rear shocks

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

leghorn1956
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 kawasaki voyager 1200
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

rear shocks

Post by leghorn1956 »

Good day folks. My right rear air shock sprung an oil leak. Is there a kit to rebuild or should I go new. As always , thanks in advance JP
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 544 times

Re: rear shocks

Post by Nails »

I don't think there's a rebuild option. Probably time to think "Progressive". Lots of threads about that on here.

I'll be bummed if mine start leaking. But others say you should plop on Progressives right away. Fortunately, you don't have to agonize over that.
--
Nails
Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Heavy Armor »

I got lucky and an pricey set of Icon rear shocks that I'd bought for another bike (that I decided to sell) just happened to fit perfectly on my XII.

Icon has top notch customer service. I've dealt with them on a few different occasions, and they basically interview you and your bike to see what product will meet your needs. Very hands-on.

Rears from a 1st gen Triumph America/Speedmaster are a direct swap. Exact same length and mounting hole diameter.
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): Temporarily none.
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Heavy Armor wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:59 am I got lucky and an pricey set of Icon rear shocks that I'd bought for another bike (that I decided to sell) just happened to fit perfectly on my XII.

Icon has top notch customer service. I've dealt with them on a few different occasions, and they basically interview you and your bike to see what product will meet your needs. Very hands-on.

Rears from a 1st gen Triumph America/Speedmaster are a direct swap. Exact same length and mounting hole diameter.
But are they the same weight capacity? The first generation Speedmaster was a much smaller bike (750cc). Let us know how they work out?
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

A word of caution...

I bought Progressives, proper type/fit for my XII. I bought Normal Duty Springs for them, even though neither my wife, nor I, are small people. We ride 2-up, 99% of the time. We blew out one shock, two months after I installed them...

I ordered a new set of the same shocks, this time with the Heavy Duty Springs. That was around 10 years ago, and they are still functioning normally.

Don't deceive yourself about how things, "should work." Be pragmatic. ;-) Or put a burning match to your wallet, like I did. :roll: Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Heavy Armor »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:10 pm
Heavy Armor wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:59 am I got lucky and an pricey set of Icon rear shocks that I'd bought for another bike (that I decided to sell) just happened to fit perfectly on my XII.

But are they the same weight capacity? The first generation Speedmaster was a much smaller bike (750cc). Let us know how they work out?
No, sorry, I phrased that poorly. I was just saying that they're the same physical dimensions. I was able to use the ones I bought on the Voyager because I had purchased heavy duty springs for a sidecar conversion with the Triumph that didn't work out. Stock Speedmaster springs would definitely not be up to handling the XII, they don't even work well for the Speedmaster. :lol: Sorry for the confusion.
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

Be careful when choosing other than stock or Progressive shocks for the rear of a Voyager XII as I seem to recall that there is an offset between the bottom and top mounts. This offset appears to exist on both sides, at least on my bike for sure.
The upper mount of the shocks I have is on the center line of the shock but the bottom is offset. I do not have the original Progressive Suspension Co. Ltd. installation literature but the Progressive suspension units I have , 4221 I believe, have this offset.
I thought this strange so I ran a straight edge up from the empty lower mount and sure enough on my bike there was an offset of about 3/16" or so. Further examination would zero this figure in but at present I don't have a rear sub frame area naked right now.
I'm sure that somewhere someone has probably installed this offset on the wrong side and the shocks would be performing less than adequately not being mounted vertically true and plumb, and would probably wear out considerably sooner than if installed correctly.
Then again I may be incorrect in my premise about this offset, but I checked both sides of the bike frame mounts with the straight edge and the in situ offset was indeed equal to the manufactured offset of the suspension units.
Can someone who may still have the Progressive installation instructions, or a memory of them, chime in here and straighten this out so to speak.
Dave
These users liked triton28's post:
GrandpaDenny (Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:02 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
leghorn1956
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by leghorn1956 »

Thanks folks for your input. New HD progressives from Amazon.com being delivered to Niagara falls. NY on the 19th. I could of had them shipped from amazon.ca to my home for $40 more with the exchange, but I would have to wait almost three extra weeks. Tuesday I drive 50 miles and cross the boarder, fill up , have a bite to eat and back home. That's it.
These users liked leghorn1956's post:
GrandpaDenny (Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:02 pm)
Rating: 12.5%
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

Leghorn 1956;
PM sent.
leghorn1956
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by leghorn1956 »

New progressives on and all looks good. The original shocks were slanted in towards the wheel with no offset. I'm looking forward to trying them out. There won't be anymore checking the pressure before a ride. As always thanks for all your insight. JP
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): Temporarily none.
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

I think you'll like them.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased