1991 XII replaced cable speedometer still not working (FIXED)

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

New2Voyagers
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1991 Voyager XII 47k miles
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0

1991 XII replaced cable speedometer still not working (FIXED)

Post by New2Voyagers »

Before I try to buy and throw a speedo gear on the front wheel is there anywhere else I should check on this bike? I'm new to the voyager series and was wondering maybe there's a fuse or relay for the speedo? The rest of the cluster works just not the speedo. What direction would yall go in from here?
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 544 times

Re: 1991 XII replaced cable speedometer still not working

Post by Nails »

Sounds like what you need t do is figure out what's wrong. But while you have it apart, you might want to have on hand a gear to throw in there. It's cheap.
--
Nails
SgtSlag
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1993 Voyager XII (2010)
(2006-2012: 1979 Honda CB750K)
(2008-2010: 1983 Kawasaki 440LTD, belt drive)
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by SgtSlag »

That gear is known to lose a tooth, which makes the Speedometer off, by something like 5 MPH. Nails is correct: figure out the source/cause of the problem before you throw parts at it.

If you do tear down the Speedometer housing, it would be a good time to replace the incandescent bulb (7,000 hour lifespan) with an appropriate LED replacement (20,000-50,000 hour lifespan).

If you have not replaced the majority of the incandescent bulbs with LED's, I heartily recommend it. This will free up a number of Amperes from the Charging System, to recharge your battery better, and it helps with operating accessories, as well: phone chargers; GPS systems; CB Radios; heated vests; etc. The OEM Charging System does not offer very many spare Amperes for accessories!

There are a few threads on this topic, already. :woohoo: Be sure to compare Lumen outputs between the specific incandescent bulbs you are replacing, and the LED replacements you choose: make sure the LED's Lumen output is equal to, or (preferably) higher! Use the search function to find the previous threads, for more information.

:idea: You will want to use LED's which are the same color as the lens cover they sit behind. :idea: White colored LED's will waste most of their Lumens by the non-lens colors being absorbed, or blocked, by the colored lenses: yellow LED's behind yellow lenses; red LED's behind red lenses... :idea: Also, be aware that red LED's in the instrument cluster (Speedo, Tach), will not impair your night vision, but other colors will. Cheers!
SgtSlag

1993 Voyager XII
New2Voyagers
Streetster
Streetster

Post by New2Voyagers »

Great thanks for the replies. I did some forum digging and found the order of checks should be as follows and correct me if I'm wrong;

Pull cable from wheel hub and hook a drill to the cable end to test if the speedo actually works (should the key be in the on position for this? Or does it work regardless of power to the cluster?) If it doesn't move the cluster is likely the culprit.

If the cluster works reinstall the cable to the wheel hub and remove the cable from the cluster. Then lift the front of the bike and spin the wheel to see if the cable spins. If the cable doesn't spin with the wheel then the wheel hub is the culprit.

Now if the wheel hub is bad it is my understanding that I can swap the whole hub unit for a ninja 600 with a 23t gear for better accuracy. Is this a true belief that the housing will swap or do I have to swap the inards into my housing to get this to work?
GrandpaDenny
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): Temporarily none.
Has liked: 430 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by GrandpaDenny »

Just get the thingie on the wheel. It's CHEAP and known to wear out. Don't do like I did and let a "mechanic" charge you fifty bucks to check it and say "oh yeah it's a little chewed up, but they get that way". Dumbass... I'd even given him the new one. If it looks at all worn or chewed up, just put in a new one.
Dennis Fariello
Philadelphia, PA
2000 Voyager XII "Gertrude" - deceased

South Jersey Retreads
Patriot Guard Riders
Warriors Watch Riders

Voyager XII Manuals:
https://amervoyassoc.org/zg1200manuals.php
New2Voyagers
Streetster
Streetster

Post by New2Voyagers »

GrandpaDenny wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:06 pm Just get the thingie on the wheel. It's CHEAP and known to wear out. Don't do like I did and let a "mechanic" charge you fifty bucks to check it and say "oh yeah it's a little chewed up, but they get that way". Dumbass... I'd even given him the new one. If it looks at all worn or chewed up, just put in a new one.
Yes that's what I was thinking, Is it true that there are several Kawasaki models that are direct bolt on? finding a new Voyager oem part is proving to be a bit difficult and expensive. I found a list of bikes that are "cross compatible" but my question is, is it just the gears that are cross compatible or is it the entire hub that will swap over?
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

With respect to the Ninja 600 of say 1997, it will be a direct, speedometer wheel hub gear case assembly interchange: take the old one off of a Voyager XII and install the complete 23 tooth ninja 600 assembly. Any year/model speedo wheel hub gear case assemblies having the same part # 41078-1062 will also interchange complete.
I have also gone the route of changing the 25 tooth Voyager XII gear in the original Voyager XII housing with a 23 tooth gear to correct the speedo error. The worst part was drilling the relief hole for the roll pin to be driven out through. See article in the Tech Center; Voyager XII concerning speedo error.
Dave
These users liked triton28's post:
Nails (Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:48 am)
Rating: 12.5%
New2Voyagers
Streetster
Streetster

Post by New2Voyagers »

triton28 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:39 am With respect to the Ninja 600 of say 1997, it will be a direct, speedometer wheel hub gear case assembly interchange: take the old one off of a Voyager XII and install the complete 23 tooth ninja 600 assembly. Any year/model speedo wheel hub gear case assemblies having the same part # 41078-1062 will also interchange complete.
I have also gone the route of changing the 25 tooth Voyager XII gear in the original Voyager XII housing with a 23 tooth gear to correct the speedo error. The worst part was drilling the relief hole for the roll pin to be driven out through. See article in the Tech Center; Voyager XII concerning speedo error.
Dave

Awesome thanks for the confrimation I am just going to order the whole housing and bypass the drilling part :bowdn:
Nails
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): '97 XII
'00 XT350
'85 KLR 250
'82 Silverwing Sushiguzzi
Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 544 times

Post by Nails »

triton28 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:39 amI have also gone the route of changing the 25 tooth Voyager XII gear in the original Voyager XII housing with a 23 tooth gear to correct the speedo error. The worst part was drilling the relief hole for the roll pin to be driven out through. See article in the Tech Center; Voyager XII concerning speedo error.
Dave
Thanks for putting in the effort to wrap your head around this little job, just to write a comment. Like the specific number of teeth -- a detail my lizard brain certainly let slip. Another thing ... drilling out that little hole was so trivial that I completely forgot about it, too.

I'm too lazy and just think that it's all discoverable in here.
--
Nails
New2Voyagers
Streetster
Streetster

Post by New2Voyagers »

https://www.amervoyassoc.org/forum/view ... &hilit=23t

CHECK THIS POST OUT^^^^For anyone having a similar issue

I did a little digging and found the post that cross references all the Kawasaki models that will have a working gear and housing assembly for the XII. I ended up finding a 2007 250r hub assembly on eBay that I offered the guy 10$ for and he accepted. I will update how well this works out once I receive the item.
New2Voyagers
Streetster
Streetster

Post by New2Voyagers »

https://www.amervoyassoc.org/forum/view ... &hilit=23t

CHECK THIS POST OUT^^^^For anyone having a similar issue

I did a little digging and found the post that cross references all the Kawasaki models that will have a working gear and housing assembly for the XII. I ended up finding a 2007 250r hub assembly on eBay that I offered the guy 10$ for and he accepted. I will update how well this works out once I receive the item.

Problem SOLVED

The speedometer gear assembly was wrecked, turns out The speedometer receiver housing was also wrecked. So I ordered a NOS receiver from eBay for about 18$ and a used 2007 Ninja 250 Speedo gear for 10$. Replaced the cable for good measure but kept the old as a spare. works like a charm.
triton28
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 1987 ZG-1200 B1
1987 ZG-1200 B1
1990 ZG-1200 B4
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by triton28 »

Nice to see when a problem gets resolved.
New2Voyagers
Streetster
Streetster

Post by New2Voyagers »

I agree! I couldn't have done it without everyone here's collective knowledge. I am so glad I stumbled across this forum and all the willing to help people that are involved. You guys are the best!

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”