questions on suspension and shocks

This is for general posts and questions concerning only the Voyager XII (1200cc, Four-cylinder) Years 1986 thru 2003.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

jdzimme
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
1997 Voyager XII
2002 Voyager XII
2007 Yamaha RoadStar Silverado
1977 Yamaha XS7502D
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

questions on suspension and shocks

Post by jdzimme »

These questions have to do with my "new to me" 97 Voyager.
I checked the air pressure in both the front and rear. Found almost 30 lbs in the front and 50 lbs in the rear. I know the gauge is accurate because I have used it on other air systems and then checked with other gauges and they were all pretty close to dead on. it is a hand pump I bought at HD. I checked the pressure because I did not like the way it handled in corners. It kind of wallowed, not solid like I thought it should be. Was a little surprised at the pressure readings. So I lowered the front to 8lbs (the front end went down considerably) and the rear to 25lbs. Oil came out of the schrader valve for the rear shock system, not steady stream but mixed with the air, about medium mix (if that makes sense). That cannot be good, right??
Went for a ride, It actually rode harder less bounce -- well not bounce but less slow up and down motion. I still did not like the way it handles in turns, not solid.
So my questions are;
1) How can I tell if the front forks have been changed to progressive springs? How hard is that to do with these air type front forks
2) How can I tell if the fork brace is installed, anyone have a photo of one installed (closeups)
3) What does it mean when oil comes out of the schrader valve for the rear?
4) Is the Voyager usually solid in the corners?
5) How does the front fork with air work -- is there a spring and a bladder for air, just a bladder or what?

I ordered the floorboards and heel/toe shifter from Carl Leo. Those should make it more comfortable for me to shift, as I am use to floorboards with heel/toe shifter. It has been years since I had to use my toe to up-shift.

Thanks in advance
Ride often and Ride Safe
2002 Voyager XII
1997 Voyager XII
1995 Voyager XII

Jerry
David (N. Alabama)
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Current bike(s): 2007 Kawasaki Mean Streak
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager 1700
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
2010 Moto Guzzi V7 Café Classic
1975 Kawasaki KT250 Trials
2014 Triumph Trophy SE

Re: questions on suspension and shocks

Post by David (N. Alabama) »

You will probably have to look at the spring to tell if it is the progressive spring. You have to wonder why the air was so high and what seals are now weak because of it.

I didn't like dealing with the air suspension so I went with progressive shocks and race tech springs with gold valve emulators up front. new tires make a difference in the turns also. Plus a properly adjusted steering head nut.

Some have been successful with rebuilding the rear shocks, changing the oil etc.

There should be a pic of the superbrace in the AVA sales section off the main amervoyassoc.org page.
2010 Voyager 1700
Robert in Arkansas

Post by Robert in Arkansas »

I run 10 lbs. in the front shocks and 35 to 45 lbs. in the rear, depending on if I'm hauling a passenger. The wallowing you are feeling in corners may just be the Voyager. It has been described as feeling like it has a hinge in the middle, however I have experienced this only during extremely hard cornering.
Me Again
King of the Road
King of the Road
Current bike(s): 1988 1300 Voyager
Been liked: 223 times

Post by Me Again »

What does it mean when oil comes out of the schrader valve for the rear?

Although it is possible the drop from 50 to 25 may have pushed a little oil threw ,it is likely the shocks have been overfilled.
I recently changed oil in my 1300 shocks and find that with the correct amount of oil and the shocks completly depressed all the oil should be in the shock and not in the lines.
jre258 in SoDak
Cruiser
Cruiser
Current bike(s): 1990 XII Voyager

Post by jre258 in SoDak »

There is usually a spacer and a breather filter in the front fork with the stock springs. Progressive springs don't use or need them, but without the filter you will get some oil out of the front suspension schrader valve.
Jim
The cager waving at you might just be a frustrated, fellow biker.
jdzimme
Streetster
Streetster
1997 Voyager XII
2002 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS7502D

Post by jdzimme »

Me Again wrote:What does it mean when oil comes out of the schrader valve for the rear?

Although it is possible the drop from 50 to 25 may have pushed a little oil threw ,it is likely the shocks have been overfilled.
I recently changed oil in my 1300 shocks and find that with the correct amount of oil and the shocks completly depressed all the oil should be in the shock and not in the lines.
are you talking about the front shocks or rear shocks, I did not get oil from the front shock valve only the rear.
jre258 in SoDak wrote:There is usually a spacer and a breather filter in the front fork with the stock springs. Progressive springs don't use or need them, but without the filter you will get some oil out of the front suspension schrader valve.
Jim
Are the progressive springs you are talking about, without air?

I do not understand how the fork brace works, aren't you replacing one chunk of metal for another? is the stock brace flexing?

thanks
Ride often and Ride Safe
2002 Voyager XII
1997 Voyager XII
1995 Voyager XII

Jerry
The Count

Post by The Count »

The stock brace is hollow and the aftermarket brace is a solid piece of aluminum. There are mixed feelings about the installation of a Superbrace. I installed one on my XII and didn't notice any difference. I still feel better with it than without......
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

Are the progressive springs you are talking about, without air?
Most can use Progressive springs with no air in the forks. Those that wish a slightly firmer feel or like "sportier" ride performance may use up to about 10 lbs with the Progressives.
I do not understand how the fork brace works, aren't you replacing one chunk of metal for another? is the stock brace flexing?
The stock brace as mentioned by The Count is not as strong or rigid as the SuperBrace. Fork braces tend to get rid of "flex induced" wobble, which is not the wobble associated with a loose steering stem, but can contribute to lessening that affect. If you go to the AVA Gift Shop page linked from the AVA homepage, then scroll down to the SuperBrace listings. Their is a link there that you can click that will take you to SuperBrace's website and explain how the SuperBrace (and the stock brace, but to a lesser degree) works.
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
Chris near Kansas City
Elite Tourer
Elite Tourer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Chris near Kansas City »

This is the underside of a Superbrace on the left and stock piece on the right.

"You only live twice, or so it seems. One life for yourself and one for your dreams...." Nancy Sinatra

"If a man made it, a man can fix it." - Steve in Sunny Fla
jdzimme
Streetster
Streetster
1997 Voyager XII
2002 Voyager XII
1977 Yamaha XS7502D

Post by jdzimme »

as they say a picture is worth a thousand words. I ordered my superbrace and hope it stops some of the "wallowing" feeling I get in turns.
I did drag something the other day on right hand turn. did not think I was leaning that much, was riding two up so maybe more air in the rear shocks might have helped me avoid that. any thought on what would drag first on a right hand turn?

thanks
Ride often and Ride Safe
2002 Voyager XII
1997 Voyager XII
1995 Voyager XII

Jerry
Steve in Sunny Fla
Cruiser
Cruiser

Post by Steve in Sunny Fla »

Keep in mind there's an inherent problem with the design of the superbrace (and the stocker) in that it's not adjustable for the varying width s of the the fork tubes. I've read that folks have issues with the forks compressing and not rebounding when the superbrace is installed. This is due to stiction imparted from the brace to the upper fork legs. the seals take a beating in that situation, also. Apparently the stock fork brace flexes enough to not cause the stiction. Steve
Rhinestone Kawboy
Past Board Member
Past Board Member
Current bike(s): 1988 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1970 Honda CL350 Scrambler
1977 Carabela Marquesa 125 MX

Post by Rhinestone Kawboy »

Steve in Sunny Fla wrote:Keep in mind there's an inherent problem with the design of the superbrace (and the stocker) in that it's not adjustable for the varying width s of the the fork tubes. I've read that folks have issues with the forks compressing and not rebounding when the superbrace is installed. This is due to stiction imparted from the brace to the upper fork legs. the seals take a beating in that situation, also. Apparently the stock fork brace flexes enough to not cause the stiction. Steve
Although I have heard that there are rare instances where a SuperBrace may not be quite machined to specs, most of the time, the binding effect seems to be a result of improper installation where the tubes were slightly twisted to begin with, and not corrected before installation. I have found that stiction or more appropriate sticking is also a problem when the fork oil has not been changed and the fork internals cleaned or flushed clean before refilling with new fork oil. This may or may not also be more apparent using the more solid SuperBrace. Worn front fork bushing can also contribute to this because the now more solid and non flexing SuperBrace does not allow flex like the stocker did which might mask the worn bushings somewhat.

In other words, the SuperBrace with all adjustments and/or parts being in good condition, should fit properly and reduce "flex induced" wobble. It will not help or help little with loose (or too tight) steering stem, or worn bearing caused wobble.
Some Guy in PA. with Rhinestones (and lots of LED lights) on his 1988 Custom Voyager XII.
Iron Butt Member #47339
customridr

Post by customridr »

jdzimme,

Sometimes the muffler clamp will touchdown in turns if it is not rotated inward. Check the condition of the bolt and see if it shows signs of abrasion.

Return to “General - Voyager XII (1200 Four)”