How reasonable is it for me to buy one of these legends

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager 1300 Six-Cylinder.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Nodakfrank
Current bike(s): 2013 tw200
2016 CSC RX3
2018 Bashan Brozz 250
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0

How reasonable is it for me to buy one of these legends

Post by Nodakfrank »

So I have been on a serious dual sport and ADV bike kick for years now but last year I saw a voyager 1300 for sale and was immediately emphatuated with it. I held off and didnt scratch that itch for the time being. I told myself Im not old enough for a bagger as I'm only 32 and I'll get to it someday. Well I saw some for sale and they are calling to me again. There is a really nice zn1300 for sale around here for 1800 and a voyager xll for like 2500. I really want the 1300 since it is the most "extra" bike ive ever seen. I feel like the engineers just thought amicans want more of everything so we will give it to them. What are these things like to live with long term? I am a certflified mechanic and can fix litterally anything but I do actually want to ride the thing occasionally aswell. What are the big things to look for when inspecting one to buy. And would I actually be way better off if I settled for the voyager xll as I know they have a reputation as bomb proof. Thank you soo much for any input as I am new to these bikes. It would look great next to the wifes 1983 kz440 ltd though.
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: How reasonable is it for me to buy one of these legends

Post by Van Voyager »

Speaking from experience, the ZN1300 is a total tank - simply a joy to ride on the highway, either on the interstate or on back roads, but, the bike weighs over 900 lbs with empty luggage, and much of that weight is up high where you don't want it. Once rolling on the highway, the weight seems to disappear, but make no mistake, it's a serious handful riding around town. Worst trait is when starting to turn left or right from a dead stop - if you have to hammer the brakes on for some reason, that 900 lbs makes its presence known with enthusiasm.

As far as reliability goes, I've put about 25k miles on mine over the last several years and it's never left me stranded. I had problems with alternator connectors, which is common for bikes of this vintage, (I finally admitted defeat and simply soldered the wires like everybody else does). I had to put new steering head bearings in this past summer, and the top section of my radio antenna broke off somewhere in Northern Michigan - that's it for repairs (haven't fixed the antenna yet as I'm looking for an OEM replacement so if anyone has one ......)
These users liked Van Voyager's post:
Nodakfrank (Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:15 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

Duplicate post for some reason.
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): Temporarily none.
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Van Voyager wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:42 am the top section of my radio antenna broke off somewhere in Northern Michigan - that's it for repairs (haven't fixed the antenna yet as I'm looking for an OEM replacement so if anyone has one ......)
I don't know about the 1300, but a suitable replacement for the XV11 is a Goldwing 1100 antenna, and they sell the top part, too, which may work for you. https://cyclemax.com/
These users liked GrandpaDenny's post:
Van Voyager (Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:28 pm)
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 219 times

Post by Me Again »

I am a diehard 1300 fan so i may be a little biased.
The 1300 only has a few weaknesses. You have to be willing to put the time into routine maintenance.I think of it as a labor of love.
Old school valve shims need attention or the bike will become very hard to cold start especially if you like to ride late into the season (below 50 degrees) Tends to be a non issue when routine maintenance is kept up
The fairing is extremely heavy and if not kept tight will shake itself to oblivion. That's also one of the things you want to check when buying one.Inner fairing cracks if not tight.
87 and 88 are the only years with cruise control. Not a necessity but kind of nice to have.
Once you're used to it the weight is not a big problem, (unless you're backing up a hill)
$1800 for a bike that does not show a lot of abuse is probably a good starting point
These users liked Me Again's post:
Nodakfrank (Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:15 pm)
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer

Post by Van Voyager »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:59 am I don't know about the 1300, but a suitable replacement for the XV11 is a Goldwing 1100 antenna, and they sell the top part, too, which may work for you. https://cyclemax.com/
Thanks for that Dennis - didn't realize Cyclemax sold just the top section.

I like the notion of a fold down antenna and would go for that option, but it's not clear if the GL antenna screws onto the OEM ZN1300 Kawasaki antenna base or if some mods are required. On the ZN1300 the antenna base is just a raw stud that screws through the bracket and the antenna screws on to that - is that the same as a 1200 Voyager?
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Van Voyager wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:28 pm I like the notion of a fold down antenna and would go for that option, but it's not clear if the GL antenna screws onto the OEM ZN1300 Kawasaki antenna base or if some mods are required. On the ZN1300 the antenna base is just a raw stud that screws through the bracket and the antenna screws on to that - is that the same as a 1200 Voyager?
I don't know, I have no experience with the 1300. Sure is a cool looking bike, though. I'd rather have a 900 lb. 1300 than a 900 lb. H****y! Well, never having ridden either that may or not be simply bias LOL. The Goldwing 1100/1200 antenna is a direct (and cheap) replacement for the VXII CB antenna - that's what Gertrude has on her factory CB antenna mount.
These users liked GrandpaDenny's post:
Van Voyager (Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:04 pm)
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
Conrad
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 93 kawasaki voyager xii
89 yamaha venture royale
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Conrad »

I swapped the folding antenna from my yamaha venture royale to my voyager xii, it fits fine. Maybe the antennas are mostly universal? Dunno if this heps...
These users liked Conrad's post:
Van Voyager (Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:04 pm)
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Oh - and the Goldwing antenna folds. It's a sturdier hinge joint than the VXII factory radio antenna has, too.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
pwbii
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager ZN1300A6
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by pwbii »

I bought my first one new in 1984 while working as a mechanic for Saratoga Kawasaki. I love this bike, my current one is a 1988. I'm having some elec issues right now, but I will figure it out. I love the six cylinder. I now have a 1984 for parts. You won't regret having one of these.

Return to “General - Voyager 1300 Six”