Trailer wiring V12

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

royalnine
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Trailer wiring V12

Post by royalnine »

I am building a trailer (Harbor freight/cargo box special) and I was wondering what others are doing for wiring on the Voyagers? Are you guys running a 5-4 converter like the Hoppy 46255 or are you adding additional lights to the trailer? Any input and pro's/con's would be appreciated. Thanks.
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX

Re: Trailer wiring V12

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

royalnine wrote:I am building a trailer (Harbor freight/cargo box special) and I was wondering what others are doing for wiring on the Voyagers? Are you guys running a 5-4 converter like the Hoppy 46255 or are you adding additional lights to the trailer? Any input and pro's/con's would be appreciated. Thanks.
Did you try a search of the old forum, I think this discussion was done there with some connection tips. Or, of course, someone can respond here. I know the search on the old forum is a pain, but you might find it in the first few pages.
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
WhiskeyDoc

Post by WhiskeyDoc »

I just did mine in January. I used a Hoppy 5 to 4 flat converter. The major problem I had was that someone had been "there" before me and the wires on the bike were not all the right colors.

I just used a test light to find the correct wire on the bike and then wired them into the proper wire for the converter. Very simple if you use the test light and make sure you have a good ground on trailer.

Someone around here used a 6 wire plug so he has extra hot wires for the trailer. One for a interior light, another for a power accessory plug in the trailer.

Many folks also convert the lighting on the trailer to LED lights for a much lower power draw than conventional lighting.
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

I decided to just add lights instead of using a converter. Sidenote: we actually had a Ford Escape in our shop a couple weeks ago that had one of those converters on it. Tail lights weren't working. Converter had gone bad.

After pulling the trailer for a while, I converted all the bulbs over to LED (on the trailer). Before, I could tell there was a drain on the bike's electrical system because of how much slower the blinkers blinked. After changing the bulbs over to LED, there is no difference in blinker speed with or without the trailer hooked up.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
stanj1163

Trailer Wiring

Post by stanj1163 »

I built a Harbor Freight trailer a couple of years ago and topped it with an old Sears cartopper cargo pod.
I used a converter form NAPA so I could also pull the trailer with my truck. By the way, the kit I used came with a 3 foot extension cord so I mounted the plug under the trunk on the bike. This keeps it clean and dry and theres no way to drag it like I have seen some others do from time to time.
Stan
Grassl B.

Changing bulbs on trailer light to LED bulbs

Post by Grassl B. »

I would like to change the tail light bulbs on my motor cycle trailer to LED bulbs . I used a 4 wire converter when I wired my bike and have just two lights on the trailer. I bought some red LED bulbs and replaced the original bulbs with the LED's. The running lights were poor, and when I put the signal lights on, I could barely see them. Did I buy the wrong bulbs?
Thanks, ride safe!!
stanj1163

LED Bulbs

Post by stanj1163 »

I've seen LED replacement bulbs priced from$3.99 all the way into the low 20s. While I haven't converted yet, I get the feeling from others that it's a case of you get what you pay for.
The Count

Post by The Count »

With LED replacement bulbs it is very important to pay attention to which way the LED's are facing. Your LED bulb when installed should have as many Individual LED's facing the lense as possible. Also it is important to buy the same color LED's as the lense you are trying to illuminate. I think that the 1157 bulbs I bought had 24 LED's and the 194 bulbs had 5 LED's. My lights are now brighter than they were with the stock bulbs.....
flip18436572
Traveler
Traveler

Post by flip18436572 »

So, I need to buy Red 1157 LED bulbs with 24 LED's on the bulb? What about the side marker lights?
Swim, bike, run; sounds like fun!!!!
The Count

Post by The Count »

Here are the type of 194 LED's I purchased. I will look for the 1157 bulbs I purchased.....

Click Here For ebay Link
The Count

Post by The Count »

Here is a link for the 1157's. I was mistaken about the number of LED's.

Click Here For ebay Link
The Count

Post by The Count »

I forget how much I paid for mine. There are more places than this to buy them. All I can say is be patient and look around for the best deal. I purchased mine on Ebay but not from this supplier.
They do work very well though. I have more lights on the bike than ever before as you probably know, and they are brighter, and my alternator is charging better than it was stock. Plenty of room left for more accessories.....
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX

LED Supplier List

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

There is a special LED lighting links special on the AVA Related Links page. Some are retail, some are wholesale.
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

http://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb-notes.htm

I went with the 24 LED for the tail lights on my trailer, and the lower rear fender. Can't remember what I put in the rear turn signal on the trailer, but went with the WLED x5 wedge base for the running lights. The WLED x5 has 4 radially mounted LEDs. Actually, hold on a sec....

I knew I had a picture somewhere. The 24 LED has 18 lights the shine out the back and 6 lights that are radially mounted. You can see a couple of the radial lights on the back side of the circuit board. Thought about the 30 LED, but didn't know if I had room in my housings for them.

Is it as bright as a regular bulb? Probably not, but I can always add more an still not reach the amount of draw on the system as before, and that was the whole point in converting over. I did buy a couple of the 194 with the inverted cone on the end but I don't think they worked as well as the WLED x5 bulb.
"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

garry

love those picture

Post by garry »

like a picture tells me what to look for
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Re: love those picture

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

garry wrote:like a picture tells me what to look for
Garry I believe the picture was to serve the purpose of showing what the LED lights look like and positioning of the LED's them selves, as the LED's do vary depending on the application needs. Some are pointed straight outward while others are at 90 degree angles, and then the type shown in the picture above with radiating lights around the edge as well as straight. These would help to illuminate the entire light assembly and in some applications where a lens wraps around a corner would guarantee that the light is shown/seen in all directions.

If there is something that you are looking for, just ask and someone will assist. :!:

You catch more bears with honey than what you will using vinegar! ;-)
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

Re: love those picture

garry wrote:like a picture tells me what to look for
Funny, I thought that the website address and model numbers of bulbs included in the 3 paragraphs would have told you that.
Scott-(Altoona, PA) wrote: You catch more bears with honey than what you will using vinegar! ;-)
Maybe he was looking for a specific type of bear?

xszgrider

Harbor Freight Trailer and Hoppy Converter

Post by xszgrider »

I am currently using a Harbor Freight trailer with the Hoppy converter.

I had to have my alternator modified to 55 amps to handle the additional load caused by my trailer and running lights. In addition, I lengthened the tongue 10 inches to make it tow better.
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer

I lengthened mine also.

biker4life
Current bike(s): 2000 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Re: Trailer wiring V12

Post by biker4life »

i've been wanting to upgrade my alternator to 55 also but cant find someone local in nyc who will do it. where did you get yours done at and how much did it cost. i have put alot of led lights on and am in the process of hooking up a trailer and i believe i could use the extra output. i notice my lights dim a little now whenever i hit the brakes .

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”