Voyager 1300 Overheating Fix

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Planeoldguy
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Planeoldguy »

Last weekend was a relative scorcher in the northeast for late April. Temps were over 90 degrees for several days, with highs usually in the high 60s to low 70s normal for this time of year. :thmup:

I took my 1300 Voyager up into Vermont for a nice Saturday ride and noticed the bike was running a bit hotter than normal. While in stop-and-go traffic, it actually turned on the overheat warning light on the dash a couple times. The bike has always run on the warm side, but it seemed to be running consistently one bar higher on the gauge than it did last year. It was time to address the problem before the summer heat really hit us. :dm:

After checking for the usual things, proper coolant level and no air in the system, I tried removing the radiator grille to see what effect that would have, but there was no noticeable change. I decided removing the thermostat would allow constant coolant flow through the radiator, and eliminate the restriction in the system.

I drained and removed the radiator, removed the water pump impeller cover and bypass tube, then removed the thermostat housing and thermostat. While I had it out, I checked the operation of the thermostat and found it to be opening at a little higher temp than the manual called out (78-86 degrees C). I took the thermostat and spring and threw them in the spare parts box. Done. But I had one more issue to address.

The 1300 has a bypass tube that allows coolant to bypass back to the engine when the thermostat is closed. The thermostat also has a feature on it that when the thermostat opens, there is a valve that blocks of the bypass tube, allowing all coolant to be routed through the radiator for cooling. Removing the thermostat allows coolant to constantly bypass the radiator, degrading the cooling. My solution was to insert a simple disc made of stainless steel, cut from a piece of .025” sheet, just above the bypass tube into the thermostat housing. The disc is “captured” in between the tube and the housing, and will completely block off all bypass flow. The result is that 100% of the coolant is routed to the radiator, with no restrictions.

I re-assembled the bike, refilled the radiator and took it for a ride. The bike now consistently runs 2 bars cooler on the gauge, and the cooling fan only comes on now when stuck in traffic. There is no noticeable difference in how the bike runs when cold. I am planning to take a trip out to Colorado this summer, and was concerned about how the bike would handle the trip across the plains in the heat of the summer. I believe this will prevent any temperature issues on the 1300 Voyager.
Karl
sir old dirt
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): Honda Goldwing 2013
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Voyager 1300 Overheating Fix

Post by sir old dirt »

You may want to consider taking the 1300 out of "cruise" when starting to climb those mountains in Colorado. The "cruise" mode actually leans out the fuel when engaged. With "cruise" off the engine will not be leaned and should run cooler because of the disengagement.
Hopefully, when you had the radiator off and the thermostat out you checked the impeller on the water pump. The impeller is held in place with a spring clip. Several years ago my 1300 suffered serious heating because the spring clip had worn out and would no longer keep the impeller engaged on the axel. The axel has a flat area that matches the impeller and the impeller is held in place by the clip. I replaced the clip and all was fine.
Sir Old Dirt
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

There are also several items to check for overheating problems in the AVA Tech Center under the Voyager 1300/Engine section.
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
Planeoldguy

Post by Planeoldguy »

sir old dirt wrote:You may want to consider taking the 1300 out of "cruise" when starting to climb those mountains in Colorado. The "cruise" mode actually leans out the fuel when engaged. With "cruise" off the engine will not be leaned and should run cooler because of the disengagement.
Hopefully, when you had the radiator off and the thermostat out you checked the impeller on the water pump. The impeller is held in place with a spring clip. Several years ago my 1300 suffered serious heating because the spring clip had worn out and would no longer keep the impeller engaged on the axel. The axel has a flat area that matches the impeller and the impeller is held in place by the clip. I replaced the clip and all was fine.
I never use the 'cruise' mode on my voyager. I'd rather get a few less MPGs than have it run hot. I did check the impeller when I had the radiator and housing off, all looked good.
Karl
Planeoldguy

Post by Planeoldguy »

Gary (Forum Admin) wrote:There are also several items to check for overheating problems in the AVA Tech Center under the Voyager 1300/Engine section.
I tried most of the items in the voyager tech tips. I had thought about adding the spacer on the thermostat, but decided to remove it completely. Seems to have made a big difference.
Karl
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 223 times

Post by Me Again »

I don't think its ever a real good idea to run without a thermostat. Thats kind of a short term summer only fix.
As long as the thermostat is in the parts box ,maybe you could take it to a parts place and find one that opens at a lower temp.
Then you could let us all know so we can cool our beasts down a little .
:cold: :hot:
Pure Pork
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1985 Voyager 1300
1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic
1989 Vulcan 88 1500a
1956 Harley FLH 1200
2 1978 Yam XS650 Specials

Post by Pure Pork »

Me Again wrote:I don't think its ever a real good idea to run without a thermostat. Thats kind of a short term summer only fix.
As long as the thermostat is in the parts box ,maybe you could take it to a parts place and find one that opens at a lower temp.
I agree with the fact that you should have a working thermostat. It keeps the engine closer to the intended operating temperature and should run more efficiently.
1985 Beast
onegunguitar
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by onegunguitar »

Pure Pork wrote:
Me Again wrote:I don't think its ever a real good idea to run without a thermostat. Thats kind of a short term summer only fix.
I agree with the fact that you should have a working thermostat. It keeps the engine closer to the intended operating temperature and should run more efficiently.
I agree as well,the engine on these run hot and a hot engine is an efficient engine. Removing the thermostat doesn't let your coolant stay in the radiator long enough too cool down-I wouldn't be afraid to say on a long uphill pull or alot of idle time in traffic an engine will overheat. I did the thermostat bypass valve repair trick some other guys have done with shimming the thermostat to close off the bypass pipe sooner/better,that helped. I also thinned out my antifreeze mixture from 50/50 to about 80/20 for summer(80 water,20 antifreeze) and that seemed to help a good bit,when it hits the number 7 bar,it doesn't usually stay there long and it seems to be running between 5 and 6 bars most of the time. Antifreeze takes alot more time to cool than water does.
1999 Voyager XII
Planeoldguy

Post by Planeoldguy »

I agree as well,the engine on these run hot and a hot engine is an efficient engine. Removing the thermostat doesn't let your coolant stay in the radiator long enough too cool down
Sorry, I disagree. I don't think the purpose of the thermostat is to allow coolant to stay in the radiator longer, it is to allow hot coolant to circulate from the engine when hot and through the radiator to cool. A thermostat only keeps coolant in the radiator longer when its closed, when the coolant doesn't need cooling.

A hot engine is not necessarily an efficient engine. An engine operating at optimum temperature is more efficient than a hot engine. An engine running too hot can cause pre-ignition and detination.

Since removing my thermostat my engine operates at the middle of the temp guage consistently. There is no noticable issues when cold. Also, my gas mileage has increased slightly.

My 2 cents. Your results may vary.
Karl

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”