Trailering a Voyager 1200

Use a trailer for M/C camping, storage, or hauling your bike? Need some wiring advice, brand or model advice? Here's where you want to be.

Moderators: the2knights, Highway Rider

jdzimme
Streetster
Streetster
Current bike(s): 1995 Voyager XII
1997 Voyager XII
2002 Voyager XII
2007 Yamaha RoadStar Silverado
1977 Yamaha XS7502D
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Trailering a Voyager 1200

Post by jdzimme »

There are those rare occasions when it is necessary to trailer a bike. Looking at my 97 Voyager XII I am wondering how to tie the bike down once it is on the trailer. Could someone who has trailered their Voyager tell me how they strapped it down with all the plastic around the handlebars and fork. Pictures would be great. So does anyone have experience with tying down the Voyager on a trailer?

thanks
Ride often and Ride Safe
2002 Voyager XII
1997 Voyager XII
1995 Voyager XII

Jerry
The Count

Re: trailering a Voyager XII

Post by The Count »

I usually try to use some sort of front tire motorcycle chock. Straps attached under the fairing to the lower portion of the triple tree and in the rear to the crash bars tied towards the front. Be careful not to pull it down too tight or you can sack out the springs. (Don't ask how I know this.) Check straps shortly after leaving and then at every stop. Don't cover the bike in any way as the wind buffeting the cover can be terrible for the paint job......
Nathan (South Carolina)
Cruiser
Cruiser

Re: trailering a Voyager XII

Post by Nathan (South Carolina) »

The few times that I have trailered my Voyager XII, I strapped it as the Count stated under the fairing on the triple tree with soft ties and also on the handlebars with soft ties to clear the plastics. The handlebar straps are not cinched down too tight. They are used for stability in case one of the triple tree straps come loose. I have never used straps on the rear because the bike rides in a channel and that keeps any side movement to a minimum.
Lone Eagle
2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
flip18436572
Traveler
Traveler

Re: Trailering a Voyager 1200

Post by flip18436572 »

I have a flat bed trailer that I use to haul my dirt bikes on and I built three wheel chocks to be able to haul my dirt bike and the two for my daughters. When I finally purchased a Voyager XII, my wheel chocks were too narrow, so I made a quick set out of angle iron that bolted to the frame of the trailer and through the wood floor. I then slit some rubber tubing and put it over the edge of the angle iron for more protection, but it really isn't needed. That really makes a difference, because the front tire will not move at all after that.

Then I put two tie downs on the handle bars, two on the front crash bars and two on the rear crash bars for a total of six different tie downs. None of these have a large amount of the pressure to keep the bike upright but keep the bike very stable on the few times that I needed to trailer the bike. This is how it was shipped from Iowa to Tennessee for Carl to do a carb switch on mine. But, he strap it down completely different than I did and it was just as good of a job. He only uses 4 straps. I think it really depends upon how your trailer is setup and the location of the tie down hooks on the floor of your trailer.

I had pictures at one time, but I can't find them to post, and currently my trailer is under about 4 feet of snow drift and I don't think it will be out until May. That and my XII is hibernating under its cover and plugged into the battery tender.
Swim, bike, run; sounds like fun!!!!
Rick L
Current bike(s): 99 Voyager
95 Gold Wing SE

Re: Trailering a Voyager 1200

Post by Rick L »

1 person can tie a bike down but better with 2. As all above stated with the soft ties & straps, the one thing to remember is to not tie the bike down on either the side or center stand on trailer. This is where the second person is handy, to hold the bike up as it gets tied down verticle.
You run the risk of either bending the stand or breakage. Tie the bike down so the bike's suspension absorbs the shock whille trailering.
The country that forgets it's defenders, will itself be forgotten.
Rick Londagin

Return to “Trailers/Trailer Tech”