is pulling a trailer hard on tires and brakes

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

Tele Mondragon
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

is pulling a trailer hard on tires and brakes

Post by Tele Mondragon »

:hmm: When I bought my trailer I didn't know it was so hard on the tires and the brakes. Why is that? :-O
Ditto
Streetster
Streetster

Re: is pulling a trailer hard on tires and brakes

Post by Ditto »

You are adding more weight to the bike so the wear on tires and brakes will be greater. The trailer is pushing the bike when you try to stop it.
Gary (Ditto) GA
1993 Voyager XII
2001 Voyager XII (Parts bike)
Scott-(Altoona, PA)
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 2001 Voyager XII
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 121 times

Post by Scott-(Altoona, PA) »

Also to minimize the tire wear make sure your trailer is loaded (weight distribution) correctly so the tongue weight is right. Too much/little will affect how it pulls and pushes on the Voyager.
Search the message forum for tongue weight and you'll find good information! :thmup:
Mid-Atlantic Voyagers chapter secretary {"scribe"}
2001 Voyager XII
We may not know them all, but we owe them all! Thank a Veteran today!
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

Although pulling a trailer will be harder on your bike, I would check to make sure everything otherwise is in good operating condition and is not worsening your problem. Go to the AVA Tech Center and read the article "Sticking, Dragging, or Moaning Front Brake" in the Voyager XII section. If that is not a problem, how fresh is your brake fluids- what color are they, if they are anything but fairly clear (root beer color is way too contaminated), change and flush the respective systems.
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

How much does your loaded trailer weigh?
What is the tongue weight?
Are you adjusting your suspension to compensate for the extra weight?
Are you inflating your tires to handle the extra weight?
Are you giving yourself more time to slow down so you don't have to apply the brakes harder then without trailer?

Are the bike and trailer wheel bearings in good shape and properly lubed?
Trailer tire pressure set for the load weight?

My wife adds about 140lbs to the bike and I notice that she is on the bike when accelerating and braking. I can imagine what a 300lb trailer would feel like.
2010 Voyager 1700
Tele Mondragon

Post by Tele Mondragon »

:hmm: Hi all; I got lots of great advice befor I left on my trip. I changeg the break fluid, pads and one tire. I checked the trailer berrings and repacked them. Every day I hooked the trailer to the bike I weighed the hitch to 38-40lb. The trailer weighed close to 450 lb full with cooler and the works. I lived in it for the whole month of July and the temp was averageing 90 degrees. I am Proud to say it took it very gracefuly and am looking forward to the next year. I ride all year round unles there is snow on the roads. A couple shops told me the life of a tire on a bike is 8 to 10,000 mi and pulling a trailer it cuts it in half and that is about what happened. I pulled the trailer about 3,000 out of 4,6oo total round trip. GREAT TRIP.
mike.punko

Post by mike.punko »

I've heard that you need to do something with the gearing as well? is this true?
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

mike.punko wrote:I've heard that you need to do something with the gearing as well? is this true?
Not quite sure what you are referring to Mike. Are you are talking about changing the rear gear ratio, or the transmission ratios?

I have never heard of anyone doing this. They just have to take it easy on the throttle and the brakes.

Kind of like a 4 cyclinder truck pulling a boat vs an 8 cylinder truck. The 4 cylinder truck can do it, but you have to keep the RPMs up to stay in peak HP range.
2010 Voyager 1700
Nathan (South Carolina)
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Nathan (South Carolina) »

A couple shops told me the life of a tire on a bike is 8 to 10,000 mi and pulling a trailer it cuts it in half and that is about what happened. I pulled the trailer about 3,000 out of 4,6oo total round trip. GREAT TRIP.

I occasionally pull a trailer and I average around 20,000 miles on Avon Venom X front and rear. Similar mileage has also been recorded with Dunlop Elite 3's. I recently pulled my trailer over 5,000 miles during my trip to the AVA Rally in New York and both tires on the bike still have plenty of tread left. The original Dunlops that came with the bike did not fair that well. They averaged about 10,000 miles wear. What brand of tire are you using that has that short of mileage wear?
Lone Eagle
2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
mike.punko

Post by mike.punko »

I recently had to change otu my tires at a little over 5,000 miles, but found out later at the shop it was due to improper air pressure, I'm now faithfully checking every 2nd ride or 2nd day of riding which ever comes first.
TheAudiDoc
Traveler
Traveler
Current bike(s): 2015 Harley Ultra Limited
2009 VV1700 SOLD

Post by TheAudiDoc »

mike.punko wrote:I recently had to change otu my tires at a little over 5,000 miles, but found out later at the shop it was due to improper air pressure, I'm now faithfully checking every 2nd ride or 2nd day of riding which ever comes first.
no the stock tire sucks.... run dunlop E3's and you'll get 20K out of them
Work hard.....Ride Harder!
Mike Pisarski , Tecumseh, MI
2015 Harley Ultra Limited
2009 Voyager Silver/Black Sold
2010 & 2011 Showdown 1st Place
It's A U D I
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

TheAudiDoc wrote:
mike.punko wrote:I recently had to change otu my tires at a little over 5,000 miles, but found out later at the shop it was due to improper air pressure, I'm now faithfully checking every 2nd ride or 2nd day of riding which ever comes first.
no the stock tire sucks.... run dunlop E3's and you'll get 20K out of them
Hey Mike, What air pressure are you running front and back? do you change it when loaded down? I have yet to find a place where pressures of the E3 on the 1700 is discussed.
2010 Voyager 1700
mike.punko

Post by mike.punko »

The dealership set them to 32/42 Front/Rear, so that's where I'm keeping it. My wife and I together only weight 310 lbs combines so I'm not going to adjust it, but if I was pullign a trailer the dealership told me to go 34/44

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”