefully the same quality, but at a much lower price...).

Your information is very much appreciated, Denny! :perfect10: Cheers!
Well, the Senas haven't come down that I'm aware of. These have intercom functions, but only with the same kind of headset. I'm not sure, but I think you might have to manually switch between regular and intercom mode. I normally ride solo, so haven't had the opportunity to try them much. I did once or twice but couldn't seem to get them to work correctly.

The SR-10 will pair flawlessly (should) with any other Sena product, so there's no reason to replace them. Just add the SR-10. Pair your headset to the SR10, pair your phone to the SR10 (I use the audio cable too so I get everything, like Pandora, in addition to phone calls into the headset). Pair your SO's headset to yours, and rock.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Micoproviso wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:54 pm I bought both. Do I need any additional cables or anything to hook it up?
IIRC the SR10 comes with 4-pin (TRRS) and 3-pin (TRS) connectors for phone and whatever, respectively. I don't recall if it comes with a radio cable, and even if it does you might have to get the specific one for your radio. What CB are you using? Oh you're using the stock CB? That won't work with this system, however, there are two systems, the SMH10 I think it's called, specifically made to interface with a bike's stock intercom system - one for Harleys and one for Hondas. I don't know if either fits our intercom connectors. I got a connector to try to make the stock system work with the SR10 but it didn't work very well - sounded tinny. I got that cable from Dennis Kirk.

I was able to get every cable I needed or wanted to try from Dennis Kirk.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
Micoproviso
Cruiser
Cruiser
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1983 Honda CB1100F

Post by Micoproviso »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:38 am
Micoproviso wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:54 pm I bought both. Do I need any additional cables or anything to hook it up?
IIRC the SR10 comes with 4-pin (TRRS) and 3-pin (TRS) connectors for phone and whatever, respectively. I don't recall if it comes with a radio cable, and even if it does you might have to get the specific one for your radio. What CB are you using? Oh you're using the stock CB? That won't work with this system, however, there are two systems, the SMH10 I think it's called, specifically made to interface with a bike's stock intercom system - one for Harleys and one for Hondas. I don't know if either fits our intercom connectors. I got a connector to try to make the stock system work with the SR10 but it didn't work very well - sounded tinny. I got that cable from Dennis Kirk.

I was able to get every cable I needed or wanted to try from Dennis Kirk.
Ok, I misunderstood. I thought this was THE solution for the Voyager XII. I cancelled my orders for the devices, and will do some more research. I’m assuming there will be some solution that will utilize the 5 pin DIN connector on the bike in order to take advantage of the existing electronics, handlebar buttons, etc on the bike, and interface them with something like the products above.

If anyone has figured this out before, please let me know.
Bonnie and Clyde
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 1998 Voyager xii Green and Black
2007 KTM Super Enduro 950
2019 KTM xcw 300 TPI
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by Bonnie and Clyde »

Ill bump this thread. My wife wants to go cordless. We have the J&M 5pin system to the clarion unit. I have been using my xm radio playing thru FM signal been working good. I want to keep my xm radio. SO how do I get all the radio and intercoms to work on Bluetooth? I have an older nolan that has a bluetooth set but its pretty much just intercom or paired to a phone. MY bike has the mp3 Bluetooth cassette conversion and im not sure how to make that work It plays thru the system perfect but bluetooth?. My helmet cant find it like a phone can. MY Bike has a CB dont really care about it.

So i want bluetooth intercom
bluetooth radio and xm radio (FM Signal)
wishing I was riding around the world
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

The OEM 5 pin hard wired audio was a J&M Audio,( jmcorp.com ) setup and possibly J&M may have some old stock microphones/parts for those who may want to refurbish the OEM hard wired system.
Also, Sierra Electronics was a large stocking dealer for J&M items and may have old stock.
These users liked triton28's post:
Nails (Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:19 pm) • Bonnie and Clyde (Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:55 pm)
Rating: 25%
Micoproviso
Cruiser
Cruiser
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1983 Honda CB1100F

Post by Micoproviso »

My thought of the ideal solution would be something that plugs into one (or both) 5 pin DIN connectors on the bike, and functions something like the "Sena SR10-10 Bluetooth Adapter for Two-Way Radios or Mobile Phones". It converts those analog audio signals into a bluetooth adapter that can be paired with bluetooth wireless headsets, but lets the bike's controls still function. It doesn't really sound that complicated. All those DIN connectors do is feed the headphone and microphone in the helmet. All of the other wizardry happens in the electronics of the bike.

However, since we're now bluetooth, it would also be nice if that magic bluetooth box, in addition to pairing with a headset, could also pair with a phone to provide music and communications from the phone.

Sena seems to be the company with the most options in this area, maybe there's a Sena forum full of electronics gurus (vs Voyager gurus on here) that can rattle off a solution.
These users liked Micoproviso's post:
Bonnie and Clyde (Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:56 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
Bonnie and Clyde
Traveler
Traveler
2019 KTM xcw 300 TPI

Micoproviso wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:46 pm My thought of the ideal solution would be something that plugs into one (or both) 5 pin DIN connectors on the bike, and functions something like the "Sena SR10-10 Bluetooth Adapter for Two-Way Radios or Mobile Phones". It converts those analog audio signals into a bluetooth adapter that can be paired with bluetooth wireless headsets, but lets the bike's controls still function. It doesn't really sound that complicated. All those DIN connectors do is feed the headphone and microphone in the helmet. All of the other wizardry happens in the electronics of the bike.

However, since we're now bluetooth, it would also be nice if that magic bluetooth box, in addition to pairing with a headset, could also pair with a phone to provide music and communications from the phone.

Sena seems to be the company with the most options in this area, maybe there's a Sena forum full of electronics gurus (vs Voyager gurus on here) that can rattle off a solution.
I sent an email to J&M about their Bluetooth hub module for the Honda 1500. It does exactly what you described. Plugs in to the DIN pin connectors and viola bluetooth!
These users liked Bonnie and Clyde's post:
Micoproviso (Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:11 am)
Bonnie and Clyde
Traveler
Traveler
2019 KTM xcw 300 TPI

J&M responded with

Sorry we cant help you with the Bluetooth hub.........................bummer
Bonnie and Clyde
Traveler
Traveler
2019 KTM xcw 300 TPI

Micoproviso
Cruiser
Cruiser
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1983 Honda CB1100F

Post by Micoproviso »

The Honda package has a 5 pin DIN, just like the Kawasaki, so I'm guessing it will plug in. The question becomes whether or not the Honda and Kawasaki 5 pin DINs are wired the same? It's only audio and microphone (no power), so I don't suppose it will damage anything to just try, but I think I'll look through the Kaw audio documentation to see if there is anything showing how the DIN is wired. If so, I'll try to find a Honda document.

This definitely looks like it's the most likely possibility.
Micoproviso
Cruiser
Cruiser
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1983 Honda CB1100F

Post by Micoproviso »

I looked through all of the service manuals and electrical diagrams, including the Clarion PK-9090V service manual. I saw the 5 pin DINs represented in a few of the diagrams, but none showing how they are wired.
Micoproviso
Cruiser
Cruiser
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1983 Honda CB1100F

Post by Micoproviso »

Here's the goldwing 5 pin DIN wiring...
goldwing5PinDINConnectorWiring.JPG
Bonnie and Clyde
Traveler
Traveler
2019 KTM xcw 300 TPI

ON this link there is drop down menu for the different brand din cords. Kawasaki is an option.

https://www.sena.com/us-en/product/3-5m ... -din-cable
Micoproviso
Cruiser
Cruiser
2005 Kawasaki Concours
1983 Honda CB1100F

Post by Micoproviso »

Bonnie and Clyde wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:34 pm ON this link there is drop down menu for the different brand din cords. Kawasaki is an option.

https://www.sena.com/us-en/product/3-5m ... -din-cable
Must be a different Kawasaki. That list shows a 7 pin cable for Kawasaki. My voyager XII definitely has a 5 pin connector.
These users liked Micoproviso's post:
Bonnie and Clyde (Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:18 pm)

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”