trailer wiring

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Charlie from Illinois
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

trailer wiring

Post by Charlie from Illinois »

I am changing the rear tire and while I have things off I am going to wire in for the trailer. What is the best way to tap into the wiring under the trunk? I have cut away the insulation before on stuff and then soldered on an extra wire. I didn't know if this was the best way for wiring in the trailer plug or not? :hmm:
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Re: trailer wiring

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

You got it! Solder, then tape or heat shrink the connection. I put in a connector so that I could disconnect the wiring if needed.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

If using shrink tubing, remember to put a piece on the wire :gig: before you twist them together!
I suggest fanning out the wires and intertwining them rather than just a simple twist. They can corrode and give intermittent connection if not cleaned properly. :dm: I have more than once split a connection to strip it back and redo it because someone else just casually gave a half hearted twist and wrapped with tape. Moisture and corrosion will drive you crazy :tho: , so give it one more minute of time when doing it so you don't need to invest hours troubleshoting a year down the road!
:thmup:
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
MTN99
Cruiser
Cruiser
Been liked: 0

Post by MTN99 »

Charlie,

Did the same as Chris, soldered & used another connection so if I needed to disconnect the wiring to remove the rear fender for whatever reason I could.

Used a Hoppy 5-4 kit. it came with a long length of 4color wiring & plug. Got mine at our local NAPA dealer, P/N 48845.
VERY important..... Make sure you secure the wiring out of the way of any moving objects... (Like a tire) :oops: Tape or zip-tye it so it stays put.
Itza little embarassing after you spend 1/2 hour or so cleaning connections, checking bulbs, fuses and ??? just to find out the wiring got just a little too close to the tire.

Not that anything like that ever happened to me........ :bat:
Now Retired

Ride Safe & Remember.... ATGATT
Tony & Gail
Grass Valley Ca.

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”