Winter list

Got a tech tip for Voyager 1300's from your personal experiences, or one complete with pictures and instructions, here's where to post it. You can also ask about tips or procedures here.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

rite-on
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Winter list

Post by rite-on »

Ok, so the bike is in the garage for the year, last time i tried to start it was cold out and guess what.... it didn't start. :cold:
I bought the bike earlier this summer so this is the first time I had a problem with it.
With 45k miles on it and after reading many posts, I'm probably looking at valves that need to be shimmed. Could somebody tell me how advanced this procedure is, where can I get the tools/parts and about how long would it take to do?
Thanks in advance!
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 223 times

Re: Winter list

Post by Me Again »

If you haven't already ,join this site

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/1300Voyager/

There was recently a good thread about temp sensors and cold starting.There is also some good pics in the photo section on checking /setting the valves . As far as special tools ,a good feeler gage is probably the most important followed by a couple pry tools you can make with a bent screw driver.
There are a couple guys on that site do it so often they can fly right threw it ,but I think realistically you better figure a whole afternoon.Unless your good at salvaging gaskets it would not hurt to have a new one on hand .Make sure your dealer is open when you do this because you will need to get the correct shims after checking your gaps. Long time ago many dealers would just swap shims with you but with so many bikes going to hydraulic lifters they now charge anything from 5 to 10 bucks each.

Return to “Tech Tips - Voyager 1300 Six”