Probably getting rid of my bike

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

BonVoyager
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 99XII
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 1 time

Probably getting rid of my bike

Post by BonVoyager »

Hi folks. My bike is the green and black 99 , 39000 miles. Runs ok and looks good. The center radiator little 90 degree hose gave out . I have been struggling with it mainly getting that steel hose that goes into the engine on the lower left side back in - the 10mm bolt to be exact. It's like Kawasaki made it as difficult as possible. So I had it back together not knowing there was an O ring in there and it was bad. I fought for about an hour to get that 10 mm bolt to line up and thread in but I did. I foolishly thought I've got it beaten now , but I was wrong. So today I went out to tackle it again. I took my new hose back loose and got the O ring in and worked the hose back on. I thought I had the bolt going in straight but then the head broke off. At this point my $2600 bike is worthless except for parts. I don't dare take the exhaust system off is my guess but that's probably what it'll need. I've kept the battery tender on it but I won't start it with the cooling system open. I'm assuming it'll start. Any suggestions on what it's worth the way it is ? Got to be honest - I'm sorry I ever bought it but I still think it's a good bike . I did replace both of the rubber hoses right behind the radiator. I'm guessing it's not worth taking to a shop . It'd probably cost a $1000 just to get this poorly designed metal hose back into place. Thanks for any input .
Deep Thoughts
Cruiser
Cruiser
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: Probably getting rid of my bike

Post by Deep Thoughts »

BonVoyager wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:49 pmAt this point my $2600 bike is worthless except for parts. Any suggestions on what it's worth the way it is ? Got to be honest - I'm sorry I ever bought it but I still think it's a good bike. I'm guessing it's not worth taking to a shop . It'd probably cost a $1000 just to get this poorly designed metal hose back into place. Thanks for any input .
First thing first...take several slow and deep breaths...and realize the situation is not as terrible as you may think! :pray:

I and hopefully others will chime in to encourage you. Your bike IS NOT worthless, and it isn't a parts bike. If the only issue you are facing is a broken bolt, that can be remedied. You may try enlisting the help of a "pro", but I believe you can conquer the issue yourself. Patience is the key, along with the correct tools and knowledge.

Instead of making presumptions about how it will be too costly to repair the machine, take some time to research your options and make an informed decision. The people on this forum LOVE to help others. It may take some time for the suggestions to roll in. Please help us help you. We don't need more "parts" Voyagers. We prefer them all operating as Mamma Kaw intended, which is rolling on two wheels. :gig:

When you are able, post pictures and any other pertinent info you have. The absolute worst case scenario you may be facing is; someone may want to purchase the bike from you, make the repair and enjoy it.
That isn't a bad thing. Keep your head up and keep us informed! :thmup:
These users liked Deep Thoughts's post:
triton28 (Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:32 am) • BonVoyager (Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:23 pm) • Nails (Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:42 pm) • cushman eagle (Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:02 am)
Rating: 50%
BonVoyager
Streetster
Streetster

Post by BonVoyager »

DT , thanks for the non judgemental advice! I honestly came back and tried to delete this post. I figured I'd get flamed but good :lol:
I let it get under my skin for sure. I went back out later and laid there and reassessed . I removed the shift lever and foot peg and got the cover off of the water pump without breaking the clutch line loose. That hole where the bolt went is now drilled out . I'm going to have to find the correct length bolt and then put a lock washer and a nut on it . I dont' see why this won't work and it'll be easier in the end to get a bolt through without having to line the threads up . If this does not work I'll be looking for a water pump , or at least the cover for it .
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

Post by Nails »

Honestly, I (briefly) entertained the notion of throwing some tools together and buzzing "next door" to fix it in your driveway and then riding it home. But I'm not really that big of a jerk ... and one XII is quite enough.
With a little handlebar therapy, you'll soon enough forget all about this temporary insanity. :lol:
These users liked Nails's post:
BonVoyager (Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:53 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
--
Nails
BonVoyager
Streetster
Streetster

Post by BonVoyager »

I got the water pump cover back on and put it together. That metal tube seems to move up and down in the hole until you cinch it down some. No way to tell if you've got it lined up. I found a bolt long enough to slip flat and lock washers onto . It's still nearly impossible to get the socket to stay on the head of the bolt because of the exhaust. Obviously Kawasaki wasn't concerned with ease (or cost) of maintenance. So for a little while I had a ray of hope but now I'm back to pessimism. I drew that steel tube down as far as it'd go and water is still pouring out of it . Yes , the new O ring is in there.

Well, I guess i should try looking through the manual more often! :bat: I did have to hunt for it and I foolishly thought this was a simple job but now I know I"ve made it more difficult by not being more studious. I pushed the O ring down into the water pump and it appears it is supposed to be slipped on over the steel tube . I'm going to go and take it apart once again and see if I can finally get this right.
I wish there were more videos of how to's on this bike online . Thanks
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 810 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

I hope you are able to work through the issue :please:
I have had my "99 since november 2009,and added 86,000 mile to the odometer,and have never regretted buying it for $5000. :perfect10:
These users liked cushman eagle's post:
BonVoyager (Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:52 am)
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
BonVoyager
Streetster
Streetster

Post by BonVoyager »

I think I am working through it . If I'd had the manual on hand I'd have avoided some of this frustration. My problem is I've tackled various smaller repair jobs by assessing them and usually getting it right. My wife has an 06 Beetle that needed the transmission serviced . This car doesn't have a dipstick and the fluid has to be pumped up from below . I fashioned a homemade way to do it without buying any adapters or pumping devices. After dropping the pan I was able to get the fluid in plus a can of Seafoam Transtune . The car was shifting very erratically but the Seafoam saved the day. I really didn't expect it to work as well as it did. But I digress. I'm not a motorcycle mechanic (obviously :rolling: ) but I"ve managed to keep my vehicles in good working order . I've had my Denali for 14 years and my Corvair for 6. But this bike I definitely made a a couple of stupid errors plus that steel tube is not easy to get at . Anyway , today I'm planning on , hopefully , getting this right.
BonVoyager
Streetster
Streetster

Post by BonVoyager »

cushman eagle wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:11 am I hope you are able to work through the issue :please:
I have had my "99 since november 2009,and added 86,000 mile to the odometer,and have never regretted buying it for $5000. :perfect10:
So that's a long time to hang on to a bike. Have you been through this procedure? Did you have to drop the exhaust ? Thanks for the well wishes. :-D
BonVoyager
Streetster
Streetster

Post by BonVoyager »

Ok it looks like I’m done with this bike. I pushed the O ring onto this steel tube and tightened it down. Water is still coming out. Either I’m just not understanding why this should be so simple or something else is wrong. The water pump cover looks fine to me. It wasn’t leaking here before. My Honda v30 never gave me this kind of trouble. Someone make me an offer. I don’t want to look
At this nightmare anymore. I appreciate the support but I need technical support not moral. Thanks
Deep Thoughts
Cruiser
Cruiser
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Deep Thoughts »

The complete factory service manual is available via a link that has been provided by a member on this site. Free to download! If you post pictures of your dilemma, you may get more responses of a technical nature. If I were not a plane ride away from you, I would be there with tools to get you squared away and enjoying the Voyager. I, like others, need to see precisely what is happening with your situation to be able to offer better assistance. Have you considered making a YooToob video and asking for help in that manner?
VoyKimmer
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII
1996 Voyager XII
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 98 times

Post by VoyKimmer »

I know exactly what you’re going thru. I have a 2002 Voyager with 101500 miles on it that I brought brand new in 2002. I kept getting the same thing as you. I ended up pulling the radiator out and dropping the exhaust pipes from the front of the engine and I think I even loosened and dropped the mufflers in the back. Don’t remember but the trick is you have to get everything out of the way so that cooling pipe goes strait into the water pump housing.
Not an easy job. In fact IMHA. It’s the worst job to do on the voyager. Carbs are much easier.
Also use lots of lube. I used KY jelly. Works good and is water soluble.
These users liked VoyKimmer's post:
cushman eagle (Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:05 am)
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 810 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by cushman eagle »

BonVoyager wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:57 pm
cushman eagle wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:11 am I hope you are able to work through the issue :please:
So that's a long time to hang on to a bike. Have you been through this procedure? Did you have to drop the exhaust ? Thanks for the well wishes. :-D
Yes,I have been through that,when my water manifold 0-rings started leaking.
I did drop the front of the exhaust to remove the radiator.
I also changed all cooling system o-rings and hoses.
Lubing the o-rings helps reduce the chance of shearing off a piece of the ring.
The VXII can seem hard to work on,until I have to work on a european farm tractor,then the VXII seems like a very easy bike to service :thmup:
These users liked cushman eagle's post:
Nails (Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:29 pm)
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

Post by Nails »

cushman eagle wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:16 amThe VXII can seem hard to work on,until I have to work on a european farm tractor,then the VXII seems like a very easy bike to service :thmup:
It's taken me months to replace a torque converter in my Taurus. (Okay, I was gone more than half of that and dealing with a shoulder injury the whole time.)

My wife took her Mini in for a valve cover gasket and oil change. Now it needs a PVC valve ... and that upped the cost to $940!

As far as service goes, I like motorcycles -- and tractors -- for at least having the motor on the outside. And I like old vehicles for having at least a little consideration for service after they assemble the bitch.

APOLOGIES UP FRONT -- DON'T REALLY MEAN TO HIJACK INTO SUCH WHINING!
These users liked Nails's post:
cushman eagle (Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:08 am)
--
Nails

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”