cover that fits

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Tuna Man 62
Current bike(s): 1994 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

cover that fits

Post by Tuna Man 62 »

I'm looking for an all weather cover to fit the XII. I purchased one online that said it fit touring bikes, but alas, it did not. Any recommendations on who makes one, and where to find it? Reasonably priced too, I'd like to keep both arms and legs.

Tuna Man
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 549 times

Re: cover that fits

Post by Nails »

I bought some Bilt cover that was on sale, size XL. The sales folk said it'd surely fit, so I tried it on right at the store. It did fit fine. (That cover saved my butt when I had to disassemble the triple-clamp to repair the headset lock, in a public parking garage, over a couple days, 2k miles from home. Just covered the mess up.)

Below is the one I take traveling -- about as lightweight and stuff-able as it gets. Fits the bike swell ... 'cause I made it. (Well, it fit better before I dumped the trunk.) The ripstop nylon won't put up with much UV though, so just for travel.
P1000506.jpg
--
Nails
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

I bought one from Nelson-Rigg, years ago. Love it. When we tour, we cover the bike with it at night: it keeps dew off of the seat, and the rest of the bike; it keeps Lookie-Lu's at bay, as it is covered up, so nothing for them to look at, except a small portion of the tires poking out; it compresses down to fit in a provided bag, which we push between the passenger seat, and the Trunk (XII Trunk Extender, pushed all the way back for max comfort), forming a cushiony pad for our rumps, when we ride, keeping it secure. Had it for around 8+ years -- would buy another in a heartbeat! We went for the high-end, XXL cover, and it works superbly -- worth every penny! Our's is silver and red.

Wife and I swap positions on the bike, typically every two hours, so I know what each position rides like, based on 1,000's of miles of enjoying front and rear seats. We both love the cover as a cushion, between the rear seat, and the trunk backrest; we both love that it keeps the bike, and the seats, dry and clean, overnight, while we sleep nearby. It has some attached, factory bungy cords, with hooks, that connect with the reinforced holes on the opposite sides, allowing us to pull it tight on the belly, making it more time-consuming for anyone to pull it off -- this keeps honest people, honest, with their hands off our bike. Cheers!
These users liked SgtSlag's post:
Tuna Man 62 (Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:02 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 393 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
Tuna Man 62

Post by Tuna Man 62 »

Thanks for the replies folks! And thanks SgtSlag, I just received my cover from Nelson-Rigg, and it fits great! I opted for the extreme for the most protection. When travelling, I keep it in a Voyager soft case that snaps to the luggage rack on the trunk-- real convenient.

Tuna Man
These users liked Tuna Man 62's post:
cushman eagle (Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:19 am)
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by SgtSlag »

I hope you enjoy your Nelson-Rigg cover as much as we enjoy ours. It should last you a very long time, giving good service for the duration.

For anyone else looking for a bike cover...

Our Nelson-Rigg cover, and the current XXL cover, have air vents, so air can circulate in and around the bike, when covered. That was a real selling point for us, as well: it does not trap moisture and vapors inside, like a sealed cover would.

These covers have a soft liner in the front, where it covers the windshield. This liner prevents the cover from scratching the Plexiglass windshield.

Our cover came with bungee cords with hooks, to secure it. The current model just has the heavy-duty eyelets -- you need to supply your own bungee cords to lash it under your bike's belly.

When we come out of our motel room, in the morning, the cover is often wet with dew. We shake it off, roll it up, bag it, and stow it. That cover is fantastic. It is well designed, well made, and a real boon to our touring. We've come out in the rain, uncovered our dry bike, hopped on, and ridden off into the rain -- but the seats were dry, they were not filled with water puddles waiting to soak our backsides! We've used the cover to shield the bike while we stopped for meals, keeping the seats dry until we returned -- we hate sitting in a seat puddle! :-(

Nice, quality rain gear (Frogg-Toggs: not very durable, but very breathable -- YES!!!) is a must, but keeping water from puddling in your seat is a boon!

I really like having the XII covered, when we are inside, and overnight. The XII attracts a lot of attention when we are riding it. No matter where we go with it, someone always looks at it, and/or asks about it. The cover shuts that down as they have no idea what kind of bike is hiding underneath. LOL! Cheers!
These users liked SgtSlag's post:
cushman eagle (Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:20 am)
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Tuna Man 62

Post by Tuna Man 62 »

Update on the Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover that I bought. I have gone out in the morning, uncovered the XII to find moisture underneath and on the bike. This is on more than a few occasions, with just the cool night air with no rain. After riding, I let it cool a bit before covering. If the remaining warmth of the engine and pipes are causing this then I'll have to change my ways or go with it. But if not, I feel that contacting Nelson-Rigg for help may be needed. I'm naturally disappointed with the situation so far.

Tuna Man
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 433 times
Been liked: 393 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Condensation will form under any cover. Are there vent holes in the cover? If not, seek another. Even with vent holes, there will occasionally be some moisture under the cover, depending upon weather conditions, temperature changes, etc.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road

Post by SgtSlag »

When we cover our bike, overnight, at a motel, we have had minor condensation moisture on the seats, in the morning. If the seat gets colder than the air surrounding it, moisture from the air will condense onto the cooler seat. That is hard science. We keep a few microfiber towels in the trunk, and the bags, to clean the windshield, and our helmet visors, with aerosol Pledge Lemon, as well as to dry off the seats when they do get wet.

Likely the air is warming up faster than the covered bike seats are, leading to water condensing on the seats. The cover prevents rain on the seats, but it also delays the Sun, and the air, from warming the seats up.

You can lay a microfiber towel over the seats, before you cover the bike. The towels might get damp, but the seats should be dry. You will likely need to clean your windshield, and maybe your helmet visor, before you begin riding, so the towels will be handy, but you'll still need to pull your aerosol Pledge to finish the job. Cheers!
:wnk2:
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”