Did I buy a motorcycle money pit????

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

portsmouth_gm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Did I buy a motorcycle money pit????

Post by portsmouth_gm »

I'm not having a good run. I've already posted about my bike stalling at low RPMs. Thanks for the feedback. Seems like there are some things to check out -- $ to $$ -- before having the carbs cleaned -- $$$.

On Wednesday, my choke broke. The lever itself is still intact and moves freely. However, this is the problem. The lever now moves freely and has no effect on the choke whatsoever.

I was pushing the lever down before starting the bike when I heard and felt a click that I had not felt before. The choke lever then moved very freely in its path. No tension. It's currently useless. D'oh.

I thought it was a simple cable replacement. Dealer parts guy says he can't find a part for a choke cable anywhere. Is it electronic? Any insights?

So, I'm currently dealing with the following unexpected issues:
+ What the dealer said was "seepage" around some O-Rings is a pretty solid leak...in that it has made more than one puddle on the ground before. I call that more than seepage.
+ My engine is stalling at low RPMs
+ Broken choke

I intend(ed) to ride this bike around parts of the USA this summer -- approximately 7000 miles. I'm not trusting it all that much right now.

Thanks for listening/reading,
Greg
doug of so fla
Grand Tourer
Grand Tourer
Current bike(s): 07 gold wing
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Did I buy a motorcycle money pit????

Post by doug of so fla »

To get the choke cable you can contact Carl Leo from this site. He can also give you the information on what to check & how to fix the leaks and check carbs. Run some seafoam thru fuel system, adjust idling from black knurled knob on left side down by carbs. You can operate the choke (aka enrichener) from the left side right below the chrome carb cover you will see a bracket with a little brass looking shaft sticking thru the end, pull on bracket and it will move out push in & it is closed. The XII is a great MC and with the expertise from the websites you can make the XII to go any where you want..
doug of no fla
Bill52

Post by Bill52 »

How many miles on the bike? Call Carl Leo about the cable if anyone knows about it he will.
I have heard of a seal on the waterpump going and causing an oil leak, its down around the shifter, but someone more knowledable than myself will be along.
I had an oil leak on mine around the cam chain tensioner, cleaned it up and put some gasket goop around it and it seems to have cleared up.

portsmouth_gm wrote:I'm not having a good run. I've already posted about my bike stalling at low RPMs. Thanks for the feedback. Seems like there are some things to check out -- $ to $$ -- before having the carbs cleaned -- $$$.

On Wednesday, my choke broke. The lever itself is still intact and moves freely. However, this is the problem. The lever now moves freely and has no effect on the choke whatsoever.

I was pushing the lever down before starting the bike when I heard and felt a click that I had not felt before. The choke lever then moved very freely in its path. No tension. It's currently useless. D'oh.

I thought it was a simple cable replacement. Dealer parts guy says he can't find a part for a choke cable anywhere. Is it electronic? Any insights?

So, I'm currently dealing with the following unexpected issues:
+ What the dealer said was "seepage" around some O-Rings is a pretty solid leak...in that it has made more than one puddle on the ground before. I call that more than seepage.
+ My engine is stalling at low RPMs
+ Broken choke

I intend(ed) to ride this bike around parts of the USA this summer -- approximately 7000 miles. I'm not trusting it all that much right now.

Thanks for listening/reading,
Greg
Knight

Post by Knight »

Greg,

I thought the same thing when I first got my 88' back in January.
With the help from the guys and gals in here you'll get through it.. no biggie.

I had the infamous oil leak also. It was from the water pump seal.
I ordered the parts from Carl and got that job out of the way and it
stopped the leak. You can find a walk through with photos here!

My choke cable also broke a few months ago! No biggie. I just don't use it anymore.
Even on cold mornings I manage to get her cranked up. I will fix it some day but
wanted to work on more important things first.

Check your battery like others have mentioned. If it isn't up to snuff you can have a lot
of different things start happening. Also check that idle knob!

It's a real nice reliable bike, just fix what comes along and soon she'll be all fixed up
and you'll be glad you hung in there.

Pete
Nathan (South Carolina)
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Nathan (South Carolina) »

Greg I thought the same about my '01 after the 3 yr. warranty expired. I didn't purchase an extended warranty because other than a rear end leak, no major problems under the warranty period. Two months out of warranty, front fork seals, water pump, and fuel pump replaced for more than the extended warranty would have cost. That was at 38,000 miles. I now have 95,000 miles and have only had, so far, to repair the rearend, water pump and front fork seals again. Hopefully everything will be fine during my trip to Santa Fe in July.
Lone Eagle
2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
Bill52

Post by Bill52 »

Kinda of depends on where you are as to whether or not you need a choke, up here I have trouble getting the bike to fire with a choke. It doesn't sem to like less than 8-10 degrees C(around 50 F).

Knight wrote:Greg,

I thought the same thing when I first got my 88' back in January.
With the help from the guys and gals in here you'll get through it.. no biggie.

I had the infamous oil leak also. It was from the water pump seal.
I ordered the parts from Carl and got that job out of the way and it
stopped the leak. You can find a walk through with photos here!

My choke cable also broke a few months ago! No biggie. I just don't use it anymore.
Even on cold mornings I manage to get her cranked up. I will fix it some day but
wanted to work on more important things first.

Check your battery like others have mentioned. If it isn't up to snuff you can have a lot
of different things start happening. Also check that idle knob!

It's a real nice reliable bike, just fix what comes along and soon she'll be all fixed up
and you'll be glad you hung in there.

Pete
Knight

Post by Knight »

Greg
Well actually I forgot to mention that you can reach down there with your right finger
and operate the choke if you really need it.
I've done that on occasion too.

Pete
Furchin
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Furchin »

Greg, I have a used choke cable that I will give you if you pay the shipping.
'87 Kawasaki Zl600 Eliminator-Red
'87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator-Black
'87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator-Pearl White
'87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator-Red
'96 Kawasaki Voyager
WhiskeyDoc

Post by WhiskeyDoc »

My recent oil leak started suddenly after I noticed a water pump leak. When I took the bike to Leo in TN (on my way to Charleston for vacation) he said the oil leak often follows a water pump leak. In my case he needed to replace the water pump and the oil leak was fixed.

PS: Your Voyager may have some issues, but the repairs done by you or taking the bike to Leo for a complete front to back refurbish is way less money than even part of the down payment on one of the newer bikes on the market! Hang in there! The Voyager is user friendly and worth your time and money to make it right.
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 223 times

Post by Me Again »

portsmouth_gm
Post subject: Did I buy a motorcycle money pit????

I'm not having a good run. I've already posted about my bike stalling at low RPMs. Thanks for the feedback. Seems like there are some things to check out -- $ to $$
Now that you have had a couple months to tinker, hows it running.

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”