Accessing the Choke Cable

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

glvnthedream
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII 1200
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 14 times

Accessing the Choke Cable

Post by glvnthedream »

I have had my Voyager now for about 2 months and am learning every day as far as working on it to get it in good working order. My next task is to get the Choke cable functioning. The choke lever does not work and I use my thumb to engage the choke when cold starting so I would like to get that corrected. How do I get access to the top of the carbs to access the cable in the most efficient way?

I found this video that should do the trick. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bKWCzDX0D8

Found the issue. Simple troubleshooting for sure. Cable is broke.
IMG_9505.jpeg
IMG_9506.jpeg
Thanks in advance. If you have seen my earlier posts I am new to this and struggle to understand the pics in the manual.
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Re: Accessing the Choke Cable

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

Greg, I bought my '01 XII back in 2006 and a few years later had to replace the choke cable. I ordered one from Carl Leo (entire unit cable and sheathing) and he advised that I soak it for several hours or overnight, if possible, in a tub of oil (used would be fine he said). I did that very thing and its now been in use since 2008, 15 years with no issues. So, what little advise I have is just that, soak the entire cable unit in oil, pull it out, wipe it off, install in and use it. :thmup:
These users liked Scott-(Altoona, PA)'s post:
glvnthedream (Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:06 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
glvnthedream
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2002 Kawasaki Voyager XII 1200
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: Accessing the Choke Cable

Post by glvnthedream »

Thanks Scott. I ordered one off of E-bay which seems to be the Voyager parts store so far. :-)

I will definitely take the advice and let it soak overnight.

Much appreciated sir.

Scott-(Altoona, PA) wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:46 pm Greg, I bought my '01 XII back in 2006 and a few years later had to replace the choke cable. I ordered one from Carl Leo (entire unit cable and sheathing) and he advised that I soak it for several hours or overnight, if possible, in a tub of oil (used would be fine he said). I did that very thing and its now been in use since 2008, 15 years with no issues. So, what little advise I have is just that, soak the entire cable unit in oil, pull it out, wipe it off, install in and use it. :thmup:

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”