2002 Voyager XII Brakes Question

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

glvnthedream
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII 1200
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 14 times

2002 Voyager XII Brakes Question

Post by glvnthedream »

I just got this 2002 Voyager XII and it has been sitting for a while. I just replaced the front fork seals, rear shocks, and brake pads in front after installing the forks.

The piston was tough to get pushed in on the left and the right calipers but I got the new pads in and did a test ride. Found the brakes were sticking a bit and had a squeal. So, I took both calipers back off and verified the metal clip was positioned correctly and cleaned them up a little, and reinstalled . It was late so I called it a night and waited till morning before test driving. This morning when I went to test drive the front brakes were not releasing.

As I said this bike has not been ridden often in the past couple of years and I wanted some advice on whether this could be a caliper piston problem or something else. How difficult to break the calipers down, clean them, and then reinstall them? With the calipers likely being original, are there typical parts that should likely order before pulling them apart and typically fail after this many years?

I am a new motorcycle owner and rider so this is an all-new experience all around for me.

Thanks in advance. Hope there is enough info to get an idea of what I am asking.
Van Voyager
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 1986 Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 37 times

Re: 2002 Voyager XII Brakes Question

Post by Van Voyager »

First check that the master cylinder equalizing port is not blocked. If that port is plugged, the pads can't retract properly, causing the brakes to heat up, increasing the pressure on the pads, and so on, until the wheel locks up. It's very common for that port to get plugged (on any bike) after the bike sits for an extended period.
glvnthedream
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by glvnthedream »

Considering it’s my first time working with brakes, could you put that in laymen’s terms with a location and how to check.

Van Voyager wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:33 pm First check that the master cylinder equalizing port is not blocked. If that port is plugged, the pads can't retract properly, causing the brakes to heat up, increasing the pressure on the pads, and so on, until the wheel locks up. It's very common for that port to get plugged (on any bike) after the bike sits for an extended period.
These users liked glvnthedream's post:
Van Voyager (Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:00 am)
Rating: 12.5%
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

In the master cylinder there are 2 very small holes drilled into the piston bore located on the bottom of the reservoir.
The larger hole which is the farthest from the banjo bolt connection is the feed into the piston bore and usually does not cause a problem.
The smaller hole is the one closest to the banjo bolt connection and is the hole which Van Voyager spoke of. It is this hole which usually causes all of the trouble as it corrodes up due to water content in the brake fluid: the pumped up fluid can NOT return into the master cylinder reservoir. This of course causes all parts of the system to remain under pressure.
If I recall correctly it is a # 69 or #70 numbered drill bit to clean it out or a stiff piece of wire sometimes will work.
Be careful and cover any and all plastics under the MC reservoir when working the lever with the cover off as the return hole does erupt fluid when it is open and the hand lever is released.
Dave
These users liked triton28's post:
Nails (Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:15 am) • Van Voyager (Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:00 am)
Rating: 25%
glvnthedream
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by glvnthedream »

Thank you for the follow-up and details. I will check it out and post my findings.

Much appreciated!!!
triton28 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:03 am In the master cylinder there are 2 very small holes drilled into the piston bore located on the bottom of the reservoir.
The larger hole which is the farthest from the banjo bolt connection is the feed into the piston bore and usually does not cause a problem.
The smaller hole is the one closest to the banjo bolt connection and is the hole which Van Voyager spoke of. It is this hole which usually causes all of the trouble as it corrodes up due to water content in the brake fluid: the pumped up fluid can NOT return into the master cylinder reservoir. This of course causes all parts of the system to remain under pressure.
If I recall correctly it is a # 69 or #70 numbered drill bit to clean it out or a stiff piece of wire sometimes will work.
Be careful and cover any and all plastics under the MC reservoir when working the lever with the cover off as the return hole does erupt fluid when it is open and the hand lever is released.
Dave
Van Voyager (Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:00 am)
Rating: 12.5%
glvnthedream
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by glvnthedream »

That was the issue. Though I wasn’t ready for the geyser that erupted. I had rags tuck under and around the reservoir and carefully inserted the bit. Twist and a little pressure pushing down and the clog cleared spectacularly with brake fluid flying.

It was a quick dash for soap and water to clean up.

Brakes are back to operational.

Thank you

triton28 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:03 am In the master cylinder there are 2 very small holes drilled into the piston bore located on the bottom of the reservoir.
Dave
cushman eagle (Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:17 am) • triton28 (Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:18 am)
Rating: 25%

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”