tree of shame aint big enough

Visited a nice place? Taken a great ride? Wonder where to go on your next ride? Check it out here!

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

tree of shame aint big enough

Post by ekap1200 »

Hello all , spent 6 days up at Kickstand lodge NC and sorry to say, seen the emt's going to and from the dragon 1 to 4 times a day. I was so concerned I didn't run it until I left for home on 08/06/09. Went on allot of runs with all the new people I met and the dragon is not that bad. We were riding all over the area and rode more twisties than the dragon. Great riding in that area, and the folks I met were great, all makes and models. It didn't matter what you rode, just that you were out there. Only seen one other voyager, and met one serviceman whose parents are AVA members. Can't remember his name but if someone knows that there son was staying out at Kickstand Lodge first week in aug. let him know I got home safely. I would like to say thanks to all the ava members for sharing all the little quirks with the 1200's that I took care of before I left. The bike ran and handled flawlessly and the suspension changes made it handle the twisties great. The Smokies are in my top ten list of places to ride. Gene from Jersey
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: tree of shame aint big enough

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

Hey Gene,
Glad you enjoyed your time in the Smokeys. Did you eat some of Mo's evening meals? Did you tent camp or stay in one of the camping cabins?
There are definitely beautiful roads and scenery in the Smokeys. Check out Mad maps for some great loop rides in the area.
The first time I rode the Dragon I didn't know I was on it because I came in from the Tennessee side and it was near dusk during a weekday so there was no traffic on it. I saw it as just another extremely twisty road that required total concentration.
The next day when I started from the North Carolina end and rode with the hundreds of other people on the road it was nerve racking. It is a narrow road and I noticed all the skid marks going off into the woods. I had to keep telling myself to look through the turn. Then the vehicles coming the other way would cross the yellow line. Talk about pucker factor!
Some friends and I will be riding the entire Blue Ridge Parkway the middle of September. We will camp along the way. Should be a good time.
2010 Voyager 1700
Okie34
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 94 Voyager XII
07 Daelim S2 250
06 CF Moto Fashion 250

Post by Okie34 »

Riding the Tail of the Dragon is kind of like going to Sturgis! Just one of those things that one must do. Personally, I have no plans to make it to Sturgis. Oh well. However, some day, maybe when I grow up a little and my wife takes pity on me, I might get to ride the Dragon. Long haul from Okieland, but certainly looks like it may be worth it. Seen the pics, heard the stories, it's kind of like wanting to go to Alaska, or someplace similar. One of those things you want to do, but can never really get the time to do.

I wanna go!

-- JD
Dion
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2006 Goldwing 1800 1989 Honda Pacific Coast 800

Post by Dion »

That serviceman you met may have been my nephew Chase Liphart he was down there riding the dragon last week with his brother they where riding Harleys :tho:
President Wisconsin Badgerland Voyagers member Illinois Prairie Voyagers, American Voyager Association Bikes 2006 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing / 89 Honda PC. 800 In God We Trust
Mr Jensee
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): Phone 337-781-8158
Home Phone disconnected.
Previous bikes. Yamaha 180, Honda CM200T, Suzuki 1000LNKawasaki ZRX1100.
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Mr Jensee »

Okie34 wrote:Riding the Tail of the Dragon is kind of like going to Sturgis! Just one of those things that one must do. Personally, I have no plans to make it to Sturgis. Oh well. However, some day, maybe when I grow up a little and my wife takes pity on me, I might get to ride the Dragon. Long haul from Okieland, but certainly looks like it may be worth it. Seen the pics, heard the stories, it's kind of like wanting to go to Alaska, or someplace similar. One of those things you want to do, but can never really get the time to do.

I wanna go!

-- JD
I've always wanted to as well. Maybe we could meet someplace and ride there together sometime in the future. I think you and I are about the same distance from the Dragon....
For Voyager XII Manuals click the link below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ao3K0Ai2gvglgS3l7J4pBJrjfBhc
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

If you are coming from the west and heading to the dragon you can always stop off at my place for a rest. I only have one bedroom, but you can always pitch a tent, or just borrow some tools if you need to adjust something on your bike. I am in the AVA directory.
2010 Voyager 1700
Okie34
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 94 Voyager XII
07 Daelim S2 250
06 CF Moto Fashion 250

Post by Okie34 »

Hey, I see a springtime plan coming together! My Son is stationed in Ft. Campbell and this might just work out as a nice opportunity to go visit! Of course, it all depends on deployments and such...

-- JD
ekap1200
Master Fabricator
Master Fabricator
Current bike(s): 2000 voyager end of year total. 108.634
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by ekap1200 »

Hey David, Mo puts out a gooooood dinner, guess you've been there before.
She is one of a kind, rode in there soaked and the first thing she said was, the beer's over there, how much money do you have. Then she said the bunk house is at the end go check the place out,,,,,then she just left! Talk about laid back. but I never had to worry about the bike or my gear, everyone looked out for each other and it just seemed like family.
Hey Okie34, just do it, head on down the the great smokie mountains for the best twisty roads I ridden so far.
Dion was his brother in the service also, and with a very bad back injury requiring a hi-tech back brace? If so, then they were at kickstand lodge also.
JD Same advice just go , you'll love the roads, great shape, the HD people call it hard tail heaven, no pot holes or tore up roads like the northeast, But if you go to kickstand lodge Mo Will put you to work LOL. I had a great time Gene from Jersey
"Its not bad if you don't know something, but when you don't know you don't know; That's when your in trouble". Joe Place 1912-2008 (my grandfather)
Dion
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2006 Goldwing 1800 1989 Honda Pacific Coast 800

Post by Dion »

No to the back brace so the wrong guys but they were in the area
President Wisconsin Badgerland Voyagers member Illinois Prairie Voyagers, American Voyager Association Bikes 2006 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing / 89 Honda PC. 800 In God We Trust

Return to “Travel Reports, Ideas, Questions, Suggestions”