Bicycle Flag

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

BudLight
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Bicycle Flag

Post by BudLight »

I just installed a bicycle flag (orange) with a 4' thin fiberglass pole behind my Piggy Backer. I was looking to get a little bit higher visibility. It works great around town, but I am a little reluctant to hit the highway speeds with it as it seems to whip around a lot at 40-45 MPH. Does anyone else have one attached to their trailer? Any concerns at higher speeds? I remember following Chris through the mountains in Colorado in route to Durango a few years ago. He had one attached to his trailer and it seemed to work real well.
-Bud
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Re: Bicycle Flag

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

how about putting two posts on the two rear corners of the trailer and then putting some of that Hi Vis orange netting across it?

Or maybe an acrylic dome or pyramid in a high viz color.

Or do what some of the boat trailer folks do and mount the rear lights on 3 foot poles to put them up in the tail gators view.
2010 Voyager 1700
BudLight

Post by BudLight »

Thanks for the ideas. I will post some pictures soon as to what I have done.
-Bud
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

Bud, no flag on my trailer. I'll see if I can dig up a picture taken out the back at you and John Ramsey from that trip.

I had thought about one of those end of the driveway markers with the round reflector, or with a little peanut light bulb on top, something just high enough to see in the bottom of my mirrors, but never got around to it. Haven't pulled the new trailer yet to know how much, if any, it is visible in the mirrors.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
BudLight

Post by BudLight »

DOH! Chris, all this time I thought you had a flag on the back of your trailer. I must have dreamed it.
BTW, I have the trailer loaded pretty much with all my camp gear and have taken it out a few times to get used to it. Generally, I don't even notice it. Today, I had to do an emergency stop in traffic. I did notice that the bike didn't stop as fast and was a little squirrelly when I locked the brakes. I learned to just be a little more cautious when pulling the trailer.
-Bud
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

Think ahead, plan ahead, don't lose your head. If the trailer tongue is pointing up, under braking it can push the back end of the bike up/around. You want the tongue as level as possible.

One of the best views in the United States I've ever had the pleasure of seeing in person, and seeing it with the wife and a couple of Voyager buddies made it that much more special:

"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”