Front Brake Locking Up - 2018 Voyager

Got a tech tip for Vulcan Voyager 1700's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

disco42
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Front Brake Locking Up - 2018 Voyager

Post by disco42 »

Replaced the brake fluid, bled the brakes and the last 6 times I was out, after 15-30 minutes of riding the front brake seizes up. Brake lever can't be depressed, rock hard. If I wait 30 minutes or so it will disengage enough I can go another 300 yards and it repeats. OR, I can loosen the front nut on the bleed nipple and about 2-3cc of fluid will squirt out - so under a lot of pressure.. Then it's fine for the rest of the ride.
Ideas? Thx.
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: Front Brake Locking Up - 2018 Voyager

Post by Van Voyager »

Classic (and common) symptom of a plugged equalizing port in the master cylinder. The equalizing port is the smaller of the two holes in the master cylinder - sometimes covered with a push-on splash deflector. Use a small guitar string to dislodge whatever is blocking the port (and don't poke too hard - you want to avoid scratching the piston bore opposite the hole).

With the port unclogged (and with the splash shield removed - if it has one) you should see fluid squirt up from that hole when you pull in the lever (don't go too hard on pulling or it'll spray brake fluid everywhere).

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1700 V-Twin”