TPMS

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '99 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!
Has liked: 812 times
Been liked: 273 times

TPMS

Post by cushman eagle »

I am thankful for my TPMS :thmup:
Saturday,Peg and I headed to our breakfast at GIGIS 2 miles north,and I heard what sounded like a backup alarm,I finnaly looked at my TPMS ,and saw I only had 23 lbs in my back tire :hmm:
By the time I got back home,I was down to 22 lbs,and the screen on the TPMS was flashing red.
My plan after breakfast was to take a 250-300 mile trip,which I would have headed out on without the TPMS,as the VXII felt normal yet. :thk:
That is one time I thanked God for the bad news :pray:
I do have a new Commander III on the back already,but I only had 9,000 miles on the last one before a roofing nail cut it's life short.
These users liked cushman eagle's post:
Lucasind (Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:51 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
'99 Voyager VXII,'58 Cushman Eagle
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 549 times

Re: TPMS

Post by Nails »

A few years ago, I broke three ribs riding a d/s on the road. The front tire's sidewalls were so stiff I didn't notice it was flat ... right up until the bead broke turning (okay, kinda briskly) at an intersection. I plan to put TPMS on it, too.

Never mind what a PITA it is to check the XII back tire pressure. (I moved the filler toward the brake side, which is much easier when on the sidestand.)
These users liked Nails's post:
Lucasind (Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:51 pm)
--
Nails
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

A TPMS system is worth its weight in gold. They are amazingly affordable these days.

I have them on my truck, Jeep Cherokee, and my XII. They are all life savers. Won't ride/drive without them ever again. Thinking I should get some on my motorcycle trailer. Had tire pressure issues with those in the past: had to replace the tires due to over-inflation, was $90/tire + rim. Ran them on one, 1,500 mile trip, and they were shot. Can't afford to do that after every trip! Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 432 times
Been liked: 393 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Nails wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:25 pm Never mind what a PITA it is to check the XII back tire pressure. (I moved the filler toward the brake side, which is much easier when on the sidestand.)
Well, yeah, doing it on the side stand is a pain. I put her up on the center stand, in neutral, and lay down to check and fill. I may be old, but I guess I'm in pretty good shape as I don't usually have any problem kneeling or laying down or getting up. Being able to spin the wheel to where I can get at the valve stem is the key. I don't see how there's much of a difference having the valve stem on the "wrong" side - the saddlebag's still in the way, and you still have to get the wheel in the proper place before putting her on the side stand, and you can't see where the valve is when you're putting the bike on its stand.

Are you over complicating things again, Nails? LOL
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:14 amAre you over complicating things again, Nails? LOL
Me?
I just peek under there and roll the bike a little forward or backward.
Sheesh.

But yeah, I still have to lay on the ground to touch the valve cap. It's nice to avoid that every morning.
--
Nails
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Nails wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:03 pm But yeah, I still have to lay on the ground to touch the valve cap. It's nice to avoid that every morning.
Every morning? Wow. I check my tire pressures once a week.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

Well, when I'm touring.

But the whole point is that now, with TPMS, I check it every time I fire it up.

I'm getting too old to really see it when underway. I dang-sure can't hear it. But sometimes I notice it flashing at me -- which it does pretty-much every time it's wicked-hot out. (Monitors tire temp too -- and that back tire temp can just soar.)
--
Nails
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Nails wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:03 pm
GrandpaDenny wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:14 amAre you over complicating things again, Nails? LOL
Me?
I just peek under there and roll the bike a little forward or backward.
Sheesh.

But yeah, I still have to lay on the ground to touch the valve cap. It's nice to avoid that every morning.
So let me get this right. You kneel down or bend down to see where the valve stem is, presumable with the bike on the side stand. Then you raise the bike up off the stand and move it forward or backwards a little bit, put the side stand down, and take another look, bending or kneeling down. Then if you need to do it again, you get up again, lift the bike off the side stand, roll it a little further in your chosen direction, then put it back on the side stand and bend or kneel down again to look. Do you start the bike to move it, or sit on it and duck walk, or lean it against your hip? Oh yeah, and you have to walk around to the other side of the bike every time too, right?

I'm trying to figure out how this is easier and faster than putting the bike on the center stand in neutral with the valve in the stock position. :-O
These users liked GrandpaDenny's post:
cushman eagle (Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:38 am)
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road
1958 Cushman Eagle restoration has been finished,and have put 3030 miles on her!

Post by cushman eagle »

Nails wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:04 pm Well, when I'm touring.

But the whole point is that now, with TPMS, I check it every time I fire it up.

I'm getting too old to really see it when underway. I dang-sure can't hear it. But sometimes I notice it flashing at me -- which it does pretty-much every time it's wicked-hot out. (Monitors tire temp too -- and that back tire temp can just soar.)
Nails,I found out about the hot weather causing heat warnings,and also raising pressures above the warning limits on the TPMS,when we rode to the Springfield Mo.rally :hmm:
I have the Sykik SRTP-300 TPMS,and the couple we rode we were able to understand the operators manual,and raised the limits several lbs and degrees to stop the warnings. :thmup:
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

You copied the owner's manual and mailed it to me, but let's just say that I'm a tad slow with some chores.

I have your letter right here and just looked at the postmark: 7/1/21. Do I need to copy this and send it back to you?
--
Nails
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

There are many ways to gain access to the valve stems on the XII. The important take-away in this thread is that it is incredibly easy to safely monitor your tire pressures using a TPMS System. They're very inexpensive (all things considered), available on e-Bay. Link to a MC TPMS search, $22.68, delivered to your doorstep!

A set of 90-degree valve stems help with air access. Another worthy investment in the tires for convenience in maintaining their pressure, keeping riders safe.

To be honest, I hate the OEM valve stems and wheel setups: freakin' PITA! The TPMS System is a real labor saver. Its warning alarms have saved us, more than once. Got my original for <$60, and the replacement for <$40. Sensor batteries died after two years, I damaged one sensor trying to open it to replace the lithium watch battery. Easier to order a replacement system than to order a new sensor, so I just got the complete (updated) package. Each replacement battery cost me >$5, so two new batteries is >$10, and that is 1/4 the cost of an entire, new system! I ended up buying a C-spring clip pliers to unscrew the sensor cap to get at the batteries, which was a $20 tool! Hardly worth replacing the sensor batteries, to be honest...

I now have a back-up Receiver/Monitor, which can be paired with the new sensors, if needed. Both monitors charge via USB; both are very similar in settings; both connect using similar mounting hardware. Now that I have the special pliers needed, and I have two sets of Receivers/Monitors, I will just replace the batteries, unless I break another sensor in the process of replacing the battery. :!!

:perfect10: A TPMS System is one of the greatest safety, and convenience, investments you can make, on any motorcycle. :perfect10:

Cheers!
These users liked SgtSlag's post:
GrandpaDenny (Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:35 am)
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
cushman eagle
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by cushman eagle »

Nails wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:56 am You copied the owner's manual and mailed it to me, but let's just say that I'm a tad slow with some chores.

I have your letter right here and just looked at the postmark: 7/1/21. Do I need to copy this and send it back to you?
No,Nails,I still have the original,just did not have the skill set to adjust the upper limits with out a lot of experimentation :hmm: :rolling:
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

Not so sure I have it, either.
--
Nails
Deep Thoughts
Cruiser
Cruiser
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Deep Thoughts »

Nails and Denny...you guys crack me up! Like a married couple that watch the same TV show because there is only one TV in the house...but one of you hates the show that is on. :rolling:

My dad would yell at the TV when a character would say something that dad knew was nonsense, then mom would yell at him for yelling at the TV, saying the actor was required to say that dumb line because that was his job.

You guys keep up the friendly banter...it is great entertainment! :-D
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

I think I'm gonna be sick. :oops:
--
Nails
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Nails wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:58 pm I think I'm gonna be sick. :oops:
And I have a reputation as a sick pup
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
Conrad
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 93 kawasaki voyager xii
89 yamaha venture royale
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Conrad »

:perfect10: :gig:
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

I can just imagine the hijinks if/when Nail and I ever get together. I can see it now, him doing his best Rube Goldberg treatment on any poor unsuspecting unattended machine whilst I run around with a handful of tie-wraps saying, "here, use these, it'll be fine"
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250

Post by Nails »

I was waiting for you to ride by on your way to Flagstaff. It seems you're neglecting your relationship with that lady named Arizona.
--
Nails
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Nails wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:17 pm I was waiting for you to ride by on your way to Flagstaff. It seems you're neglecting your relationship with that lady named Arizona.
I haven't been to Arizona in 38 years. I suppose if I still had any family there that speak to me (and vice-versa) besides the one nephew I haven't seen since 1978 I might be more inclined to take a trip out there. It is still on my list of "things I might like to do someday" but not high up.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:

Return to “General Chat”