1200xii foot room

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Dustind
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawaski voyager 1200 xii
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

1200xii foot room

Post by Dustind »

hello, I just purchased a very clean 1988 voyager 1200xii the bike is in very nice condition and really only have a few small issues. one being the buttons on the radio seem to work little off and on, controls on the bars work but are slow, and the speckers need replaced however the major issue for me is the foot room. i do believe it has the factory foot pegs and shifter and floorboards on the rear. The issue is wearing a size 12 boot i have very little room for my feet to shift or use the foot brake. can anyone tell me a solution to this? or perhaps point me in the direction to find floorboards with a heal toe shifter and some and highway pegs to Strech out? everywhere I look I don't seem to find the right ones they are for newer bikes. not really looking for anything to fancy. my legs feel like they should be stretched out more like on other cruisers I've had in the past, but a pair of highway pegs should fix that, I just need more room and control with my feet. any help would be appreciated Thanks!
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 544 times

Re: 1200xii foot room

Post by Nails »

I found the floorboards to be awkward even with size 9 feet. There isn't enough room between the heel and toe part, so you have to choose which is sticking out, else keep your feet entirely wide of it on the edge of the floorboard. The brake was worse because the pedal is pretty far above the floorboard. I ended up riding with my heel on the pedal's pivot. I changed to pegs and haven't looked back. I think the pegs are a little lower than the boards, too. For dancing in the curves, I like having my feet close together and under me.

Most folks have highway pegs for stretching out. My beef with that it that it puts your feet in the gill-slit hot air. (I ride in deserts a lot.) The best solution I found is to point my toes with my feet on the very tip of the pegs. Or just bake and quit whining -- the XII is a hot ride in triple-digits. In other words, I'm not sure you'll find the solution you want -- I haven't. In less extremely hot temps, the highway pegs work swell.
--
Nails
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

You can adjust the position / height of the brake pedal. I have no problem with the brake pedal, and I have size 15 feet. Ideally, you should be riding with the balls of your feet on the pegs normally, not with the peg against your heel. Having said that, though, you can move your feet around on the pegs however you want.

To adjust the brake pedal, follow the pedal back until you see a black plastic cover with two screws on it. Remove those screws and the brake pedal pivot is exposed. Loosen the bolt and move the pedal on the splines to wherever is comfortable to you. The manual specifies a certain height, IIRC without looking it's even with the top of the peg, but you can adjust it to your preference.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 1500

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 544 times

Post by Nails »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:14 pmYou can adjust the position / height of the brake pedal.
Not so much with floorboards. IIRC, the issue is having the pedal high enough to go down enough ... or maybe it's a-whole-nuther pedal. (I've slept a few times since swapping back to pegs.)

I just know I had a hassle with floorboards, on both sides. Good riddance.

Yes, on balls of feet; and feet close together and under your butt. Neither happening with floorboards.
--
Nails
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

Emgo floorboards, on Amazon.com, 1" clamps, $61.17 per pair. Clamp them onto the engine guard bars. Cheers!
These users liked SgtSlag's post:
Scott-(Altoona, PA) (Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:01 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

SgtSlag wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:11 am Emgo floorboards, on Amazon.com, 1" clamps, $61.17 per pair. Clamp them onto the engine guard bars. Cheers!
This is exactly what I did (size 11 shoe). I ride with feet forward most of the time and draw my feet back as needed! :thmup:
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”