Trailer Issues/suggestions

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Bill O
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1994 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager
2003 1200 Voyager TriKing Trike
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Trailer Issues/suggestions

Post by Bill O »

It has been entirerly too long since we have indulged in some trailer trash talk. So, I figured I'd stir the pot!

Some of you know me, and know I indulge in trailer refurbishing and re/construction. I have two tent trailers and 5 cargo trailer. (The original plan I had was to refurbish and sell them, but they've become, like, my children!) I really enjoy traveling with my Aspen Classic Tent trailer but have not had the opportunity to use it for quite some time. My most recent trip was accomplished using a Rivco Hitch rack w/ an accompanying Rivco Rack Duffel Bag. (Kind of like a mini-trailer /without any wheels). We then entertained ourselves at convenient motels. It was really a great trip. But I did miss my camper.

Well, it's now winter time! (Even in Las Vegas)! So, let's us trailer dudes use this time to rehash Trailer towing protocol, what to pack in our trailers (for both Cargo and Camping trailers), and some of the tricks and lessons learned some of us can pass on to new trailer wanna-bee's.

I also know that the discussions on constructing your own trailers has been touched on before, but over time, we learn new tricks for making that better mouse trap. We need to share! I know many of you who have built your own trailers...... Have we had any articles detailing the procedures in the VV?

So, how about it? Let's start some traffic flowing here for the winter time... a few possible suggestions......

What is the most weird thing you have packed in your trailer? ( we will exclude Barg's Red Creme soda, for now!)
What is the most important thing you didn't pack in your trailer?
What did you finally toss out of your trailer?
How many color TV's do you actually carry with you!!!!!
Do you prefer to "Cargo or Camper" trailer it?
Do you pack to be self sufficient/sustaining (eat, sleep, entertain at camp) or do you trailer to and from motels/restaurants!

You get the idea!

Then, let's get some pictures flowing here! Let's see your bike/trailer rig's, your camping site setup's, and just everyday, normal, Tom Foolery.

Voyagers who trailer are just another class of riders who have stories to tell and experiences that others can learn from.

Bill
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
1994 Voyager
2003 Voyager
2003 Voyager TriKing Trike

Nevada Patriot Guard Rider
Dion
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2006 Goldwing 1800 1989 Honda Pacific Coast 800
Been liked: 0

Re: Trailer Issues/suggestions

Post by Dion »

Trailers I have two one is home made used a harbor freight trailer frame. And some plywood 16 high sides 40inchs across 60inchs long and has a lid. I have used this trailer to haul camping gear golf clubs moped avt. riding lawn mower and what ever I can get in it. Other trailer is an 1989 Bunkhouse only have had this trailer one full season now but nice sleeping off the ground. Will be looking for a newer one in the next couple of years one with the changing room.
President Wisconsin Badgerland Voyagers member Illinois Prairie Voyagers, American Voyager Association Bikes 2006 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing / 89 Honda PC. 800 In God We Trust
Pure Pork
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1985 Voyager 1300
1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic
1989 Vulcan 88 1500a
1956 Harley FLH 1200
2 1978 Yam XS650 Specials

Post by Pure Pork »

We have a Harbor Freight type trailer that we put a Sears cartop pod onto
1985 Beast
MTN99
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by MTN99 »

Bill O wrote:It has been entirerly too long since we have indulged in some trailer trash talk. So, I figured I'd stir the pot!

Some of you know me, and know I indulge in trailer refurbishing and re/construction. I have two tent trailers and 5 cargo trailer. (The original plan I had was to refurbish and sell them, but they've become, like, my children!) I really enjoy traveling with my Aspen Classic Tent trailer but have not had the opportunity to use it for quite some time. My most recent trip was accomplished using a Rivco Hitch rack w/ an accompanying Rivco Rack Duffel Bag. (Kind of like a mini-trailer /without any wheels). We then entertained ourselves at convenient motels. It was really a great trip. But I did miss my camper.

Well, it's now winter time! (Even in Las Vegas)! So, let's us trailer dudes use this time to rehash Trailer towing protocol, what to pack in our trailers (for both Cargo and Camping trailers), and some of the tricks and lessons learned some of us can pass on to new trailer wanna-bee's.

Do you prefer to "Cargo or Camper" trailer it?
Do you pack to be self sufficient/sustaining (eat, sleep, entertain at camp) or do you trailer to and from motels/restaurants!

You get the idea!

Then, let's get some pictures flowing here! Let's see your bike/trailer rig's, your camping site setup's, and just everyday, normal, Tom Foolery.

Voyagers who trailer are just another class of riders who have stories to tell and experiences that others can learn from.

Bill
OK Bill, (or should we rename you "Wagonmaster") :wnk2:

You stirred it, :gig: how 'bout puttin some of your pics up to start?
Ever get the teardrop done ? :hmm:

And as soon as I can figure out how to post pics I'll post some of our PiggyBacker, Loaded, unloaded & on the road.

We keep our Piggy loaded, 10x12 tent, 2 burner stove, pots & pans, lantern, 2 folding camp chairs, 2 sleeping bags, & most important Queen size air matress :thmup: and theres still room to pack clothes and pillows & a few other items.... So this way If we take a notion ... we're ready to go....
Now Retired

Ride Safe & Remember.... ATGATT
Tony & Gail
Grass Valley Ca.
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

Directions are at the top of any forum topic list on how to post pictures.
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
Dion
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2006 Goldwing 1800 1989 Honda Pacific Coast 800

Post by Dion »

Link below is a picture of the trailer I uses back in 2004 pulled behind my 87 Voyager http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg21 ... 000017.jpg Still have this trailer too we used this one up till last spring for camping. Hauled all our stuff in it tent sleeping bags air matress chairs ect... then bought an older Bunkhouse use it till we can buy a newer one some day. http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg21 ... 0_0337.jpg Bunkhouse with add a room we put on ourself http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg21 ... 0_0658.jpg
President Wisconsin Badgerland Voyagers member Illinois Prairie Voyagers, American Voyager Association Bikes 2006 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing / 89 Honda PC. 800 In God We Trust
BudLight

Post by BudLight »

I am new to trailering with the Voyager. After reviewing all options, I decided on the PiggyBacker. I suspect I made a mistake in getting the 12" wheels instead of the 8" as my hitch isn't high enough on either my Voyager nor my Jetta. I have had to buy another hitch and ball for the Jetta and re-configure the one for the Voyager to make it higher. I have not done the 5 wire to 4 wire conversion yet for the Voyager. I will tackle that next. My wife and I like to camp, so I think this will be great for us. I have a couple of months to think about all this as it is winter here in Colorado.
-Bud
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 220 times

Post by Me Again »

I am new to trailering with the Voyager.
It will not be long before you don't have room for all the important stuff.
MTN99
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by MTN99 »

Bud,

Give Tom or Belinda At PiggyBacker a call.
Explain your problem and see if there is any difference with running 8" on the 12" torsion set up. or if you could swap the torsion axle for the leaf spring one. I believe both the STD & XL both use the same frame & fenders... (I know the tub & top are the same) at any rate I'll bet you Breakfast they will make things right for you. :wnk2:
When I ordered ours, (8"wheels) I just asked if the longer tongue on the XL would fit the STD... Tom said yes and asked if I'd like it, said sure... they shipped me the longer length one at no extra charge. I had a couple of questions while putting it together, gave'em a call the Friday I got it (forgot the time diff :roll: ) and one of there employees stayed after quitting time to answer them. Couple of days later they called me to see if I got things straightened out. :thmup:
Great customer service...

Let us know how things go.. and I can try to answer any questions or give any info I have on the Piggy.... or PM me if you want ....
:pig:
Now Retired

Tony & Gail
Grass Valley Ca.
BudLight

Post by BudLight »

Thanks Tony! I will give them a call if I have any concerns on this. I am looking forward to taking it on its maiden voyage this spring.
-Bud
Charlie from Illinois

Post by Charlie from Illinois »

Tony, why would you want the longer tongue? I am going to order a piggybacker and was wondering :hmm:
MTN99
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by MTN99 »

Charlie,

After typing you out a long post ( I guess it was too long it dissapeared :-x ) I'll make this one shorter... :-|

The reason I went with the longer length is I'm going to make up another platform/basket to go between the cooler rack & the tub to put our folding camp chairs on. (The kind that go into a stuff bag) not that much weight but they take up room. Also if we take longer trips in country that has questionable gas stops, I made up a can carrier that will take up that space for a couple of gallons of fuel instead of the chairs. Did the math & the extra 5" worked out.

We went with the less expensive Leaf spring set up since all of the other forums have 'bout the same opinion on Torsion vs Leaf as there are Oil or Tire debates. (not to mention that I'm Thrifty (CHEEP :lol: ) also this was our first trailer and if we did'nt like it.... not a big loss as if we spent $$$$$ on some of the other ones out there.

We took a 2000ml trip into Oregon & Washington last Sept & the trailer was GREAT. Handled 75mph on I-5, the Twisties of Hwy101 & 1 without a problem. I could ride almost like normal. I will not say you don't know it's not there but darn close. You do have to be mindfull of leaving greater stopping distance as the added weight adds momentum..... and as for the width it's not much wider than the side bags. But You do need to be mindfull of how you enter curves (Right Chris :wnk2: )

Great Trailer, Good folks to do business with.
:pig:
I'd be happy to answer any more ???s you or anyone has, Post 'em here or you can give me a ring. We're in the members section.

I also PM'ed ya.

See ya on the road some day....
Now Retired

Tony & Gail
Grass Valley Ca.
Charlie from Illinois

Thanks Tony. You answered my questions.
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

Charlie, think of the tongue like the tail on a kite: the longer the tail, the more stable the kite.

MTN99 wrote:But You do need to be mindfull of how you enter curves (Right Chris :wnk2: )
Darn tootin!
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

BudLight wrote:....my hitch isn't high enough on either my Voyager nor my Jetta. I have had to buy another hitch and ball for the Jetta and re-configure the one for the Voyager to make it higher. Bud
Hiyah Bud! I was wondering if you were still around. Hadn't seen you on the boards in a while.

With the trailer, you could always have the end of the tongue modified so it kicks down a couple inches, either by having another piece of similar tongue material stacked underneath and then mounting the coupler to that piece, or by "Z"ing the tongue.

Depending on the hubs, maybe you could just get some 8" wheels?
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
BudLight

Post by BudLight »

Hiyah Bud! I was wondering if you were still around. Hadn't seen you on the boards in a while.
Hey Chris. I have been relatively quiet, but I still ride my Voyager and look forward to going to Santa Fe this summer for the rally. Following you and your wife through Colorado on the way to Durango inspired me to go ahead and get the trailer. I will figure out the 5-wire to 4-wire conversion sometime over the next 2 months, then start doing some overnight camp trips.
See you in Santa Fe.
-Bud
MTN99
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by MTN99 »

Bill O wrote:It has been entirerly too long since we have indulged in some trailer trash talk. So, I figured I'd stir the pot!
So, how about it? Let's start some traffic flowing here for the winter time... a few possible suggestions......

What is the most weird thing you have packed in your trailer? ( we will exclude Barg's Red Creme soda, for now!)
So far it has to be 4 bags of potting soil, 1 bag of steer compost, & 2 flats of garden flowers, & a 12 pack of Barqs Root Beer (I didn't say Red Creme ) all in the same trip.
Bill O wrote:What is the most important thing you didn't pack in your trailer?
Almost left pillows, but we only had to go back a mile or two...
Bill O wrote:What did you finally toss out of your trailer?
Our cat that was sleeping on my spare coat one afternoon. (I had left the Piggy open that morning after a trip to the store.) :tired:
Bill O wrote:How many color TV's do you actually carry with you!!!!!
TV's....Sorry Bill, Big 0 on that. a TV is the last thing I want when we camp.
Bill O wrote:Do you prefer to "Cargo or Camper" trailer it?
Has to be Cargo, since we haven't had the chance to use a Pop-up yet.. (Notice I said YET) :wnk2:
Bill O wrote:Do you pack to be self sufficient/sustaining (eat, sleep, entertain at camp) or do you trailer to and from motels/restaurants!
We try to be as self contained as possible & comfy, but on our last trip we stopped at more motels than camp sites.. :hpdc:
Bill O wrote:You get the idea!

Bill
Thats it.... Any one else?

BTW,... Bill who's this Tom Foolery person :gig:
Now Retired

Tony & Gail
Grass Valley Ca.
Charlie from Illinois

I think he is the Governor of Illinois! :gig: oh my,
MTN99
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by MTN99 »

Hey Charlie,

Order the Piggy yet? :pig:
Now Retired

Tony & Gail
Grass Valley Ca.
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

Charlie from Illinois wrote:I think he is the Governor of Illinois! :gig: oh my,
No, no he was high bidder for the Senate job that Illinois' Gov has on eBay !
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”