XII Rear Wheel Removal: Easier than it sounds!

Got a tech tip for Voyager 12's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Heavy Armor
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 15 times

XII Rear Wheel Removal: Easier than it sounds!

Post by Heavy Armor »

I'm just leaving this here for anyone that might stumble across it via Internet search and need the encouragement. Removing the rear wheel on the XII is actually a piece of cake. I pulled mine off for the first time just a few minutes ago, and it's WAY easier than the writeups made it sound. Once you're in it and see how everything fits together, it's no issue at all, and actually a pretty quick process despite all the hardware that comes off.

Just a few tips for fellow noobs:
1.) Make sure you have a 27mm socket on hand for the castle nut before you get started. I couldn't seem to find that specific info anywhere... maybe I just overlooked it. I had to make a run to Harbor Freight to pick one up in the middle of the job. It's too recessed to get a wrench on it.

2.) The rear brake caliper is held in place by the axle itself and a big bolt directly in front of the axle that runs through the swingarm. That's the "brake bolt" mentioned in the writeup. I mistakenly started loosening the caliper bolts before I realized that wouldn't help. :lol: You'll also need a socket for this, as it's also recessed into the swingarm.

That's it! Good luck.
These users liked Heavy Armor's post:
cushman eagle (Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:18 am) • GrandpaDenny (Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:02 pm) • Scott-(Altoona, PA) (Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:45 pm)
Rating: 37.5%

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”