new rides

Visited a nice place? Taken a great ride? Wonder where to go on your next ride? Check it out here!

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

tbrooks56
Streetster
Streetster
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

new rides

Post by tbrooks56 »

I live in upstate NY. Iam trying to plan out next years rides and looking for alittle help. Something that we can do in a week. I guess any points of interest motorcycle museums races nature sight.
when you have 3 or 4 guys with you you need alittle of everything to keep them interested. Any suggestion out there????
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Re: new rides

Post by Mr Jensee »

I like doing that as well, unfortunately I am 2000 miles from where you are. Now that I have a comfortable touring bike I want to make a trip to the Barber Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham, Al this year. I've put it off so long now.... :thk:
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
Nathan (South Carolina)
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Nathan (South Carolina) »

Mr Jensee wrote:I like doing that as well, unfortunately I am 2000 miles from where you are. Now that I have a comfortable touring bike I want to make a trip to the Barber Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham, Al this year. I've put it off so long now.... :thk:
:thmup: Go for it, you will enjoy the ride.
Lone Eagle
2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Nathan (South Carolina)
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Nathan (South Carolina) »

tbrooks56 wrote:I live in upstate NY. Iam trying to plan out next years rides and looking for alittle help. Something that we can do in a week. I guess any points of interest motorcycle museums races nature sight.
when you have 3 or 4 guys with you you need alittle of everything to keep them interested. Any suggestion out there????
You may want to check out this Rider Magazine link for some ideas.
http://www.ridermagazine.com/more.cfm?sectionid=481
Lone Eagle
2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

Mr Jensee wrote:I like doing that as well, unfortunately I am 2000 miles from where you are. Now that I have a comfortable touring bike I want to make a trip to the Barber Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham, Al this year. I've put it off so long now.... :thk:
Plan to spend some time in that museum. The number of bikes is amazing! They have so many that they have to rotate what they put out on the floor every once in a while.
tbrooks56 wrote:I live in upstate NY. Iam trying to plan out next years rides and looking for alittle help. Something that we can do in a week. I guess any points of interest motorcycle museums races nature sight.
Are you planning on riding interstates? two lanes? prefer twisty roads? How many miles? A ride around the great lakes in Canada would be nice. I really liked the 10,000 Islands area.CLICK HERE The lake Champlain area is really cool CLICK HERE, and of course riding Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway is something every rider should do. Click Here If you make it down to Maggie Valley there is an American motorcycle museum. Click Here
2010 Voyager 1700
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

David (N. Alabama) wrote:If you make it down to Maggie Valley there is an American motorcycle museum.
There's also a really good BBQ joint. Butts on the Creek. Told a guy at work about it and his brother in-law was planning on a trip to Maggie Valley, so, they went. He very was thankful for the tip. I want to go back and this time visit the museum AND eat the BBQ, instead of just eating the BBQ. Course, eating the BBQ is worth the trip, LOL.

map link and pic
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
oldyaler

Post by oldyaler »

David (N. Alabama) wrote:
Plan to spend some time in that museum. The number of bikes is amazing! They have so many that they have to rotate what they put out on the floor every once in a while.
Are you planning on riding interstates? two lanes? prefer twisty roads? How many miles? A ride around the great lakes in Canada would be nice. I really liked the 10,000 Islands area.CLICK HERE The lake Champlain area is really cool CLICK HERE, and of course riding Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway is something every rider should do. Click Here If you make it down to Maggie Valley there is an American motorcycle museum. Click Here
As of Dec. 1 2008 the Wheels through time Museum is closed for good,(some kind of beef between the owner and the city I heard).
tbrooks56
Streetster
Streetster

Post by tbrooks56 »

thanks for all the suggestions. they all sound great. hope to make some new plans with the rest of the guys soon. The riding season will be here soon. As I look out my window at a foot of snow.Four or five more weeks and spring will be here.HA! HA!
pasam
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 2002 Voyager XII

Post by pasam »

Wheels Through Time Museum was reporting to moving to Arizona somewhere around Flag Staff. I don't know if his plans have changed since my visit last summer.
Pasam
02 Voyager
Grumpy
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Grumpy »

If you're not opposed to riding west, I'm surprised no one's mentioned the AMA's Vintage Motorcycle Days, and the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame - both in mid-Ohio - for you to put on your calendar. the Museum is year 'round, V.M.D. is in late July, this year, I believe on the weekend of the 25th. - We (OH chapter) went to it last year & had a ball, and will try to get a group together this year.

Bob
" He who never made a mistake never made a discovery." ~ Samuel Smiles

'03 Voyager XII; '82 V45 Magna (that i hope will run again)
Raven

Post by Raven »

If you were coming out west I would be glad to give you some ideas, unfortunately I don't remember much about the Midwest or east...but any ava member coming out this way I will be glad to give you some tips on good roads and site's.....Raven
Furchin
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Furchin »

Grumpy wrote:If you're not opposed to riding west, I'm surprised no one's mentioned the AMA's Vintage Motorcycle Days, and the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame - both in mid-Ohio - for you to put on your calendar. the Museum is year 'round, V.M.D. is in late July, this year, I believe on the weekend of the 25th. - We (OH chapter) went to it last year & had a ball, and will try to get a group together this year.

Bob
Hey Grumpy, I'll be there at the ama vintage bike days. I belong to another group and will be with them. If you get a chance find ZL-OA Kawasaki Eliminators. Don't know where we'll be located this year but in years past we've been real close to the vintage auction tent.
'87 Kawasaki Zl600 Eliminator-Red
'87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator-Black
'87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator-Pearl White
'87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator-Red
'96 Kawasaki Voyager
nomaddad
Current bike(s): 1998 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Post by nomaddad »

Consider the finger lakes in NY, some great roads, views, and parks. If you like wine you'll be in paradise. Take the shuttles though, NO DUI's, not to mention keeping it upright. We were there last fall beautifull.

I would be interested in the OHIO trips we have some friends in Akron we go to see fairly regularly. Love a link or some other info.
Paul from PA
1998 / Voyager 1200 always ready to ride.
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

The year my Voyager was born (2001) that summer we took the kids on a week long adventure along the Seaway Trail. Started in Ohio and finished above the NY 1,000 Islands district/region. Boldt Castle is a great stop for anyone, lots of history and lure!
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
Grumpy
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Grumpy »

Furchin - That's great. I'll be looking for you at VMD, and for other AVA-ers! We had a great time last year, and are looking forward to this one.... besides, it'll help us recover from SantaFe withdrawl (just two weeks earlier). Here's the link for this year's VMD: http://www.amadirectlink.com/vmd/2009/
:hmm:
AND - I see you're in PA - welllllll, several our our ever so loosely organized group are talking about having a ride-in on some weekend to be decided, at a 'midpoint' somewhere.. OK, watch for another post in this section.. the ride will have to be in western Pa, or points south to N.W. WV. Any suggestions????? :thk: I'm hoping to find a location that those of us farther away (me) can "pretty much get to" Friday night, then enjoy a great Saturday ride with everyone, a nice dinner, and either ride home, or sleep over & ride home on Sunday....

Furchin
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Furchin »

Grumpy, find this trailer and you have found me at VMD

'96 Kawasaki Voyager
Inglenook23

Post by Inglenook23 »

For any of you heading to the Barber Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham there is a new Bass Pro Shop that opened last November next door. If you head this way let us know we live one exit away and would love to meet other voyager owners. We never see any other voyagers down this way.
Jody & Carol
Grumpy
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Grumpy »

"10-4" Furchin. 'Looks like that's big enough to have eating & sleeping accomodations! Will that be parked in the campground, the swap meet area, or ??
bob

Furchin
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Furchin »

Grumpy, My club ZL-OA will have its own spot and my trailer will be parked there. The trailer is for hauling my Kawasaki Eliminators to the show. I imagine that with a little restoration the trailer could be converted to allow sleeping and whatever else is needed but then I would have no way to haul my bikes to the show. As stated earlier our location at the fairgrounds the past two years has been just behind the vintage auction tent about 100 yards or so and I would assume that we'll be in the same location this year.
'96 Kawasaki Voyager
Grumpy
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Grumpy »

If not sooner, I'll be up on Saturday and looking for ya'. Were you there last year /did you join the ROK dinner (pizza) ride? I don't recall meeting other AVA-ers (Keith from Cleveland, and Ronnie from Newark brought that ride home... it's a long story).

Return to “Travel Reports, Ideas, Questions, Suggestions”