Lucky!

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Conrad
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 93 kawasaki voyager xii
89 yamaha venture royale
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 55 times

Lucky!

Post by Conrad »

20230817_172819.jpg
Boy did i dodge a bullet! Changed the oil in my bike, and after putting the plugs and filter back in and filling with oil, i find this little guy stuck to the old filter yet! Luckily i hadn't started it yet, so no oil in the filter canister yet :woohoo:
Just glad it didn't stick on the filter when i threw it out, i never would have known!
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 393 times

Re: Lucky!

Post by GrandpaDenny »

LOL I've done that. Forgotten all kinds of things at various times. Used to be it took me three tries to actually get an oil change done. Expensive way to do things! Last couple of times I've finally got it down to a science - didn't forget anything, didn't put anything in upside-down.
These users liked GrandpaDenny's post:
triton28 (Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:13 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Re: Lucky!

Post by SgtSlag »

That is the washer that sits between the filter's central, rubber O-ring gasket, the bike's filter spring, with the filter bolt going through all of them, holding everything in place. It prevents the filter spring from digging into the filter's center rubber O-ring gasket assembly. I left mine out for a couple of years, on my Honda (see below). The filter bolt has the bypass valve inside of it (Honda and Kawi seem to have used the same filter bolt, just different lengths!). I believe that if the filter becomes blocked, oil pressure will compress the spring, pushing the filter down far enough for oil to bypass it, keeping the oil flowing through the engine. That is likely the only time that washer really comes into play. Chances of the oil filter plugging, are minute, as long as you change oil and filter, on schedule (I always change the filter with the oil, always). Oil, and filter, are dirt cheap, in the long run.

My '79 Honda had an identical washer and spring setup. I left the same washer out of that bike, two seasons, before I realized it should be there. Saw it on a schematic drawing on Bike Bandit's parts website: ordered a replacement, and added it back into the assembly when I got it. No harm, no foul, no damage. The XII and my CB750K used the same identical oil filter, and steel filter washer, as well. Cheers!

:thmup:
These users liked SgtSlag's post:
cushman eagle (Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:42 am)
Rating: 12.5%
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”