Engine Covers

For general motorcycle related use, news, and observations.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Larry in Arkansas
Cruiser
Cruiser
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Engine Covers

Post by Larry in Arkansas »

My left side cover and clutch cover on my 2001 Voyager both have wear and corrosion. Has anyone stripped the paint and clear coat and polished? I can easily strip the clear coat and paint, but would be interested in how you polished or refinished afterward.
These users liked Larry in Arkansas's post:
GrandpaDenny (Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:54 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 548 times

Re: Engine Covers

Post by Nails »

For the crankshaft end covers, I finished peeling off the foil, filled in "Kawasaki" with Bondo, and painted them with truckbed-protector stuff. All I can tell you is that he foil is pretty stout and would probably tolerate a lot of polishing. I didn't see much evidence of clear coat.
--
Nails
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 431 times
Been liked: 393 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Nails wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:13 pm For the crankshaft end covers, I finished peeling off the foil, filled in "Kawasaki" with Bondo, and painted them with truckbed-protector stuff. All I can tell you is that he foil is pretty stout and would probably tolerate a lot of polishing. I didn't see much evidence of clear coat.
Nails, I think he's talking about the left side crankcase cover, the big aluminum piece, and the clutch cover on the right side. Both are clear-coated aluminum. Mine are the same (as are my forks) - long ago lost their shinynewness.

From what I've read (but haven't had the time/money/inclination to try yet) aircraft paint remover will take the clear coat off. Then you could use any metal polish - neverdull, brasso, whatever, to polish up the aluminum. I reckon steel wool would help too. I suppose you could sand off the clear coat, or use a mechanical stripper or wire brush, but I don't know how much that would mar up the aluminum covers. The more you scratch them up, the harder you'll have to work to get them scratch-free and shiny again. I've never had much luck with spray-on clear coats after painting, either, but the last time I did that was 40 years ago and paint technology has improved soooooooo much since then.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
Larry in Arkansas
Cruiser
Cruiser

I discovered it wasn't basecoat/clearcoat. Only clearcoat. Dry blasted with 70-100 glass media and then wet blasted. Really looks good. You'll have to take my word for it because I can't figure out how to post pictures. :-D
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Larry in Arkansas wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:38 pm I discovered it wasn't basecoat/clearcoat. Only clearcoat. Dry blasted with 70-100 glass media and then wet blasted. Really looks good. You'll have to take my word for it because I can't figure out how to post pictures. :-D
Oh, we're never gonna believe you without pix. Nope. Uh-uh, didn't happen. Don't believe you. No way. :LAngel

To post pictures, under the window you type your message in, you'll see a big green box with two tabs: Options and Attachments. Click on Attachments. Then click on Add Files and select the files on your computer you want to send.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
Larry in Arkansas
Cruiser
Cruiser

kw v 1.JPG
kw v 2.JPG
Scott-(Altoona, PA) (Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:18 pm)
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Definitely look cleaner, that's for sure. Any plans to polish and protect them?
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

As Grandpa said they certainly do look clean and uniform but for those of us who like that highly polished look I am posting 2 photos of a bevel gear cover I am working on. After the clear coat was removed I started with decreasing grits of sandpaper to remove the nicks and deep scratches. First was 400 and then ending with 7000 grit. This was followed by using the polish shown in the photos. It is available at Grainger's and most motorcycle dealers.
Note the remaining clear coat by the chrome air box cover mounting bolt location as this cover is not finished yet.
One can see the railing balustrades of my upstairs deck in one of the photos and a rare image of me in the other: hidden of course by the camera.
It is a lot of hand work but short of chroming the cover this is the best I could come up with.
This job is not for the weak or faint of heart but when one is retired one has lots of time to get surplus inventory ready for storage in the great hidden treasure vault of shiny spares, radiators and Markland items.
Dave
Attachments
003.JPG
004.JPG
These users liked triton28's post:
GrandpaDenny (Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:44 pm) • Larry in Arkansas (Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:42 pm)
Rating: 25%
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Ooooh, shiny!
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
Larry in Arkansas
Cruiser
Cruiser

GrandpaDenny wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:27 pm Definitely look cleaner, that's for sure. Any plans to polish and protect them?
I probably won't polish them. They somewhat blend in with the chrome covers and painted engine. The vapor blasting actually seals the aluminum somewhat. I have some older restorations that I vapor blasted 6 years ago, forks, engines, etc, and they still look good with no discoloration or corrosion.
GrandpaDenny (Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:48 pm)

Return to “General Chat”