Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Needing a beat-up windshield for experimenting

Post by Heavy Armor »

I'm interested in cutting down an old windshield to make a low Harley Whatever-Glide styled windscreen. Any condition will do so long as it's not broken 9" from the bottom.
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Has liked: 432 times
Been liked: 393 times

Re: Needing a beat-up windshield for experimenting

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Heavy Armor wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:29 pm I'm interested in cutting down an old windshield to make a low Harley Whatever-Glide styled windscreen. Any condition will do so long as it's not broken 9" from the bottom.
Something to consider before you cut down that far is that the Harley fairing is much taller. Unless you're just after looks, that is.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased
1993 Vulcan 88 "Emily"

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

VXII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 549 times

Post by Nails »

Mr. Jensee gave me a spare windshield on the condition that I cut it way down because it was so scratched up. I did, to 9", and then painted it black on the inside. I liked it a lot, especially when it's ridiculously hot out.
Untitled.jpg
But I switched from a crappy Bilt helmet to a nice Nolan, mostly because my hearing is going, going, gone. (Even as I'm going deaf, loud sounds hurt my head more. Ear plugs don't get it, dunno why.) The Nolan is quieter, but a lot quieter than that when out of the wind blast -- the cheap helmet was loud everywhere, all the time. I put back a 12" windshield, but it just made me want to duck my head a couple inches.
Untitled1.jpg
I currently have a new, huge windshield. When I get my bike back on the road, I'll cut it to something like 15" (need more testing), which should put me just out of the slipstream and smiling in my helmet -- even if it is stinkin' hot.

If you were anywhere nearby, I'd be happy to let you try my shorty. There's a good chance I'll "put the top down" again from time to time.
These users liked Nails's post:
Heavy Armor (Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:14 am)
Rating: 12.5%
--
Nails
Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Heavy Armor »

Nails wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:14 pm Mr. Jensee gave me a spare windshield on the condition that I cut it way down because it was so scratched up. I did, to 9", and then painted it black on the inside. I liked it a lot, especially when it's ridiculously hot out.

Untitled.jpg

That's EXACTLY what I had in mind! Thanks for the pic. :thmup:

Also, the white+black scheme looks really cool. I like what you did with the chrome and the headlight surround. Very sporty!
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 549 times

Post by Nails »

This is discussed elsewhere in here, but I want to mention again that the short windshield allows more laminar wind-flow: good, clean wind; less helmet jiggling. And pushing my head back a bit in the wind is what god intended in the first place.

I've also found that the XII's huge trunk contributes to rider turbulence. Some have reported cleaner air just by removing the rack and crap on the trunk lid.
Untitled.jpg
This setup works swell for me in hot weather -- setting aside personal issues with god-given noise that I might yet solve a different way. (Other threads already chatter about different earplugs.) I remain conflicted; and for summer trips of just 2000 miles or so (over a couple weeks) I might still go short. But for longer rides in potentially cold/wet weather, more coverage is nice ... and quieter ... and less tiring (even with some helmet jostling). I'm talking about lots of boring superslab, which is what the XII actually does best IMHO. On funner roads, the shorty screen wins hands down. (Better mass centralization is a whole nuther topic.)

For me, it might boil down to a short West screen (relatively nearby) and a tall East screen (lots of fly-over country). Honestly, I might just need another bike.
--
Nails

Return to “Parts Wanted”